Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 05:46 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
It's not their "responsibility." It's just often touted as one of the reasons people want to live in town or away from suburbs. The reality, we see in cases of these gentrified neighborhoods, is simply not true. Which towns or cities in Cobb or Gwinnett are 90%+ white?

Moving to these neighborhoods for "diversity" as a benefit is just a lie when you look at the actual demographics.
Well, I agree that intown neighborhoods are not very diverse but I don't recall folks claiming they were. Most of Atlanta's diversity is clearly in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:29 PM

445 posts, read 516,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Which towns or cities in Cobb or Gwinnett are 90%+ white?
Which towns or cities ITP are?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:02 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I agree that intown neighborhoods are not very diverse but I don't recall folks claiming they were. Most of Atlanta's diversity is clearly in the suburbs.
The suburbs are not Atlanta. They are separate municipalities with there own governments and school systems. Atlanta itself is not diverse. People claim it is but it isn't.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:14 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
The suburbs are not Atlanta. They are separate municipalities with there own governments and school systems. Atlanta itself is not diverse. People claim it is but it isn't.
What do you mean that it isn't diverse? What is your working definition of diverse?
From Demographics of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
2010 data:
33% white (non-hispanic)
54% black
10% hispanic
5% asian

2010 census figures for Atlanta's 25 neighborhood planning units reveal several key facts about Atlanta's neighborhoods:

60% of the city's area consists of overwhelmingly black neighborhoods: together, Northwest, Southwest, and Southeast Atlanta are 92% black
there are some areas that are predominantly white, notably Buckhead and Northeast Atlanta (NPUs F and N) which are on average 80% white
Are you trying to say that the city is very segregated? I do not think that you can argue that the city itself is not diverse.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:22 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
To Hautemomma,

Tarzanman's link speaks volumes towards showing that ITP is racially diverse. I would even say go further than what he posted and review the diversity neighborhood by neighborhood in the city itself. There is diversity and I would even say there really isn't much segregation. Go through the NPUs one by one and check it out.

What you are missing in your conclusion that there isn't diversity in the city of Atlanta itself, which is a flawed conclusion, is that my question is more nuanced than a simple do African-American people live in the city of Atlanta neighborhoods. It is obvious that is the case. Have you actually hung out in the City of Atlanta lately? My question is about FAMILIES...in numbers...not just a small percentage. Further, whenever you begin to talk about FAMILIES, the assumption is that the families want to send their kids to decent schools. People always equate decent with GreatSchool scores (flawed or not) so therefore the responses in this thread are really directed to which neighborhoods show high numbers of African-American families THAT ARE ALSO IN THE AREAS WITH HIGH GREAT SCHOOL SCORES. Further, people always assume that others want to live in popular neighborhoods like Candler Park so that is why that place and some of the other popular locations keep coming up in discussion.

I hope you can now see why there are such few neighborhoods named.

But actually, the reality is that, posters have basically said the whole SE and SW quadrants of the City have African-American families. That is not a small number of neighborhoods. AnsleyPark just said there was not an insignificant number of families that are African-American (or perhaps minorities generally) in AnsleyPark and Morningside.

So please do not come onto the thread presenting faulty conclusions from an erred analysis that you have made.

The more accurate conclusion is that there are not alot in Buckhead, Virginia Highlands, Inman and Candler Parks, Druid Hills and the Mary Lin elementary school district. Period. That is the more accurate conclusion.

ETA: I also think you have made assumptions about the motives of people moving into the city. I think it could be entirely possible that people move into the city for diversity. Again, it seems that the diversity exists and it's really not even that much segregation (until you get into a few NPUs out of a number of NPUs in the city). I think what you are talking about is the effects of GENTRIFICATION of old neighborhoods over time. This is really not the fault of the people who are moving to the city but it is a sad reality. This is why I don't ride the gentrification train heavily as the gospel. The reality is that in every inner city around the country where no one wanted to live except people who didn't have the money to live elsewhere (which happens to be a percentage of some minorities - not all), they are now being driven out of the inner cities and out of their long-time homes because they are being foreclosed on because they cannot pay the taxes that are shooting up once the house next door is renovated and is now worth almost half a mil. They are also being directly bought out by investors who call them up and offer to buy their homes. Gentrification is really a wholesale approach to get people out of the city who have lived there so that other people can live in the city who want to be close to work. It is happening all over the country and it is just sad.

Again, this is not the individual person or family that is moving in that is doing this. It is the result of a wave of it happening and overcoming a neighborhood, one neighborhood at a time. But alas, this has nothing to do with your argument that there isn't diversity intown but this could be the reason that some of the NPUs don't seem very diverse. I think the more heavily gentrified an area is, the more you will see the effects of gentrification since minorities don't seem to be a large portion of the group of people that are moving in and gentrifying neighborhoods around the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
What do you mean that it isn't diverse? What is your working definition of diverse?

Are you trying to say that the city is very segregated? I do not think that you can argue that the city itself is not diverse.

Last edited by LovelySummer; 10-26-2014 at 11:46 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 03:44 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
E Rivers Elementary here in Buckhead is 38% white, %29 black, 4% Asian, 28% Hispanic. I'm assuming all of these children live in district. Is that correct or are some bussed in from other parts of the city? That seems about the same mix of people I see in stores and restaurants so I was thinking we all live here together (with a few more whites than these numbers show bc a lot of white kids and some black kids go to private school). Anyway, it's hard to imagine a school more diverse than E Rivers--and it's a great school.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
There are pockets of very diverse neighborhoods, its not all about race. Should income and age not be included?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:13 AM

226 posts, read 276,116 times
this is soooo long to read. angry birds are quieter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
To Hautemomma,

Tarzanman's link speaks volumes towards showing that ITP is racially diverse. I would even say go further than what he posted and review the diversity neighborhood by neighborhood in the city itself. There is diversity and I would even say there really isn't much segregation. Go through the NPUs one by one and check it out.

What you are missing in your conclusion that there isn't diversity in the city of Atlanta itself, which is a flawed conclusion, is that my question is more nuanced than a simple do African-American people live in the city of Atlanta neighborhoods. It is obvious that is the case. Have you actually hung out in the City of Atlanta lately? My question is about FAMILIES...in numbers...not just a small percentage. Further, whenever you begin to talk about FAMILIES, the assumption is that the families want to send their kids to decent schools. People always equate decent with GreatSchool scores (flawed or not) so therefore the responses in this thread are really directed to which neighborhoods show high numbers of African-American families THAT ARE ALSO IN THE AREAS WITH HIGH GREAT SCHOOL SCORES. Further, people always assume that others want to live in popular neighborhoods like Candler Park so that is why that place and some of the other popular locations keep coming up in discussion.

I hope you can now see why there are such few neighborhoods named.

But actually, the reality is that, posters have basically said the whole SE and SW quadrants of the City have African-American families. That is not a small number of neighborhoods. AnsleyPark just said there was not an insignificant number of families that are African-American (or perhaps minorities generally) in AnsleyPark and Morningside.

So please do not come onto the thread presenting faulty conclusions from an erred analysis that you have made.

The more accurate conclusion is that there are not alot in Buckhead, Virginia Highlands, Inman and Candler Parks, Druid Hills and the Mary Lin elementary school district. Period. That is the more accurate conclusion.

ETA: I also think you have made assumptions about the motives of people moving into the city. I think it could be entirely possible that people move into the city for diversity. Again, it seems that the diversity exists and it's really not even that much segregation (until you get into a few NPUs out of a number of NPUs in the city). I think what you are talking about is the effects of GENTRIFICATION of old neighborhoods over time. This is really not the fault of the people who are moving to the city but it is a sad reality. This is why I don't ride the gentrification train heavily as the gospel. The reality is that in every inner city around the country where no one wanted to live except people who didn't have the money to live elsewhere (which happens to be a percentage of some minorities - not all), they are now being driven out of the inner cities and out of their long-time homes because they are being foreclosed on because they cannot pay the taxes that are shooting up once the house next door is renovated and is now worth almost half a mil. They are also being directly bought out by investors who call them up and offer to buy their homes. Gentrification is really a wholesale approach to get people out of the city who have lived there so that other people can live in the city who want to be close to work. It is happening all over the country and it is just sad.

Again, this is not the individual person or family that is moving in that is doing this. It is the result of a wave of it happening and overcoming a neighborhood, one neighborhood at a time. But alas, this has nothing to do with your argument that there isn't diversity intown but this could be the reason that some of the NPUs don't seem very diverse. I think the more heavily gentrified an area is, the more you will see the effects of gentrification since minorities don't seem to be a large portion of the group of people that are moving in and gentrifying neighborhoods around the country.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:15 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

More specifically, I mean Atlanta's neighborhoods within themselves are not diverse--particularly the neighborhoods mentioned in re this discussion. The best neighborhoods in the city are predominantly white.

Atlanta is no different than any other city in this regard. Yes, Atlanta is segregated. Sure we can look at maps, but I'm only going by what I actually saw living in these neighborhoods. When I lived in Buckhead I was treated like I didn't belong there. People didn't treat me like, "Hey you! Get out of here!" It was more like "YOU actually live here/there?" I was questioned in this manner by both blacks and whites when I lived in Buckhead.

When I told a black co-worker that my child went to North Atlanta, she just assumed I live in Smyrna and was able to get my daughter into their performing arts program. She asked me if my daughter was going their for their performing arts. I told her no, we live in Buckhead and my daughter's focus is STEM. She had a look of shock and surprise on her face. She's one of those high and mighty, pretentious braggarts who lived in the Camp Creek area who made assumptions about me and felt I had no business living in Buckhead.

Everyone I encountered who learned I lived in Buckhead treated me like that. It's only because I'm black and it's as Lovely is pointing out--there aren't a lot of blacks or black families there.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 AM

445 posts, read 516,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
More specifically, I mean Atlanta's neighborhoods within themselves are not diverse--particularly the neighborhoods mentioned in re this discussion.
Agree. I don't think it shows us that much to look at the demographics of entire cities (especially a city as large as Atlanta) or counties in determining how "diverse" a place is. DeKalb County is pretty "diverse" as a whole (I guess, I really don't know exactly what the word means), but you couldn't tell that standing on the street in Candler Park or Belvedere Park. There's a fairly clear but still a little bit fuzzy line of demarcation between largely white neighborhoods and largely black neighborhoods--around DeKalb Ave or Memorial usually, depending on the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta