Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:04 PM

10 posts, read 36,935 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just moved down here from L.A because of my gf and family Issues I'm Mexican-american I don't know the city or its people I was very shocked when I step Georgia soil everywhere I looked was black it seems all the races/ethinicities are minorities except BLACK not that I'm Racist or anything in fact my best friend is black like I said I was just surprised because in California whites and Latinos/Hispanics are each 40% of the population and Blacks 6% anyways back to my question I was curious if there's any racism hated discrimination towards latinos by blacks or do they get along?.

In California the attitude by latinos more likely Mexicans and blacks its out of control specially in SoCa is it the same in Georgia or they tend to mind their own businesse??.

Last edited by Freq09; 06-24-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:08 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Mexican areas are pretty concentrated, like "little Mexico" in Cobb. Hispanic areas tend to border white and asian areas, or integrated areas. So large black areas don't typically border large hispanic areas and I doubt there'd be much of a chance for tension to happen. I've never really heard of anything. I'm not aware of a big influence from hispanic gangs around here either. I've heard they are moving in somewhat, but there's no established hispanic gang present. Metro ATL has also very successfully contained gangs. Even in the bluff in Atlanta, there has been some major successes at combating national gangs, and even the local ones. So, I suspect things would never get bad enough that you'd start seeing significant warfare between black and hispanic gangs. I'm also not aware of any skinhead gang influences. There are established biker gangs.

Anyway, black people that live in mexican areas will be in a mexican area by choice. When I go to stores in the little Mexico part of Cobb, black people living and working there can typically speak Spanish. Same for white people there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freq09 View Post
very shocked when I step Georgia soil everywhere I looked was black it seems all the races/ethinicity are minorities except BLACK
Well, GA is 31% black and in some areas like South Atlanta it's more than 90% black. It's 4% white hispanic. I don't really know how much is black hispanic, but the 31% includes black hispanic.

Here you go

Last edited by netdragon; 06-24-2014 at 06:27 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 06:18 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,519 times
Blacks and Hispanics coexist pretty well in Hapeville and Clayton County. It's on the map, but it's pretty tough to see. No [racial] conflicts that I know of.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 PM

What's the Hispanic/Latino population in Atlanta? Not the metro area is it 5% or 10%?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 PM

48 posts, read 95,488 times
I don't think Blacks are shocked when they go to California to see so many Mexicans, considering its proximity to Mexico. Not sure why a Mexican American... would be shocked to see, so many blacks in a large southern city?

Also the black/latino tension is highly overrated in So Cal. I lived in Los Angeles for 5 years, and every other friend of mines is Mexican American, or half black and Mexican, or Guatemalan American , etc etc. If you notice the tension then you have to evaluate who you hang around, because most of that is more gang affiliated, and historically most gangs are made of members of same ethnic backgrounds.

Lastly, Mexico is one of the few latin countries without a real black population. So you normally don't find tension on the east coast between blacks and latinos, as many of the latinos here are Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, etc, and come from mix raced backgrounds. It's not completely uncommon to see black people speak spanish here as it is in California.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freq09 View Post
What's the Hispanic/Latino population in Atlanta? Not the metro area is it 5% or 10%?
It's at 5.2% and growing. Keep in mind Georgia as a state has the 6th highest illegal immigrant population in America (which includes all races of course), so you see a lot more than what the census actually counts.

Atlanta (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowell84 View Post
I don't think Blacks are shocked when they go to California to see so many Mexicans, considering its proximity to Mexico. Not sure why a Mexican American... would be shocked to see, so many blacks in a large southern city?

Also the black/latino tension is highly overrated in So Cal. I lived in Los Angeles for 5 years, and every other friend of mines is Mexican American, or half black and Mexican, or Guatemalan American , etc etc. If you notice the tension then you have to evaluate who you hang around, because most of that is more gang affiliated, and historically most gangs are made of members of same ethnic backgrounds.

Lastly, Mexico is one of the few latin countries without a real black population. So you normally don't find tension on the east coast between blacks and latinos, as many of the latinos here are Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, etc, and come from mix raced backgrounds. It's not completely uncommon to see black people speak spanish here as it is in California.

Yeah I forgot to mention all that is due to gang related problems. And the reason why Puerto ricans or East Coast latinos get along so great with African americans its because their countries of origin has black influence they even associate with them and the majority of Mexican culture its a admixture of European Spanish with native indigenous.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpowell84 View Post
I'm confused as to why he's shocked as well. We're the 3rd blackest state percentage-wise behind Mississippi and Louisiana, while Atlanta is sometimes referred to as a Black Mecca.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:56 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
We all mind our own business for the most part. We don't have real gangs like in LA. We have groups of stupid adults/teens but not traditional gangs like in LA. The news will say we have gangs but i consider them fake dumb criminals instead of gangbangers

Old 06-24-2014, 07:02 PM

Because I was not aware of the racial demographics of the southern Eastern states I like Atlanta actually very beautiful city. I have never left California and anglo whites and Hispanics equal the population you don't see many African Americans walking the street in CA you're lucky if u see one that's how rare it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta