Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 26,258 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but have been using it to get a "residents feel" of various neighborhoods as we search for a house to buy. We've been renting in Atlanta for about 3 years now: a year in a high rise downtown, a year in a townhome in Buckhead, and now a house in Edgewood. We're looking to buy a decent home in a decent or "transitional" area (that is transitioning toward the better!) and have found a home we like in Oakland City. Unfortunately we don't know much about the area and would love any insight or advice folks living in or around the area could offer. Driving around we could see there are rough patches, but there also seem to be very lovely and well-cared for homes. Is this an up-and-coming area, or will it take a while? Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
I would rather buy in West End...Oakland City is next to The West End but doesn't have anything close to what The West End offers besides the Train Station. It's really just a bedroom community next to West End but it doesn't have any decent retail or shops but plenty of Auto Shops. The sense of community in West End is what makes it a better place to buy and the housing stock is better and the Beltline is there. If you like Oakland City I would simply find a place in West End and call it a day because in the long run West End will be your better investment and lifestyle choice coming from the neighborhoods you lived In. I've walked/driven both neighborhoods tons of times and the energy of the people in West End amongst other things is what puts it over the top. In Oakland City I didn't really see that much life when I drive and walk/run through. Hope this helps.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:45 PM

145 posts, read 598,040 times
I stay to the north of Oakland City in West End, but I know the area well. Honestly, Oakland City as a whole is a bit troubled. There are some patches of Oakland City that I think are nice like the Avon St corridor which is nicest by Lee St, Around Ewing Pl and Hall St by Donnelly is ok, and the blocks around Bluefield, Lanvale, and Lynnford are ok.

The neighborhoods surrounding Oakland City are showing more signs of revitalization in my opinion, but Oakland City has a few things that are favorable.
1. It has a Marta Station.
2. There is an large well maintained Outdoor Activity Center in the middle of the neighborhood.
3. I don't remember the street, but there is this huge urban garden that looks like you are in the country. I was blown away when I saw it. The building(s) had a neat patina with metal roofs and there were tons of tall sunflowers blooming everywhere.
4. Oakland City is bordered on the south by Fort McPherson. When that gets redeveloped Oakland City is going to benefit too.
5. When Lee St is renamed Peachtree it is going to pass through Oakland City. Can't do anything but help, right?
6. Oakland City Flea Market on Lee St. It's not big, but some of the displaced Lakewood Market vendors sell there on the weekends.

Oakland City has decent, hardworking, even successful people living there, but like many trouble neighborhoods empty homes and unchecked hoodlums can depress an area. I'm no urban planner, but I think the over all revitalization of Oakland City is a ways off. On the other hand like many trouble neighborhoods there are enclaves of nice well maintained homes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by davesm; 06-15-2009 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 26,258 times
Thanks to both of you for your replies. They were both helpful & appreciated. We had looked at a couple homes in West End as well, but didn't know much about that area either, now we have a little more to go on. I do appreciate a neighborhood with a strong sense of community, and it seems that West End has that going on more so than Oakland City. We'll keep our options open and see what happens. Thanks!!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 AM

426 posts, read 1,445,814 times
West End was absolutely pillaged by mortgage fraudsters in recent years. It has left more vacant homes than the residents would like, but battling it had the positive side effect of strengthening social networks in the neighborhood. That is a defininte plus.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
West End is great, and the neighborhood just to the West - Westview, is coming along nicely.

I have friends that got a fixer-upper in Westview for $32,000!!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2013, 06:56 PM

614 posts, read 1,100,867 times
Anything new about Oakland City? Just moved to metro ATL and am considering the area.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:34 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Yes as of today, I have been in my house three weeks in Historic West End. We have a neighborhood meeting on the first Tuesday of each month at the West End Library. The meeting is filled with half white and black residents who love their neighborhood. You should check it out. I have a park to the left of me and the beltline to the right. Just this past Saturday they had a 5k beltline run from West End. I'm in the legal field and work in the 191 tower downtown. It takes me 5-10 minutues by car, and 15 minutes by bus and train to get to work. I have plenty of good white and black friends in West End. The most common crime is cell phone snatching by careless talkers who are not aware of their surroundings. In the past three weeks, I have had 4 invitations to eat with my new neighbors. Also connect with Historic West End on facebook.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:02 PM

614 posts, read 1,100,867 times
Thanks! I keep hearing about West End.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,099,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Yes as of today, I have been in my house three weeks in Historic West End. We have a neighborhood meeting on the first Tuesday of each month at the West End Library. The meeting is filled with half white and black residents who love their neighborhood. You should check it out. I have a park to the left of me and the beltline to the right. Just this past Saturday they had a 5k beltline run from West End. I'm in the legal field and work in the 191 tower downtown. It takes me 5-10 minutues by car, and 15 minutes by bus and train to get to work. I have plenty of good white and black friends in West End. The most common crime is cell phone snatching by careless talkers who are not aware of their surroundings. In the past three weeks, I have had 4 invitations to eat with my new neighbors. Also connect with Historic West End on facebook.

Are they asking about the West End or Oakland City?
I think you might be getting the Westside mixed up with the West End. Oakland City and the West End are two neighborhoods on the westside, but they are not the same. Overall the West End has always been nice to me, but Oakland City is pretty rough. And I am far from a punk. I live in Reynoldstown now and I think that all the media hype about this "eastside crime wave" isn't really warranted because it isn't even really that bad over here. IMO anyone who is street smart and takes proper precautions can deal with the robberies and home invasions over here.

On the other hand Oakland City is a place where I would be worried about my safety. I lived off of Sandtown Rd in Oakland City for a few years and it was pretty bad. There are some nice streets off of Avon and Venetian Hills is pretty much cool, but the rest is pretty sketch. Oakland City aint there yet, it still has a lot of drug activity and that to me is what really makes a neighborhood bad. A few teenagers hitting licks on the estside is nothing compared to the overall craziness that is going down on some of those streets in Oakland City like Montreat, Allegheny and Donnally. Go walk thru Donnally Gardens or ride your bike to Yasins at the split of Campbellton and Sandtown and then come back to me and tell me how nice Oakland City is....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: