Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:18 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
I don't think it's going to pass. They are increasing the millage rate on school and county taxes and a great number of us have watched the assessor increase our property values (mine went up 33% this year alone). People are NOT going to want to support this.
You bring up a good point. That will certainly impact public opinion.

I just hope more voters are smart enough to remember they got assessment decreases (and lower property taxes) at the beginning of the recession and that is what has made the region's counties cash-strapped and behind on paying for some basic maintenance the last several years.

Most of it is just going back up to what it was pre-recession. There are some areas that are outpacing others though.

The increases on property taxes in metro counties are traditionally less for capital improvements and more for operations/maintenance. So when voting keep in mind new capital improvement projects mostly depend on the splost. The capital projects might be more important now, because we are going to grow faster again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 03:44 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
I don't think it's going to pass. They are increasing the millage rate on school and county taxes and a great number of us have watched the assessor increase our property values (mine went up 33% this year alone). People are NOT going to want to support this.
It's all the reason to support it, though. Tell your neighbors: Increased economic development ultimately means lower millage rates for homeowners. Places like the 20-story office buildings in Cumberland pay over a million dollars in taxes a year. Franklin Rd in Marietta is about to be torn down. It could be replaced with highrise, since there's some highrise around it.

Also, what's nice about the SPLOST is it's a sales tax and therefore partially funded by people from outside the county who shop in Cobb, conventioneers, etc.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
It's all the reason to support it, though. Tell your neighbors: Increased economic development ultimately means lower millage rates for homeowners. Places like the 20-story office buildings in Cumberland pay over a million dollars in taxes a year. Franklin Rd in Marietta is about to be torn down. It could be replaced with highrise, since there's some highrise around it.

Also, what's nice about the SPLOST is it's a sales tax and therefore partially funded by people from outside the county who shop in Cobb, conventioneers, etc.
SPLOST barely passed the last two times. If this is in there, kiss it good bye. I think it's time for a break anyway, the govt. has been relying on it too much. They just increased the millage rate and jacked up the value of my house and I'm still having to give my niece and nephew money for their Technology Teacher's salary while all the road projects have been in Marietta.

It's a NO vote for me regardless of the transportation money.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I think it's time for a break anyway, the govt. has been relying on it too much.
There's really no break, since with 30% of the SPLOST used for maintenance in disguise, our millage will go up without it. At least with SPLOST some of the costs are covered by people from other areas and conventioneers, and that'll increase with the Braves stadium. It'll also put more of the cost on renters, and not property owners, which will probably be a large growth in population for half the county. The BRT will happen regardless, but it's better that the cost for our match be covered by sales tax versus more bonds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
while all the road projects have been in Marietta.
Marietta is getting just a slice of the SPLOST, and using most of their money for intersection improvements, streetscapes and sidewalks. Here's the breakdown (2016 SPLOST Home):
$750,000,000 collected over 6 years
$ 38,862,220 for county wide projects
$526,241,957 for county projects

Each city in Cobb will receive a portion of the sales tax based on their population.
$ 21,208,827 for Acworth city projects
$ 6,725,280 for Austell city projects
$ 31,602,891 for Kennesaw city projects
$ 58,353,902 for Marietta city projects
$ 14,231,720 for Powder Springs city projects
$ 52,773,203 for Smyrna city projects

Full road project list for DOT for Cobb that aren't city projects / unincorporated areas: http://cobbcounty.org/images/documen...T_7_7_14_3.pdf
Marietta's list: http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws....016_SPLOST.pdf
Smyrna's List: http://www.smyrnasplost.com/news/pro...lost-projects/
Kennesaw's List: http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws....KCJC_chart.jpg
Austell's List: http://www.austellga.gov/index.asp?S...F&Type=B_BASIC
Powder Spring's List: http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws....ngs_splost.jpg
Note: Does anyone have better links for the small images?

Don't under-estimate even the smallest things, like the importance of streetlight projects, and transportation management infrastructure, if you've ever been caught in traffic.

Here's the 2011 SPLOST projects as well: SPLOST Home

Last edited by netdragon; 07-08-2014 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-08-2014, 02:52 PM

Is this the description for the BRT project?

TIER 2 PROJECTS
Cobb Parkway and Associated Corridor, Intersection and Pedestrian Improvements
Operational improvements to intersections, signalization, pedestrian facilities and roads that may also support enhanced transit service, if funded. Includes Chastain at Busbee Drive, Busbee Parkway at Big Shanty, Busbee Parkway at Barrett Parkway, South Barrett at US 41, Spring at Cumberland Boulevard, Cumberland Boulevard at Cumberland Parkway, Cumberland Blvd at Akers Mill (Cumberland Blvd safety and operational improvement included in Tier 1) Akers Mill at US 41, Akers Mill at I-75 and pedestrian improvements.
Kennesaw
Cumberland
1, 2, 3
$72,500,000

Old 07-20-2014, 07:30 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Chairman backtracks on BRT plan

Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The BRT is happening anyway, as long as the SPLOST is passed. This is all smoke and mirrors, and I think it's so funny. When the SPLOST goes up to the voters - most of the voters won't be aware of the reality that the SPLOST is still funding 1/5 of the BRT, and short an economic downturn, that tier 2 intersection improvements for transit is a certain since sales tax revenue is almost certain to increase, especially with the Braves stadium coming. They don't even need to keep the original BRT on tier 2 of the SPLOST anymore, because of the match.

Now, when you add in the Cobb Pkwy intersection changes which were already funded in the 2011 SPLOST, and are hugely hugely expensive, you now have $100 million for the local match and we have BRT.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:36 AM

fyi I just sent an email to Bob Ott warning him that he runs the risk of being voted out by Smyrna residents if he stays so opposed to the BRT.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:20 PM

559 posts, read 832,465 times
Quote:
Now, when you add in the Cobb Pkwy intersection changes which were already funded in the 2011 SPLOST, and are hugely hugely expensive, you now have $100 million for the local match and we have BRT.
Net, you hearing any rumors of major changes, i.e. tunneling to the Windy Hill/Cobb Pkwy intersection? Pipe-dreams or real possibilities?

And is it just my imagination, or has the Spring Road stretch between 41 and the Racetrack become markedly worse in just the last month or so? That Spring Road/Cumberland Blvd intersection simply cannot handle the west-bound Spring Road car volume now, much less when the Braves come. And I'm not sure $4 million in the next SPLOST is enough to fix it. Major bottleneck right there.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:26 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,125 times
Quote:
fyi I just sent an email to Bob Ott warning him that he runs the risk of being voted out by Smyrna residents if he stays so opposed to the BRT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta