Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:12 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,788,809 times

Advertisements

Report: Georgia No. 6 in U.S. for job growth - Atlanta Business Chronicle

According to Georgia Department of Labor Georgia is ranked sixth nationally and third in the Southeast for job growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 09:54 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,788,485 times

where are all the people that were in that other job thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:16 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,446,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post

where are all the people that were in that other job thread
Notice it said Georgia, and not Atlanta. Atlanta still have one of the highest unemployment rates for a major city in the United States. Also does the report breaks down job gain in each sector, as no one is impress with 9 a hour jobs in the retail or call center sector.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:06 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,399,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
... as no one is impress with 9 a hour jobs in the retail or call center sector.
I'm more impressed with that than I am folks on unemployment, that's for sure!

Old 09-23-2014, 11:28 AM

For all their faults, I think the Governor and the Mayor have done a pretty decent job at bringing jobs to the state. Assuming that the unemployment and job growth numbers are accurate, it would seem that the work force is growing faster in Georgia than other states (more young people entering the workforce for the first time, more folks from other states migrating to Georgia, etc.).

Old 09-23-2014, 02:51 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,702,994 times
A visit to the U.S. Bureau of Labor site (which is referenced in the Georgia Dept. of Labor release) & a close examination of the multitude of charts & figures found there is interesting & more revealing than the "happy face" the Georgia Dept. of Labor puts on the particular stats it highlighted with its own release.
Sadly, only 2 states of over 3,000,000 in population fared worse at Georgia in the reduction of the absolute number of unemployed from Aug. 2013 to Aug. 2014 . Those states were Alabama & Virginia. Georgia's number of unemployed fell by less than 5,000 in the year to year August periods. By comparison several states saw their figures fall by well over 100,000 led by California's decline of 285,000 in the number of unemployed. Other states that saw declines of well over 100,000 in the number of unemployed included Texas, New York, Illinois, Ohio & Pennsylvania.
Of the larger states at or near 10,000,000 in population, Georgia was easily the worst performer in the decline in number of unemployed with it's figure of less than 5,000.
When weighed all together, that's not such a "happy face" & the state bureau was obviously compelled to put out it's own spin to counter the bad unemployment rate news for the Deal Administration of earlier this week.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
A visit to the U.S. Bureau of Labor site (which is referenced in the Georgia Dept. of Labor release) & a close examination of the multitude of charts & figures found there is interesting & more revealing than the "happy face" the Georgia Dept. of Labor puts on the particular stats it highlighted with its own release.
Sadly, only 2 states of over 3,000,000 in population fared worse at Georgia in the reduction of the absolute number of unemployed from Aug. 2013 to Aug. 2014 . Those states were Alabama & Virginia. Georgia's number of unemployed fell by less than 5,000 in the year to year August periods. By comparison several states saw their figures fall by well over 100,000 led by California's decline of 285,000 in the number of unemployed. Other states that saw declines of well over 100,000 in the number of unemployed included Texas, New York, Illinois, Ohio & Pennsylvania.
Of the larger states at or near 10,000,000 in population, Georgia was easily the worst performer in the decline in number of unemployed with it's figure of less than 5,000.
When weighed all together, that's not such a "happy face" & the state bureau was obviously compelled to put out it's own spin to counter the bad unemployment rate news for the Deal Administration of earlier this week.
So, "A close examination" means looking for every bit of negative economic data and present it in the worst way possible?
So, are you saying that Georgia has not been adding jobs at a faster rate than most other states?

The economic data is not all good, but it is not all bad either. It looks like the economy is gaining jobs, but is gaining even more workers--do you think that is not true?

That's not a "happy face" or a "frowny face", but that is pretty much the Georgia economy.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:08 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,201,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Notice it said Georgia, and not Atlanta. Atlanta still have one of the highest unemployment rates for a major city in the United States. Also does the report breaks down job gain in each sector, as no one is impress with 9 a hour jobs in the retail or call center sector.
Did you at least read the article? This myth that all the job growth is min wage at fast food or call centers is nonsense.

"Georgia’s job gains came in several sectors, including computer system design, accounting, architectural and engineering, transportation and warehousing, retail trade, wholesale trade, construction of buildings, specialty trade contractors, ambulatory health care services, and hospitals."
"

Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,702,994 times
jeoff
You didn't apparently carefully read what I wrote or look at any of the original raw data available at the U.S. site that Georgia gleaned certain bits of positive info from that it sought to use & publicize in it's release. And can you deny that the probable intent of the release by the State of Georgia was to put a happier read on the employment/unemployment situation in Georgia?
I wrote what was actually a balance to the happier set of stats that Georgia issued because that set is an incomplete look at the available U.S. Labor Dept. data & not a true indicator of the situation in the state. You yourself wrote, "The economic data is not all good, but it is not all bad either." And that is indeed the case, something that would not be learned from the Georgia Labor Dept. release on job growth. As for example, the fact that Georgia is in 3rd place in job growth in the southeast is nothing to brag about especially given that Georgia is 2nd in population rank in the southeast.
And, as I noted earlier, there was a reduction of less than 5,000 in the number of unemployed in Georgia from August of 2013 to August 2014 which is a pitifully weak performance.
Frankly it's not a case of my having looked for "...every bit of negative economic data and present it in the worst way possible", as you put it. I simply wrote that there is more complete data available that "..is interesting and more revealing..."
I'm not going to be a cheerleader for the Georgia Dept of Labor that everything is coming up roses economically in Georgia on the basis of it's job growth alone at this time because in my honest opinion, it isn't.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
jeoff
You didn't apparently carefully read what I wrote or look at any of the original raw data available at the U.S. site that Georgia gleaned certain bits of positive info from that it sought to use & publicize in it's release. And can you deny that the probable intent of the release by the State of Georgia was to put a happier read on the employment/unemployment situation in Georgia?
I wrote what was actually a balance to the happier set of stats that Georgia issued because that set is an incomplete look at the available U.S. Labor Dept. data & not a true indicator of the situation in the state. You yourself wrote, "The economic data is not all good, but it is not all bad either." And that is indeed the case, something that would not be learned from the Georgia Labor Dept. release on job growth. As for example, the fact that Georgia is in 3rd place in job growth in the southeast is nothing to brag about especially given that Georgia is 2nd in population rank in the southeast.
And, as I noted earlier, there was a reduction of less than 5,000 in the number of unemployed in Georgia from August of 2013 to August 2014 which is a pitifully weak performance.
Frankly it's not a case of my having looked for "...every bit of negative economic data and present it in the worst way possible", as you put it. I simply wrote that there is more complete data available that "..is interesting and more revealing..."
I'm not going to be a cheerleader for the Georgia Dept of Labor that everything is coming up roses economically in Georgia on the basis of it's job growth alone at this time because in my honest opinion, it isn't.
I read into your post that you had an agenda, that is not the case, and I sincerely apologize.
I try to recognize when folks in our state do well, and when they do poorly, and it seems that many partisans on this forum choose to interpret every piece of information in the most positive or negative way possible, and it gets a little discouraging--if people already have decided how they are going respond and rationalize after the fact--there is no point in even having a discussion.
That being said--That the Georgia unemployment rate is on the high end of the national average was released Thursday. In my opinion, the information you site as "more revealing" is pretty much summed up in the release of the unemployment statistic. The fact that Georgia added jobs at a relatively high rate, while the unemployment rate remained relatively high, is new information (at least to me), and does draw a more complete picture of the economy. I can see how you can say that the Georgia Dept. of Labor is trying to paint a happy face on things, but really that is not that important to me. I care about what the economy is really doing.--it is adding jobs at a high rate--but not high enough to reduce unemployment. I posted reasons why I thought that might be happening, and I am interested in other folks ideas as to why, and what this means going forward.
(Again, I am sorry for ascribing a motive to you that wasn't there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta