Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:10 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times

Advertisements

With a growing population it's just getting worse. I can tell a difference between now and 2012. People argue all the time about roads vs transit and quite frankly it doesn't matter. Nothings gonna make it better with a growing metro area and growing economy. What city larger than Atlanta doesn't have bad traffic? LA is far worse. NYC has astronomical commute times to parts of Long Island. Chicago has a lot of traffic. DFW isn't quite as bad. Houston is comparable. Every large metro has problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:19 PM

123 posts, read 152,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If you stay inside the city of Atlanta proper the traffic is not that bad.
Hmmm...I beg to differ. I live in East Atlanta and drive 11.2 miles to work everyday. It typically takes one hour. ONE HOUR to drive 11 miles? Ugh.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:26 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan alan View Post
Hmmm...I beg to differ. I live in East Atlanta and drive 11.2 miles to work everyday. It typically takes one hour. ONE HOUR to drive 11 miles? Ugh.
I live next to there (Ormewood Park) and do an 11 mile commute in less than 15 mins most days. Where are you working?

Old 10-31-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I live next to there (Ormewood Park) and do an 11 mile commute in less than 15 mins most days. Where are you working?
Right off of 85 near Clairmont Rd. The shortest distance is 11.2 miles, the longest is 16 I think. I've tried like five different routes! The quickest I've ever gotten to work (leaving at 7:30 a.m.) is 40 minutes, which I don't mind at all. The longest has been an hour and 20. But, on the majority of days, whether I take 20 out and go around the perimeter and back in, or take 85 up, or take Moreland/Briarcliff the whole way - it's always an hour.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Right off of 85 near Clairmont Rd. The shortest distance is 11.2 miles, the longest is 16 I think. I've tried like five different routes! The quickest I've ever gotten to work (leaving at 7:30 a.m.) is 40 minutes, which I don't mind at all. The longest has been an hour and 20. But, on the majority of days, whether I take 20 out and go around the perimeter and back in, or take 85 up, or take Moreland/Briarcliff the whole way - it's always an hour.
Crazy. You need to find a job in the city!

Old 10-31-2014, 06:39 PM

I thought my job was in the city proper - but I guess it's not. It's an Atlanta address. Do people consider that North Atlanta? I just moved here a year ago.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:51 PM

9 posts, read 11,678 times
I live in Snellville and commute to Midtown sometimes, and when there is light traffic it usually takes me about 1 hour. I don't go out when there is heavy traffic...I wonder how long it will take me to get there if there is a rail line up to Gwinnett Place... probably still longer than 1 hour.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I thought my job was in the city proper - but I guess it's not. It's an Atlanta address. Do people consider that North Atlanta? I just moved here a year ago.
That area has been unincorporated DeKalb just up until a few years ago. Now, depending on exactly where it is, it could be part of Brookhaven, Chamblee, or another city that may be created next year.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:56 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zihaogt View Post
I live in Snellville and commute to Midtown sometimes, and when there is light traffic it usually takes me about 1 hour. I don't go out when there is heavy traffic...I wonder how long it will take me to get there if there is a rail line up to Gwinnett Place... probably still longer than 1 hour.
Commuter rail to MMPT (Five Points) with a station at Ronald Regan Parkway (closest rail line to Snellville) would take ~25 minutes. Another 10 for the trip to Midtown is 35 for the rail time. Total time would have to include your time to get to the station of course. But it'd have to take 25 minutes to equal your current drive.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1324 View Post
Outside of rush hour traffic isn't terrible, and I live further out in cobb county. It can get really terrible during rush hours though. My recommendation is to become a morning person and get on the road before most other people do.
You must not drive a lot or go out often at all. I see, traffic issues outside the hours of rush hour here frequently. Case in point, last night coming from dinner about 8pm, traffic was still slow on 285 at 85.

On the weekends, the connector, 285 and 75 south of the city, north of city and 85 north of the city have various traffic delays.

Sure, its not consistent gridlock (except maybe 75 which is a problem every weekend) but nonetheless, it is the same issue.

Heck, the other night, GMap says, it was going to take 33 minutes to go 9 miles till I reached him.

At this point, I'm so tired of the daily traffic daily that I plan to move again so I'm getting off the interstate before I reach the daily gridlock. I've had it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta