Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

I continue to be amazed at how passionately folks will defend strip clubs in somebody else's neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:35 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
I'd defend it in mine if the same situation were unfolding. Or rather, I'd defend it if my neighborhood seized it and then whined about it.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:00 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I continue to be amazed at how passionately folks will defend strip clubs in somebody else's neighborhood.
My thoughts here are not exclusive to strip clubs.

Say you owned an awesome burger joint in the middle of unincorporated Dekalb County. Business is great, most people love your product, but the general tide is turning against "unhealthy" food.

Out of thin air, a new city incorporates and your business is in the city limits. The city is pretty progressive, and one of the first orders of business is promoting healthy citizens. A Healthy Living initiative is created which include restrictions on calories per item sold at fast food restaurants. Since your business is quite popular, most of your items are far above the calorie limit.

Being unable to sell the most popular items, your burger shack is forced to close. You lose your established business thanks to a new government and new laws. Just seems wrong.

I think we need to be vigilant about these sorts of things. I think the future is going to hold a whole lot of ninny type people that are going to attempt to legislate their will on everyone else.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:14 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." This mirrors my views on the Pink Pony.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:31 AM

I've never heard of a city trying to exclude hamburger joints.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
Quote:
What about old cities like Marietta, Forest Park, Duluth and the aforementioned Decatur?

Personally I could not care less about the so-called "morality" of bars with naked women. However, if folks decide they don't want that in their community, why should they be forced to have it?

Just about all of those cities you mentioned were already established settlements or organized entities prior to the region becoming what it is. However, these new "cities" are just ploys to control the demographic makeup of the urban core of the region.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
But the point is still valid and can apply to any concept. That's what is dangerous in my eyes, as soon as something goes out of favor, people can vote another's livelihood illegal.

Putting my light duty tin foil hat on here, but expect to see more health related legislation in the future. Shared costs of healthcare, health and fitness tracking programs, and pay by device (applepay / google wallet) can all converge to wide scale loss of freedom.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
"I may not like what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." This mirrors my views on the Pink Pony.
I'm not sure running a strip club is a first amendment right.

But assuming it is, you have to wonder where all the free speech advocates were when cities like Marietta, Forest Park, Duluth, Decatur and Johns Creeks lowered the boom on them.

Strip club advocacy seems to be most common when folks are talking about putting them in someone else's neck of the woods.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:04 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
Quote:
I've never heard of a city trying to exclude hamburger joints.
He is using an analogous situation as an example... Let's not play obtuse when you know exactly what type of example he is implying.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:15 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
I continue to be amazed that people will purposely move to an area with a strip club and then complain that it's there, even though that strip club existed in the area when middle class flight had abandoned it decades ago.

But this is Georgia.

We park logic and common sense at the border before entering this state, it seems.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta