Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:17 AM

298 posts, read 373,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So why is it not legitimate to ask whether these early problems have been squared away and whether there are any lingering issues?
Its the way you phrase it. Anyone familiar with the Beltline knows there were a few isolated incidents that occurred around the Beltline, but as we all know crime can happen anywhere and the media can often exaggerate it. You asking this question would be like me asking people who live in Cobb, "Hey, is Cobb County safe for babies? There's been recent news of babies being killed in parking lots. Have things changed?" Your comment was a simple troll. You can easily look up that information for yourself. Why ask it on this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 11:17 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
This is a complete non-issue. The Path Force is a nice PR save.
I respectfully disagree.

If the earlier crime problems have been resolved, then it's important to make that known and to explain how it was done.

If you don't think PR is a huge issue with new parks and trails, try building one sometime.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Thanks, magnetar.

Have you seen any stats since the new patrols went into operation last year?

One would think they would be pretty effective -- 15 officers for a six mile strip is heavy policing.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:56 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
Quote:
Have you seen any stats since the new patrols went into operation last year?

One would think they would be pretty effective -- 15 officers for a six mile strip is heavy policing.
I don't know if that data is available; APD reports by zone, and crimes on the BeltLine aren't reported separately from any other crimes in town. I guess you could look on the map if you wanted. http://spotcrime.com/ga/atlanta

At any rate, it's not 15 officers for a 6 mile strip:

Quote:
The Path Force Unit patrols seven days a week along the three completed trails of the Atlanta BeltLine, the Eastside Trail, West End Trail and the Northside Trail, as well as the interim hiking trails and the nearly complete Southwest Connector Trail. It also patrols adjacent parks including Historic Fourth Ward Park, D.H. Stanton Park, Boulevard Crossing Park and Piedmont Park.

APD Path Force Patrolling Atlanta BeltLine, Adjoining Parks // Atlanta BeltLine

Old 06-28-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I don't know if that data is available; APD reports by zone, and crimes on the BeltLine aren't reported separately from any other crimes in town. I guess you could look on the map if you wanted. http://spotcrime.com/ga/atlanta
Thanks again, magnetar. I checked the APD maps earlier but it's a little hard to tell whether anything is trail specific.

As to the number of cops I was just getting that from the AJC article you mentioned above (Beltline gets its own police unit | www.ajc.com). Sounds like they forgot to mention the parks.
"What might be described as a fairly safe six-mile strip of land officially gets 15 of its own cops Friday."

Old 04-30-2016, 03:13 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
AFRD Mobile Medics Join APD Path Force Officers on the Atlanta BeltLine

Quote:
In July 2013, the Atlanta Police Department Path Force began patrolling the Atlanta BeltLine’s Eastside Trail. For almost three years APD’s bike-mounted officers wearing dark jerseys – often patrolling in pairs – have been a visible presence along open sections of the Atlanta BeltLine’s 22-mile loop.
Quote:
ecently, though, you may have been out on the Eastside Trail and noticed firefighters in red jerseys also out on bikes. These firefighters are part of Atlanta Fire and Rescue Department’s Mobile Medics Bike Team – specially trained and equipped EMT’s and paramedics who are able to respond to medical emergencies. Mobile Medics and the Path Force will now work together to ensure the safety and security of visitors to the Atlanta BeltLine.
Quote:
For now, the Mobile Medics will be patrolling the Eastside Trail on Saturdays and Sundays from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm.

“Our hours and areas of coverage are based solely on the volume of people using the BeltLine,” Stafford says, “and the volume of users on the Eastside Trail during those weekend hours has reached a point where we can now justify the coverage. Extending hours of coverage on the Eastside Trail and expanding patrols to other sections of the BeltLine will occur as trail usage volume dictates.”

Old 04-30-2016, 03:22 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
I recall that there were some issues with robbery and vandalism in the early days of the eastside Beltline trail.

Has that been taken care of?

What's the policing like these days? Is there a regular police presence along the trail? Are there places or times that are considered less safe than others?
Oh boy, now you've done it.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:05 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
Arjay, is this really a major concern of yours? Have you ever been to the Beltline? This topic just seems like more suburban paranoia about black people in the big bad inner city. Either that or you're just trying to stir up more crap about crime to make Cobb look better by comparison.
I do believe he was asking a legitimate question. Why pull the race card on an innocent question?

Old 04-30-2016, 04:09 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Oh boy, now you've done it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I do believe he was asking a legitimate question. Why pull the race card on an innocent question?
Guys... those messages are a year old...

Old 04-30-2016, 04:11 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Guys... those messages are a year old...
You have a point there (as usual), fourthwarden. I should have looked at the date. I will settle down now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta