Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:06 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
It's fraught with reason. I'm asking for stuff actually conceived and developed at Georgia Tech. Not stuff alumni did years later. What does Tech deserve kudos for? None of its faculty have a Nobel.

It's natural for a school to revel in alumni success, but how much credit does a school deserve? What remarable stuff has come out of the labs of GTRI? What I think is pitiful is how everyone works from the premise of Tech's greatness based mostly on these rankings but never wonder, just what exactly has Tech done that is so great? Lots of research is done and Ph.ds awarded, but how much of it is truly significant?

The emperor truly has no clothes and the Techies are not happy.
Here

Quote:

Innovations @ Georgia Tech :: Nanotube Formation
Innovations @ Georgia Tech :: The Origin of Life
Innovations @ Georgia Tech :: Bioremediation
Innovations @ Georgia Tech :: Blue Lasers
Georgia Tech's ShaperProbe Detects ISP Traffic Manipulation - Slashdot
Autonomous UAVs Now Travel in Packs | Sensors content from Machine Design
Georgia Tech Researchers Show That Graphene Antennas Would Enable Terabit Wireless Downloads | MIT Technology Review
Activist Post: Georgia Tech Researchers Develop Tool to Monitor Web Censorship
ATLANTA: Georgia Tech researchers develop flu patch - WNCN: News, Weather
GA Tech researchers aid in U.S. intelligence data collection - CBS46 News
Georgia Tech researchers turn an iPhone into a Braille writer with BrailleTouch app
Making Makers at Georgia Tech | The White House
Ga. Tech students
That should do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:13 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
It's times like these that I wish this board had an "Ignore" feature.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:40 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
It's times like these that I wish this board had an "Ignore" feature.
It does. See if this works for you. Otherwise, "edit ignore list" can be found in the left panel after visiting "my settings" in the ribbon up top.

//www.city-data.com/forum/profi...?do=ignorelist

Old 10-31-2014, 09:00 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
It does. See if this works for you. Otherwise, "edit ignore list" can be found in the left panel after visiting "my settings" in the ribbon up top.

//www.city-data.com/forum/profi...?do=ignorelist
By any chance, is that a Georgia Tech "innovation"?

Old 10-31-2014, 09:03 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
That should do
Anything more interesting than an iphone app to make a braille writer? Small minds.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Georgia is one nutty parochialistic state.

If people ain't bashing any of the HBCUs like Morehouse and Spelman, then they are bashing GSU. Now Ga Tech can be added to the list.

We can fight a civil war over darn near anything here.

What a state.
This is true.

Silly that you are trying to bash GT Mathman.

They are a great institution. MIT is a great institution. Don't see why, especially if you went there, you won't admit that.

On another note, I don't think there is a way to measure the "smartest" university/college in the nation. I feel articles such as the one in the OP only serve as propaganda to get people all swelled up about something.

But GT is a great school and is known as one of the best engineering schools in the country and I don't see why anyone would want to argue with that.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:16 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
Quote:
Anything more interesting than an iphone app to make a braille writer? Small minds.
Yeah, the rest of the stuff you glossed over.

Innovations @ Georgia Tech :: Nanotube Formation
Innovations @ Georgia Tech :: The Origin of Life
Innovations @ Georgia Tech :: Bioremediation
Innovations @ Georgia Tech :: Blue Lasers
Georgia Tech's ShaperProbe Detects ISP Traffic Manipulation - Slashdot
Autonomous UAVs Now Travel in Packs | Sensors content from Machine Design
Georgia Tech Researchers Show That Graphene Antennas Would Enable Terabit Wireless Downloads | MIT Technology Review
Activist Post: Georgia Tech Researchers Develop Tool to Monitor Web Censorship
ATLANTA: Georgia Tech researchers develop flu patch - WNCN: News, Weather
GA Tech researchers aid in U.S. intelligence data collection - CBS46 News
Making Makers at Georgia Tech | The White House
Ga. Tech students

Of course if the iphone app seemed more important to you then terrabit per sec wireless downloads or Bue Lasers for example, that shows your own mentality more than anything. You have been given what you asked, now if you aren't impressed that shines more on you then anyone else as all these are very significant.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:25 PM

276 posts, read 431,019 times
Quote:
If Tech did any of that...that would be wow, stuff.

I wondered if MIT could claim anything. Here is a list of 50 MIT claims is their's

50 key MIT-related innovations | BetaBoston

The FAX machine was a good one...and Email...Data Encryption makes e-commerce possible...the speadsheet with VisiCalc. The Roomba however is not that impressive.

Off-hand, I recall Edgerton and his work at MIT with strobe and flash lighting. Ingenious stuff.

All Hail MIT.
Don't forget radar in building 20

Old 11-01-2014, 04:51 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Personally I feel like Ga Tech along with other schools here in Georgia are capable of much more...if not for the relatively antagonistic and parochialistic culture that's seemingly inherent to this state as well the southeast region of the U.S.A. in general.

People don't work together in general here. That fact of life should be acknowledged.

Someone had mention the Beltline as being one of Ga Tech's prime achievements, but you can't even get the Metro Atlanta Region to get some sort of consensus and collaboration even around that.

That's why I am not so hard on MathmanMathman. Because he's not the only one on here who has jumped on a Georgia school. He is the symptom.

The disease as I have mentioned is way more deeper and embedded in the southern Dixie state psyche.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:20 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Personally I feel like Ga Tech along with other schools here in Georgia are capable of much more...if not for the relatively antagonistic and parochialistic culture that's seemingly inherent to this state as well the southeast region of the U.S.A. in general.

People don't work together in general here. That fact of life should be acknowledged.

Someone had mention the Beltline as being one of Ga Tech's prime achievements, but you can't even get the Metro Atlanta Region to get some sort of consensus and collaboration even around that.

That's why I am not so hard on MathmanMathman. Because he's not the only one on here who has jumped on a Georgia school. He is the symptom.

The disease as I have mentioned is way more deeper and embedded in the southern Dixie state psyche.
Collaboration is difficult around here. Its weird how everyone can be so friendly in Atlanta, but can't work together.

However, I don't think that really applies at the university level. Georgia Tech does just fine. Its one of 6 public schools rated as top 10 in engineering in USNWR, along with Cal, Texas, Purdue, Michigan and Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta