Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 05:30 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
At best, this is an incredibly romanticized take on Atlanta in town living. Almost to the point of being a joke.
Since we don't have a streetcar, I'm going with joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 05:50 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
Taxes, crime, urban predators, taxes, anti-success culture, political corruption, taxes. Hard to find too many positives that outweigh these. If you have nothing, I suppose you have nothing to lose. Not my situation.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:52 PM

52 posts, read 74,453 times
One word for us.

Schools!

Old 07-19-2014, 06:08 PM

550 posts, read 989,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Taxes, crime, urban predators, taxes, anti-success culture, political corruption, taxes. Hard to find too many positives that outweigh these. If you have nothing, I suppose you have nothing to lose. Not my situation.
Interesting. I know plenty of people who live ITP whose quality of life is very high and who are not affected negatively by the factors you mention and find it worth it to pay the higher taxes in order to live in town.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:36 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
What the hell is an "urban predator?"

Old 07-19-2014, 11:28 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,780,501 times
By "downtown", I'm strictly answering wrt actual downtown, not midtown or anywhere else. If you meant otherwise, next time be more specific.
I live in Smyrna.
1. I have kids and like the schools in Smyrna; I wouldn't want to pay for private schools
2. I need room for family. My home is close to 4,000sq feet now that my basement is about to be finished.
3. Smyrna is densely populated enough for me with over 3,000/sq mi; close enough intown; Note: I wouldn't want to live any further out or anywhere more suburban in attitude like East Cobb.
4. Downtown's sidewalks and what-not are worn out from lots of pedestrian traffic, etc, and there is a pee smell everywhere from homeless people
5. Smyrna is more safe for kids
6. Smyrna has bicycle trails all over the city and Silver Comet
7. Downtown really only has a couple parks - centennial Olympic and whatever the one is along Piedmont or whatever; Whereas my subdivision has pool/tennis and there's also a park with playground around the corner
8. Too many homeless downtown
9. Taxes are lower
10. Cumberland/Vinings has almost everything downtown does
11. When it doesn't, it's very very close by
12. Where I live is wealthier than downtown. I like my family being around people that are not only motivated but successful, and who reflect that ethos on their children. It has nothing to do with race. I have quite a few black and Asian neighbors within a few houses of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post

Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 AM

You seem to be taking issue with my personal choice. The OP asked a very specific answer about what keeps me outside the city. It is not a itp versus otp, it is about personal choice.

If folks are happy with a choice that is enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
Interesting. I know plenty of people who live ITP whose quality of life is very high and who are not affected negatively by the factors you mention and find it worth it to pay the higher taxes in order to live in town.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 AM

You know. Don't be disingenuous. Those preying on the GT students awhile back is an example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post

Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Sounds like they are at again.

Police investigate 4 robberies in 1 night - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Old 07-21-2014, 08:07 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,669,252 times
1. Space. No way I could afford my 5,000 sf house on 1.5 acres downtown (if such a thing existed downtown.)
2. Taxes. Double my taxes? No, thank you.
3. Traffic comes to a standstill for every "event" downtown.
4. I work in the 'burbs. A reverse commute does not appeal
5. I live close enough to my office that I can easily bike to work.
6. I live in an area that is bursting with shopping, dining and entertainment opportunities. If I want to go to the High or the symphony, it's a 15 minutes MARTA ride. Done.
7. Love my neighbors and my community -- I'm happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta