Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times

Advertisements

The Marietta Daily Journal - Taking real action New south Cobb tax district proposed to target blight

It'll start with a a bond for improvements then use tax revenues to pay it off. Blighted properties would be targeted and need to be improved. The idea is to encourage redevelopment of the Six Flags area.

I often forget that there's a reasonably sized chunk of Cobb County South of I-20. I usually think of it as just Six Flags and an industrial park, but it's much bigger than that.

I personally think that this thing should include a MARTA RAIL station.

Quote:
“There has been success in Marietta, Smyrna, Dunwoody and many others where they have an issue of declining apartment communities and its impact on the neighborhood — of finding a way of remediating that by removing some of the structures,” Johnson said. “I think the important part of that is learning from their successes and how they were able to stabilize an area through this method.”

Tax difference with a true CID:
Quote:
One difference is that whereas property owners in CIDs agree to the tax, but commissioners would be approving the tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:04 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Is it just me, or does everything have to be a CID now? I'm not necessarily knocking them, but they seem to be sprouting up everywhere. I just hope that they don't become too much of a good thing and everything ends up in a CID to the point where they're nothing special anymore and don't accomplish their goals any better than the normal government.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Is it just me, or does everything have to be a CID now? I'm not necessarily knocking them, but they seem to be sprouting up everywhere. I just hope that they don't become too much of a good thing and everything ends up in a CID to the point where they're nothing special anymore and don't accomplish their goals any better than the normal government.
They work. The first CID was Cumberland, formed in 1984. Due to its success, a lot of other CIDs formed: e.g. Perimeter Center, Buckhead CID, Boulevard, Gwinnett Place, North Fulton, downtown and Town Center. And now there's new ones forming, e.g. Tucker CID.

This new one isn't technically a CID, since it isn't voluntary to join, but that's just a technicality because once you look past how it's formed, it's virtually the same thing.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
They work. The first CID was Cumberland, formed in 1984. Due to its success, a lot of other CIDs formed: e.g. Perimeter Center, Buckhead CID, Boulevard, Gwinnett Place, North Fulton, downtown and Town Center. And now there's new ones forming, e.g. Tucker CID.

This new one isn't technically a CID, since it isn't voluntary to join, but that's just a technicality because once you look past how it's formed, it's virtually the same thing.
Think of a CID as an incorporated city with no residents. The "townspeople" are the businesses. They self tax themselves to improve their area. You won't find a lot of residents within a CID, if so they are primarily apartment complexes. Single family homes are rare.

Net, as to your call for a MARTA station, other than serving the park at 6 Flags, there aren't many residents here to justify a line when there are so many other areas more deserving. MHO of course.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Net, as to your call for a MARTA station, other than serving the park at 6 Flags, there aren't many residents here to justify a line when there are so many other areas more deserving. MHO of course.
I know politicians around there are calling for a MARTA expansion. It's really so close to Holmes that it wouldn't be very hard. http://tinyurl.com/pbfxdvj

There's a lot of business along Riverside, including but not limited to a Google data center. But it's mostly light industrial and small commercial. It's the weakest office market in the inner metro area. MARTA could encourage office growth in that area.

Also, the population density directly around Six Flags is higher than you'd expect. I'm talking about Six Flags Dr, Six Flags Pkwy, etc. It things out as you go out further from there until you get to the outer reaches of Smyrna's influence.

This area is completely cut off from the rest of Cobb, other than Powder Springs and Austell. By connecting it to MARTA, it may some day connect it via rail transit to Cumberland. It'd do so at much lower cost than building the transit through Cobb. It'd really be worth Cobb's while to fund a MARTA station out there. A big win for Atlanta would be getting Adamsville a station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta