Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times

Advertisements

Did a thread a few months back on Alabama and Mississippi, the two states to the west of Georgia. Doesn't seem like many people in Georgia visit these two states, even though they're not too terribly far. How about South Carolina and North Carolina? Is it common for people in Georgia (specifically the Atlanta metro) to visit these two states? Just out of curiosity, studying the south for my major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:40 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
I go skiing in North Carolina when not West Virginia or the Northeast and I go to the beach in Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach quite often.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Generally we go to New Orleans or Florida

Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Did a thread a few months back on Alabama and Mississippi, the two states to the west of Georgia. Doesn't seem like many people in Georgia visit these two states, even though they're not too terribly far. How about South Carolina and North Carolina? Is it common for people in Georgia (specifically the Atlanta metro) to visit these two states? Just out of curiosity, studying the south for my major.
I'd say we probably make the most trips to NC/SC out of any neighboring states. Mostly because we grew up going to beaches on the Carolina coast (and continue to do so) and not the FL panhandle, and tend to spend a lot of time in the woods up in the Nantahala/Smokies/Pisgah areas.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:21 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
I pretty much never go there, but that will change soon. I do LOVE western NC, I should go there more often. As for the rest of the state(s), I don't have a reason to visit, other than Charleston.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:04 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Well I'm a native SC'er and lived in Charlotte before moving here, so of course I visit the Carolinas several times a year.

Some of my present and former co-workers visit who live in metro Atlanta and north Georgia. One just returned from a trip to Charleston, and a couple of others have visited Myrtle before. Two have actually been to my hometown area, having known or dated people with ties there. I know one who went to a race in Concord, and another and his wife visited Cherokee to gamble.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:52 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Not at all...What is there to visit in North Carolina? Charlotte is a mini Atlanta with less culture and history. Raleigh seems boring. The state has no historic cities like Charleston or Savannah. No great beaches....the best mountain resorts are in Tennessee. Asheville may be the only interesting place to visit, but even then, I'm not that excited to actually see the city...I may do it soon though when I'm bored.

I do plan on visiting South Carolina to see Charleston though and maybe see Myrtle Beach.

My opinion though.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:53 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times
I wouldn't say I visit the Carolinas "often", but I do at least once every three years or so. And by "Carolinas", I mean Charlotte, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, and Fayetteville.

- skbl17

Old 10-23-2014, 11:06 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Not at all...What is there to visit in North Carolina? Charlotte is a mini Atlanta with less culture and history. Raleigh seems boring. The state has no historic cities like Charleston or Savannah. No great beaches....the best mountain resorts are in Tennessee. Asheville may be the only interesting place to visit, but even then, I'm not that excited to actually see the city...I may do it soon though when I'm bored.

I do plan on visiting South Carolina to see Charleston though and maybe see Myrtle Beach.

My opinion though.
Hey, now! NC mountains are arguably a lot better than TN. Both NC and TN share the Great Smokies, that's very true. However, you can't beat a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Asheville is a fine town, very vibrant and hip. Some of the smaller towns are also nice places like Waynesville, Boone, Black Mountain, Blowing Rock, Bryson City, etc. I'm a NC native, but give me the NC mountains over TN any day. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge? Tourist traps, plain and simple. Cades Cove, in the Great Smokies, is probably the best area of the TN mountains. Beautiful! Still, I prefer the NC mountains. More remote and less populated with stunning natural beauty.

No historic cities? Wilmington and New Bern are very historic! Same story with Winston-Salem, plus a few of the smaller towns like Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, Edenton, Beaufort, Bath, etc. You'll find a ton of history in any state of the former 13 colonies, and that's definitely true for NC.

No great beaches? Seriously?!?! The Outer Banks! However, this is only my opinion.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 10-23-2014 at 11:18 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 11:09 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Yeah, I think Western NC has the best mountains in the SE. Plus the added benefit of Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta