Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 09:04 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Cobb will build its own Beltline.
They'll have a transportation corridor of trail and rail surrounding Marietta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 09:24 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Remaking the 120 loop into a greenway wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. Widen it, use the RoW to add trails, greenery, and LRT. Use either fast-growing trees or transplant some larger trees. It'd be a huge hit for SPSU students (I refuse to call it KSU-South or whatever!).

Old 11-30-2014, 10:07 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They have done some studies as I understand it.

http://www.cobbcounty.org/images/doc.../dot/LRTS1.pdf

http://www.cobbcounty.org/index.php?...921&Itemid=610

Old 12-01-2014, 03:17 PM

390 posts, read 907,390 times
1. Clayton County HRT will be in-service, but will not be 100% completed. There will be new stops in Hapeville, The International Terminal, Aerotropolis and along Tara Blvd. with construction ongoing for the southern part of the county.
2. Cobb, Gwinnett, and North Fulton Marta will be under construction after 1 cent tax increases are approved around 2018 for Cobb and Gwinnett.
3. The GA-400 / 285 interchange will be complete.
4. The 285 / I-20 interchanges on both sides of town will be under construction for major upgrades.
5. The city of Atlanta will continue to gain population. Redevelopment projects along Boulevard will be in progress and West Midtown will continue to grow. Neighborhoods like Adair Park and Capitol View will have growth spurts.
6. The perimeter area will look much different (new buildings, housing).
7. Gwinnett Place Mall will be closed and turned into a movie studio.
8. Vinings and Cumberland will see a huge increase in housing prices.
9. Hartsfield Jackson will no longer be the "busiest airport in the world."

Old 12-01-2014, 03:44 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Mathman will still be hating on Atlanta

Old 12-01-2014, 10:00 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
LOL. I should save this thread and see how much of these predictions don't happen in 10 years...

I think MOST of these are overly ambitious considering the financial dire straits transportation is in right now.. and it'll only get worse without other funding sources. 10 years is NOT as much time as some of you are stretching it out to be.

I hope MARTA is successfully passed in both Gwinnett and Cobb in 10 years. I could see that happening. More so for Gwinnett. The only two things that give me hope for MARTA passing in Cobb is the new stadium and the ever increasing minority population there.

Also, I don't care what anyone else says, I hope Clayton ends up getting HRT instead of CR.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:33 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
i'm still pondering the 2024 question, but on a longer scale, i think over the next few decades it will become increasingly obvious that atlanta's urban core is tiny compared to other cities. it's completely surrounded by historic single-family neighbourhoods. once it maxes out, there isn't anywhere else to go inside the city. these neighbourhoods might as well be natural boundaries like rivers, because of their historic nature they are unlikely to ever be replaced, especially places like virginia-highland, inman park, west end, and historic midtown.

this is, of course, assuming that the metro area's population continues to grow, which i expect it will.

at that point what you'll see is an exaggerated version of the multi-core setup we have now. perimeter center, cumberland, buckhead, alpharetta, the buford highway corridor, and likely other edge cities that haven't arisen yet will become as urbanized as downtown and midtown are now, with these "mini-cities" being separated by forested single-family neighbourhoods. the transportation system (both rail and highways) we will have then will look like several spoke-and-hub configurations jammed together.

keep in mind, i'm not talking about 2024 with this, this is 3 or 4 decades out. but this is probably my best educated guess as to what we're going to be looking at in the future.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:49 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
It seems like certain parts of metro Atlanta is in a big boom. I thought it would be interesting to get other people opinion on where you see Atlanta being 10 years from now.

Here are mine:

1.) Gwinnett County will be the only transit system to join Marta by 2024.
2.) Solid growth and more Skyscraper growth from Brookhaven through Buckhead, Midtown, and Atlanta.
3.) Midtown Atlanta will get at least 4 supertall towers over 80 stories since parking lot spaces and open land is running out and will force developers to build taller buildings by 2024.
4.) The Falcons will finally win a Superbowl by 2024, especially since Mike Smith and Thomas Demitroff will be gone.
5.) Whites will continue to flock into the City of Atlanta changing the total makeup the current government including the mayor office. It will also be a strong influx of Latino and Asians into the city of Atlanta. City of Atlanta government will be more diverse and dynamic.
6.) Castleberry Hill will stun Atlanta with it's development and fuel gentrification around Vine City, West End, and English Avenue corridors.
7.) Delta will continue to keep Atlanta in the forefront of aviations as Delta introduce several new routes to cities in Brazil, Africa, and China by 2024. Hartsfield Jackson will also see the introduction of serveral new carriers like Emirates, Turkish Air, Qatar, Asiana, Singapore, Jet Blue and others by 2024. The airport will also get the six new runway that has been proprosed.
8.) The National Hockey League will honor Atlanta with another team. They will find this huge metro population impossible to ignore.
9.) The water issue will re-emerge and be resolved;giving Atlanta permission to easily reach 8 million resident by 2024.
10.) The area known as the Gulch, will totally change the face of Atlanta, as the skyline will have dramatic views from the Southwest portion of the city.

Please list your prediction, let have some fun.
My predictions to yours:

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) No. Two, possibly. Four, seriously doubt it.
4) No. And I hope I'm wrong.
5) Yes. And try not to think of this as necessarily a good thing.
6) Yes but to a limited extent.
7) Yes.
8) No. Quebec City, Hamilton, Seattle, Kansas City, and perhaps even Toronto (a second team) are all ahead of us in line.
9) God I hope so.
10) Yes.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:32 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Interesting thread...I'll give it a try

I predict by 2024 that....

1)Atlanta's metro will have roughly 6.6 million residents...this is MSA.

2)Midtown will be the densest urban neighborhood in the South outside of Miami.

3)Atlanta's city population will be around 580k, maybe even over 600k if the economy can stabilize and Atlanta gets hype again.

4)O4W will be very walkable, much more than it is now.

5)Buckhead will be very dense and walkable in it's inner core.

6)Perimeter will also have decent density.

7)Atlanta demographics will be as follows: Black: 44% White(Non-Hispanic) : 40% Asian: 6% Hispanic/Latino(of any race): 10%.
8)Atlanta's main core skyline will be very filled and dense looking...many of those gaps between North Avenue and 10th Street will be filled. Very impressive looking.

9)Downtown will continue to see some resurgent, but I still don't think it will see a Midtown type resurgence yet.

10)Midtown will continue to boom...we may even see a signature urban retailer(Apple, a department store, etc).

11)Atlanta will still be very unimpressive overall though when it comes to density and transit...I don't see transit improving much at all between now and 2024 sadly. I just don't. We may see another streetcar line, but no more than one, if even.

12)Main core counties that will boom will be: Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, and Clayton. Dekalb will miss out on the boom as it continues to gain more and more issues and problems. Clayton is slowly beginning to solve their issues and new development is beginning to arrive.

13)Neighborhoods that will become fairly impressive on the walkable/density front: Atlantic Station, Home Park(This neighborhood is primed for development to bridge the gap between Midtown, Atlantic Station, and West Midtown), West Midtown, O4W, Grant Park north of I-20, Buckhead, Inman Park, Castlebury Hill, Sweet Auburn.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:09 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

10)Midtown will continue to boom...we may even see a signature urban retailer(Apple, a department store, etc).
this is on point. i think when you start to see department stores and flagship locations for big names in midtown, not in atlantic station, that is going to be one of the key signs that midtown is going in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta