Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

I would be in favor of this. It would be a great bump for NPU-N.

If the more remote areas were to join we might even need another NPU. (Although we are close to be out of letters).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 01:08 PM

280 posts, read 389,570 times
Here is a report of the August 21 cityhood and annexation meeting from a Clairmont Heights Civic Association viewpoint:

Annexation meeting notes from 8/21/14 | Clairmont Heights Civic Association

From CHCA resident representative Jim Smith and Mark Knowles on meeting with Druid Hills Civic Association : Impressions and notes from 8/21/2014 meeting at Fraser Center.

1. Annexation of DHCA into the City of Atlanta is not imminent, but is actively under consideration. They plan to survey their residents (4400 homes) with final results by Thanksgiving. This has to be completed before they can either petition the city to annex them (rarely done because the requirements under state law are very tough to meet) or get legislation drawn and submitted at the capitol during the next legislative session that would allow for an annexation referendum.

2. Schools as an issue were barely touched on in this meeting, at the behest of the organizers. Councilman Wan from Atlanta’s 6th District said that he thought an inter-governmental agreement might be signed between APS and DCSS to allow students to remain in DeKalb County schools on a fee per student basis (paid by APS to DCSS). He admitted that nobody had a clue how it would work out if the Druid Hills Charter Cluster came into being. Truly, nothing else was said.

3. Libraries belong to the county, so they would remain with DeKalb.

4. Taxes in Atlanta are about the same as DeKalb. At $200,000 [property assessment] or lower, they are actually lower. However, water and sewer are at higher rates, but DeKalb has yet to fund a whole lot of projects that have already been completed in the City of Atlanta, so DeKalb rates will probably increase soon. Our area would stay under the DeKalb County water and sewer service delivery area through an intergovernmental agreement.

5. The city of Atlanta is not seeking to annex us [CHCA and MANA]. Thus, we will actually be initiating the annexation. In order for them to consider us they would want to see a survey indicating support. We would need to conduct our own neighborhood survey. We also have other options that we may want to see in the survey. It is clear we have a mountain of work in front of us before we can do a survey.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:11 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
Here is a report of the August 21 cityhood and annexation meeting from a Clairmont Heights Civic Association viewpoint:

Annexation meeting notes from 8/21/14 | Clairmont Heights Civic Association

From CHCA resident representative Jim Smith and Mark Knowles on meeting with Druid Hills Civic Association : Impressions and notes from 8/21/2014 meeting at Fraser Center.

1. Annexation of DHCA into the City of Atlanta is not imminent, but is actively under consideration. They plan to survey their residents (4400 homes) with final results by Thanksgiving. This has to be completed before they can either petition the city to annex them (rarely done because the requirements under state law are very tough to meet) or get legislation drawn and submitted at the capitol during the next legislative session that would allow for an annexation referendum.

2. Schools as an issue were barely touched on in this meeting, at the behest of the organizers. Councilman Wan from Atlanta’s 6th District said that he thought an inter-governmental agreement might be signed between APS and DCSS to allow students to remain in DeKalb County schools on a fee per student basis (paid by APS to DCSS). He admitted that nobody had a clue how it would work out if the Druid Hills Charter Cluster came into being. Truly, nothing else was said.

3. Libraries belong to the county, so they would remain with DeKalb.

4. Taxes in Atlanta are about the same as DeKalb. At $200,000 [property assessment] or lower, they are actually lower. However, water and sewer are at higher rates, but DeKalb has yet to fund a whole lot of projects that have already been completed in the City of Atlanta, so DeKalb rates will probably increase soon. Our area would stay under the DeKalb County water and sewer service delivery area through an intergovernmental agreement.

5. The city of Atlanta is not seeking to annex us [CHCA and MANA]. Thus, we will actually be initiating the annexation. In order for them to consider us they would want to see a survey indicating support. We would need to conduct our own neighborhood survey. We also have other options that we may want to see in the survey. It is clear we have a mountain of work in front of us before we can do a survey.
This covers it very well. My DH feels like a lot of this proposal hinges on not just Druid Hills but Lavista Park...they are the neighborhoods that actually abut the city, after all.
Not sure how I feel about the school arrangement. DH says this was done in Gainesville. Frankly, I think I'd prefer a clean break.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This covers it very well. My DH feels like a lot of this proposal hinges on not just Druid Hills but Lavista Park...they are the neighborhoods that actually abut the city, after all.
Not sure how I feel about the school arrangement. DH says this was done in Gainesville. Frankly, I think I'd prefer a clean break.
Even if a "clean break" is the ultimate goal, this might be the best answer in the short term. Renovating/purchasing/selling schools, plus rezoning, plus personnel changes has got to be very expensive, stressful and time intensive work--and if all of that had to be sorted out first, annexation might not happen for a decade, if at all. (Just my guess).

Old 08-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Even if a "clean break" is the ultimate goal, this might be the best answer in the short term. Renovating/purchasing/selling schools, plus rezoning, plus personnel changes has got to be very expensive, stressful and time intensive work--and if all of that had to be sorted out first, annexation might not happen for a decade, if at all. (Just my guess).
I'm sure that's their thinking as well, jeoff.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:46 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,164 times
I always consider Druid Hills Atlanta anyway, even if it isn't, so I think this would just be Druid Hills joining what it's most aligned with anyway.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
I wonder if the Elaine Boyer mess is going to add fuel to the annexation fire.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Just an FYI. There is another meeting scheduled for tomorrow night at the Maloof Center. Schools will the focus of discussion.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:00 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
LD, do you know whether this is open to the public?

Old 09-15-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
LD, do you know whether this is open to the public?
Not yet. The various representatives are trying to cobble together something to present to the public. At this point, they are trying to move this along as efficiently as possible; opening the meetings at this point would likely bog down the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta