Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:09 AM

37,924 posts, read 42,168,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
You dont need squares and historic buildings to be like Center city. I think the poster was more talking about the vibe.
The layout and historic urban fabric of Center City constitute a HUGE part of its vibe, and again, that's something that Atlanta just can't replicate. It would be like saying you don't need squares and historic buildings to be like Savannah's historic district and of course that would be quite misguided. There are other cities out there that are appropriate models for future downtown development in Atlanta; Seattle sounds like one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 11:52 AM

8,491 posts, read 15,047,470 times
The ball is already rolling and it will get "there" eventually. What people must remember is that Downtown Atlanta is not starting from scratch, rather putting back what used to be there. Our problem with our Downtown isn't one of it being a "nowhere" kind of place without history or character. The pre-1960s Downtown Atlanta would be on par with the so-called "best" downtowns today save New York. We just need to get back to investing in it.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:00 PM

23,565 posts, read 44,272,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Huh? We built a multi-billion dollar HRT subway system (partially with federal funds that Seattle rejected).
Oh, big deal. We can jump on a bus here about every 10 minutes. HRT is not the end-all and be-all.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,144,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, big deal. We can jump on a bus here about every 10 minutes. HRT is not the end-all and be-all.
I agree, and MARTA could certainly benefit from beefing up its bus network. However your assertion that Atlanta didn't "retain its mass transportation options downtown" is incorrect given that we have seven subway stations in the CBD that didn't exist prior to 1981.

Last edited by Gulch; 10-13-2014 at 02:44 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 02:38 PM

32,038 posts, read 36,923,068 times
I'd like to see more Atlantans get over their disinclination to ride the bus. Every time I've been in Seattle it seems like a lot more people ride the bus.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:46 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,191,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Agree, Atlanta has the better bones with such a good heavy rail foundation but Seattle offers a lot more today with comprehensive bus service to more areas, plus Ferries, water taxis etc. And while it is not heavy rail they are taxing themselves alot (not waiting for federal dollars) to build out a light rail system all over town.
On the other hand, Seattle has the waterfront which serves to concentrate development along the waterfront and the views alone makes it much more desirable in terms of attracting residents downtown.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:46 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,060,273 times
Yes, people of all economic levels ride the bus in Seattle. But even for many who would like to in Atlanta, the bus coverage isn't good enough for it to make sense. If your like many who work in a suburban office park setting more than likely you can't take the bus to work unless your willing to walk a mile or two and transfer on a few buses.

But Seattle is still very much a car centric place too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd like to see more Atlantans get over their disinclination to ride the bus. Every time I've been in Seattle it seems like a lot more people ride the bus.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:07 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,257,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It would be nice, but frequency must be high. I'm not waiting 10 minutes for a bus for a place I can get to in 15. Its hard enough justifying riding the train over driving...

Old 10-13-2014, 03:29 PM

23,565 posts, read 44,272,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Yes, people of all economic levels ride the bus in Seattle. But even for many who would like to in Atlanta, the bus coverage isn't good enough for it to make sense. If your like many who work in a suburban office park setting more than likely you can't take the bus to work unless your willing to walk a mile or two and transfer on a few buses.

But Seattle is still very much a car centric place too.
True, Noah. But since I've moved to Seattle I've noticed a marked difference in the run times between buses. My daughter did, too. And it's true that Seattle has its own traffic problems. But unlike Atlanta, they seem to be more proactive in dealing with mass transportation issues. JME so far.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,166,235 times
Even Lovin since moving to Seattle has begun to see the massive faults in Atlanta. If you travel a lot, Atlanta is not that great of a city for how prominent it is on the world stage...it's like it grew too fast for it's own good. So you have this city that you'd expect to be at Boston, Philly, D.C. status, but it falters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: