Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 07:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

PCID released plans for the proposed Perimeter Park at Dunwoody Station
Group unveils Perimeter Park plans - Reporter Newspapers
Looks good and PCID is trying to improve walkability to the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 08:46 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Both master plans look good to me, but I would have expected more differences between the two.

Master Plan 1 does not have the terraced seating and steps at the North Plaza. Master Plan 2 does not have the retaining wall with decorating railing or the information kiosk at the South Plaza.

I would prefer Master Plan 2's seating to Master Plan 1's retaining wall, but Master Plan 1's kiosk trumps that. (This is speaking as someone who does not mind a good adventure lol, but sometimes you just need info. about what is where more than anything else.) If they could replace the retaining wall with the seating, I'd think Master Plan 1 without question.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Both master plans look good to me, but I would have expected more differences between the two.

Master Plan 1 does not have the terraced seating and steps at the North Plaza. Master Plan 2 does not have the retaining wall with decorating railing or the information kiosk at the South Plaza.

I would prefer Master Plan 2's seating to Master Plan 1's retaining wall, but Master Plan 1's kiosk trumps that. (This is speaking as someone who does not mind a good adventure lol, but sometimes you just need info. about what is where more than anything else.) If they could replace the retaining wall with the seating, I'd think Master Plan 1 without question.
Why does the park need a kiosk? We have smart phones now.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Great idea, great plans.

Now--shouldn't we use this model for building new parks beneath MARTA tracks throughout the metro area?

Old 06-17-2014, 09:16 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why does the park need a kiosk? We have smart phones now.
Everyone does not have a smart phone and you're not exactly driving through the thing, but walking on foot, correct? The only time my iPhone has helped me in a park was a combo of apps (wahoo, endomondo, fitbit, etc.) that tracked a bunch of metrics about where I'd been but didn't give me any direction about where to go.

Let's say for some reason I decided to catch the train to Perimeter Mall and thought hey, this looks cool; let me check out this park. For all I know, it could be in a cellular dead spot for my carrier and sometimes the info leaves much to be desired when it comes to readibility, usability, and accuracy. Before I venture too far into it, I'd like to have some plan in place for how I will get back to the train on time based on what works for my schedule.

I mean I could look up a menu for almost any restaurant that I visit on my phone, but that doesn't mean I don't expect to see a menu when I arrive.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Everyone does not have a smart phone and you're not exactly driving through the thing, but walking on foot, correct? The only time my iPhone has helped me in a park was a combo of apps (wahoo, endomondo, fitbit, etc.) that tracked a bunch of metrics about where I'd been but didn't give me any direction about where to go.

Let's say for some reason I decided to catch the train to Perimeter Mall and thought hey, this looks cool; let me check out this park. For all I know, it could be in a cellular dead spot for my carrier and sometimes the info leaves much to be desired when it comes to readibility, usability, and accuracy. Before I venture too far into it, I'd like to have some plan in place for how I will get back to the train on time based on what works for my schedule.

I mean I could look up a menu for almost any restaurant that I visit on my phone, but that doesn't mean I don't expect to see a menu when I arrive.
I could see if it was a large park where you could not see across it, but its not even an acre.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:22 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
I could see if it was a large park where you could not see across it, but its not even an acre.
I would be in favor of the information kiosk.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would be in favor of the information kiosk.
And elbow room.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 AM

858 posts, read 1,385,644 times
Quote:
It's 5 acres, but in any case I'm sure that kiosk would provide info about the whole neighborhood, not just the park. Remember this is next to a transit station, so it's an entry point for visitors.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I love the idea of the park!

But I do wonder how it increases walkability to the mall. It looks to me like all of the park is as far away from the mall as the MARTA station itself.

What would be really cool is if they could build some sort of grade separated bridge that gives pedestrians access to the mall without traversing a parking lot.

I'm sure they will put some kind of sidewalk or something in, though, and that's better than nothing. This is how you do walkability in the suburbs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: