Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 03:58 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times

Advertisements

I have about quarter million dollars in savings, I think I should be fine with the risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 04:02 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have about quarter million dollars in savings, I think I should be fine with the risk.
I would say it's a no-brainer, then.

The area of town you want to be in is perfect for what you do, and quite beautiful. Welcome!

Old 12-04-2014, 04:30 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Well, you are in a heck of a lot better financial shape to take such a major risk than most people who try and move here with or without a job whom usually don't have even a fraction of the savings that you have.

I'm still not very strong on people moving here without a job lined up unless they are independently wealthy as the Atlanta economy and job market, while slowly and steadily improving, is still somewhat soft across many sectors and you stated that you had not had much luck finding employment in Georgia so far.

Another thing to be aware of is that while the Atlanta market may be relatively substantially cheaper than most East Coast and West Coast markets, Atlanta is nowhere near as dirt cheap as many seem to think it is.

Moving to a new (and strange) city without well-paying employment lined up is still a significant risk even with a quarter million in savings.

While I strongly advise against moving here without a well-paying job lined up, at least you have enough of a financial cushion to take such a significant risk and make no mistake that it is a big risk as even with your substantial experience qualifications it is no guarantee that you will easily land a well-paying job after you move to Atlanta.

In any case, good luck with with your job search and your planned move to Atlanta.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:40 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
And earning putrid interest? Better get a financial planner.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:26 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And earning putrid interest? Better get a financial planner.
And you know any of this how, exactly? What an absolutely rude assumption, but so typical of you.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:08 PM

198 posts, read 153,746 times
Quote:
So what was the point of your original post? If it was just to let a bunch of strangers know you're a software engineer with $250K in savings, thinking they'd be impressed, then you're a perfect fit for Johns Creek!

Last edited by K1404; 12-04-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 11:00 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
the thing is I don't think people elsewhere in the country even realize what the situation is in places like Los Angeles. Here, virtually nobody who isn't stinking rich can even dream of owning anything bigger than a micro shack. 800 sqft micro shacks are selling for half million dollars... while the prevailing salaries in my profession are almost the same as in ATL. So, yes, LA has great weather and some other great things but that is like saying ok, this Toyota Corolla has some nice leather so pay $300,000 for it LMAO! You see how asinine it has become?

Now some people say fine I will pay $300,000 for the Toyota Corolla with leather but of course for some of us more rational it's time to move on to places that have some semblance of logic left in terms of home valuations with relation to income levels

Rather than take on debt at 10 times income like a huge number of people in LA are doing I would rather just spend the traditional 3 times income in another place. There was a recent documentary on people in Southern California trying to outbid investors and then making comments like "Oh! I got the house after outbidding the investor but now I have to eat Ramen noodles for the next 10 years" WTF? People here have just become insane I think. But that is how it is. Maybe it's mad cow disease from the UK I don't quite know what it is...

Old 12-05-2014, 05:05 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Quote:
the thing is I don't think people elsewhere in the country even realize what the situation is in places like Los Angeles. Here, virtually nobody who isn't stinking rich can even dream of owning anything bigger than a micro shack. 800 sqft micro shacks are selling for half million dollars... while the prevailing salaries in my profession are almost the same as in ATL. So, yes, LA has great weather and some other great things but that is like saying ok, this Toyota Corolla has some nice leather so pay $300,000 for it LMAO! You see how asinine it has become?

Now some people say fine I will pay $300,000 for the Toyota Corolla with leather but of course for some of us more rational it's time to move on to places that have some semblance of logic left in terms of home valuations with relation to income levels

Rather than take on debt at 10 times income like a huge number of people in LA are doing I would rather just spend the traditional 3 times income in another place. There was a recent documentary on people in Southern California trying to outbid investors and then making comments like "Oh! I got the house after outbidding the investor but now I have to eat Ramen noodles for the next 10 years" WTF? People here have just become insane I think. But that is how it is. Maybe it's mad cow disease from the UK I don't quite know what it is...
We don't have those problems here. The biggest issue we have is if we feel like moving! Lol

Old 12-05-2014, 05:10 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
With that amount of money in savings, I say go to Atlanta and get a place with a month to month lease that isn't too expensive. if you don't find a job within a few months then leave.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:29 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
Quote:
I'm interested in moving out there sometime in April and will be trying for a job but it's a bit tough to do remote interviews. If I cannot manage to get a contract I was thinking I would just move anyway and find work after I get there.

I'm a Sr. Software Engineer with 15 years experience, specializing in Enterprise Java, currently employed full time - there seem to be tons of jobs in the ATL area so at least for now it's looking pretty optimistic for moving there first and finding work.

There is also a certain urgency to make the move now - I want to buy a home in ATL before prices escalate even more and interest rates are still super low. I'm particularly interested in Johns Creek area and I have heard prices are shooting up there which is making me a bit nervous.

I have good savings to tide me over for the interim... thoughts?
I think you should just take the leap. I quit my job of 7 years during the height of the recession without another job lined up and was able to find employment within one month. I also work in the IT industry and the IT industry in Atlanta is very strong. I still get calls from companies daily looking to fill IT positions.

IT and the Medical Industries are the strongest in Atlanta right now, so I say go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta