Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 09:31 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,713 times

Advertisements

By Mary Kay Woodworth
Reporter Newspapers

"Two years ago, friends and neighbors in communities all across north-central DeKalb County began discussing a shared vision to follow in the footsteps of Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and Johns Creek to pursue a better quality of life through incorporation.

The goals of those seeking a city named “Lakeside” and those who prefer a larger map called “Briarcliff” are mutual: The overdue need for greater levels of local control in an area largely ignored by a county government. The ongoing crises simply exacerbate the problems.

DeKalb County has neglected our community by providing insufficient police protection, a woefully inadequate road-repair and sidewalks program, few parks, and zoning and land-use policies that fail to reflect our community values — to name just a few of the issues..."

Full Commentary: A better quality of life: The ultimate goal of the north DeKalb cityhood movement - Reporter Newspapers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
The ultimate goal of the north DeKalb cityhood movement
Surprised it doesn't mention independent school districts.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:52 AM

989 posts, read 1,743,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Surprised it doesn't mention independent school districts.
They can't put that in print, but ultimately that's the goal. I'm all for incorporating cities in the metro area. I'm also for allowing new school districts if your city reaches a certain size. Let's put it at around 100,000k This would make incorporating cities much more interesting, because in order to reach 100k you need more people and more land, which equals fewer cities. Atlanta would then be able to compete with annexation. Sandy Springs seems like the only city to qualify to me for a new school system.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:20 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
They can't put that in print, but ultimately that's the goal. I'm all for incorporating cities in the metro area. I'm also for allowing new school districts if your city reaches a certain size. Let's put it at around 100,000k This would make incorporating cities much more interesting, because in order to reach 100k you need more people and more land, which equals fewer cities. Atlanta would then be able to compete with annexation. Sandy Springs seems like the only city to qualify to me for a new school system.
I have not heard a single explanation justifying the city of Lakeside boundaries and their reluctance to compromise with Briarcliff and Tucker other than the city school district.

The others have broader goals.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:34 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I have not heard a single explanation justifying the city of Lakeside boundaries and their reluctance to compromise with Briarcliff and Tucker other than the city school district.

The others have broader goals.
Because they all have competing interest to take the commercial areas, which have always been Tucker... They should all join to become one city, named Tucker... Problem solved, but that would not work, because in order to get a new city on the ballot it must be majority republican. Politics my friend.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:36 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Local city government is better for people. All of Fulton and DeKalb should be incorporated.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Local city government is better for people. All of Fulton and DeKalb should be incorporated.
I don't necessarily disagree with this, but it has to be done right. One area in Dekalb between Avondale Estates and Decatur is facing annexation by Avondale. But the residents in the area really don't get anything out of it, other than a 33%+ tax increase. Sanitation remains functionally the same, the existing parks won't be improved any, other utilities remain, etc.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:54 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
They should all join to become one city, named Tucker
There's no way people in Oak Grove would allow themselves to be called Tucker.

If it is about the schools, a Tucker/Lakeside/Briarcliff merge is by far the best idea.

I think the Lakeside/Briarcliff merged city would be financially viable without the Northlake area. Tucker wouldn't be, though. This is why it's so irritating that Lakeside is unwilling to let go of Northlake.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:19 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,665,242 times
With the recent school board elections, it is unlikely that the Druid hills charter cluster will come to pass. I believe, again, that at least some of Druid Hills will be looking with some interest at annexation.

I am not convinced that there is enough tasable commercial property in the area to be two cities. They need to figure out how to get to one city...

Old 07-25-2014, 04:55 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
Totally agree, 100%.
(Because I've already given you rep points fairly recent and CD-atl won't allow me to do so again for the moment)

Quote:
Because they all have competing interest to take the commercial areas, which have always been Tucker... They should all join to become one city, named Tucker... Problem solved, but that would not work, because in order to get a new city on the ballot it must be majority republican. Politics my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta