Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,245 times

Advertisements

"Deloitte LLP has picked Atlanta as the site of a technology development center — a first of its kind for the global professional services firm.

New York-based Deloitte will invest “tens of millions” of dollars and create up to 400 high-tech jobs over the next few years at the 26,000 square foot downtown Atlanta “iLab,” where it will develop software and analytics products for its Fortune 250 clients.

Atlanta competed with six markets, including Silicon Valley/Bay Area, Texas, the Northeast and the Midwest..."

Full Story: Deloitte plans 400-job ?iLab? in Atlanta - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Awesome. Good to see Downtown getting its grove back and starting to beat out these major national markets to attract good jobs.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
I would love to see intown Atlanta become the tech/start up capital of the metro area and state.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:20 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I would love to see intown Atlanta become the tech/start up capital of the metro area and state.
I think it is already that way. There are some big tech companies up 400, but I think intown dominates the start-up tech scene with lots of incubators and shared spaces available. The real challenge is trying to boost our national profile so we can get draw more tech/start-up energy from Silicon Valley and the like.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
Please share. Where are these incubators and shared spaces? What types of companies are we talking about? How would one find out about these companies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think it is already that way. There are some big tech companies up 400, but I think intown dominates the start-up tech scene with lots of incubators and shared spaces available. The real challenge is trying to boost our national profile so we can get draw more tech/start-up energy from Silicon Valley and the like.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:56 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Please share. Where are these incubators and shared spaces? What types of companies are we talking about? How would one find out about these companies?

Actually mostly Midtown not Downtown.

VentureLab at Georgia Tech — We create great startups at Georgia Tech using evidence based entrepreneurship

Technology Business Incubator | ATDC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY6EFcCFCDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4qW5F6B3j4

Old 07-18-2014, 04:58 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
ATDC (Atlanta Technology Development Center)
ATV (Atlanta Technology Village)
Hypepotamus

Most of the Atlanta based startups I know of that have made it pretty big are really b2b software that most people have never heard of.

I'm not sure if any mass customer facing technology has come out of Atlanta.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:08 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
While it definitely wouldn't hurt to have a few Silicon Valley companies like Intel or Google open offices here, Atlanta must get past the mentality of attracting companies founded someone where else and began using the graduates, researchers, tech employees and investors already here to found and expand more home grown tech companies.

This is the way it's done in real tech centers like Silicon Valley, Boston, Austin, etc. etc.

For instance Steve Jobs and his colleagues first tried to peddle there computer idea at a Silicon Valley club known as "home grown" that encouraged the growth and development of locally founded companies. HP was started by local Standford and Berkley grads, same thing for Intel, Google and many more companies.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:19 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
Sounds like a great win for downtown. Atlanta is definitely a regional hub for tech, just like it's a regional hub for about everything else due to the metro's size. There aren't a ton of companies here but some of the ones we do have, like MailChimp, are beloved in the industry.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:13 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Great News, no one on this thread can criticize jobs that pay $100,000 locating Downtown Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: