Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:37 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling Gwinnett place will be okay. There are a lot of people living around there and they need a place to shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 05:12 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have a feeling Gwinnett place will be okay. There are a lot of people living around there and they need a place to shop.
I agree that the people living in the area need a place to shop.

The problem is that Gwinnett Place Mall does not appear to be that place that the people living in the area want to shop.

If the Gwinnett Place Mall area is to improve and return to prominence as a retail destination in the 21st Century, the area will most likely need to be overhauled into a high-density mixed-use development urban village built around and on top of stops on a future regional high-capacity rail transit line....Something which would fit into Gwinnett County's long-term plans to make the Gwinnett Place area the Central Business District of the county.

Otherwise, if the county chooses to abandon a retail model for the area (something that seems unlikely given Gwinnett Place's central location relative to the rest of Gwinnett County), Gwinnett Place Mall could be replaced with industrial and/or commercial development.

Either way, the current 31 year-old Gwinnett Place Mall structure (a stand-alone enclosed retail structure surrounded by acres of mostly-empty parking spaces) is seriously outmoded and outdated and likely will be demolished and replaced with more modern development in the not-too-distant future.

Needless to say, Gwinnett Place Mall as we know it appears to be nearing the very end of its lifespan of a useful retail structure.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:28 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,411,149 times
Is Sugarloaf Mills the same as Discover Mills? I was living in the area when Discover Mills opened. I haven't been in the area over ten years.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:32 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Is Sugarloaf Mills the same as Discover Mills? I was living in the area when Discover Mills opened. I haven't been in the area over ten years.
Yes.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:47 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Yes and it's great place to shop if you speak Spanish.

We go to Dave and Busters every once in a while, but other than that we never go to Discover Mills or Gwinnett Place Mall. If we need to visit a mall, we go to Mall of Georgia or North Point.

They should just designate the area around GPM as Chinatown.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:06 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Yep. There was actually a contract with Discover Card to name the mall. Those naming rights ended and were not renewed after 10 years, so they had to find a new name for the mall.

Sugarloaf Mills is more proper to the area, but its hard to change it my mind sometimes.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:09 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Yes and it's great place to shop if you speak Spanish.

We go to Dave and Busters every once in a while, but other than that we never go to Discover Mills or Gwinnett Place Mall. If we need to visit a mall, we go to Mall of Georgia or North Point.

They should just designate the area around GPM as Chinatown.
I'd say Korea-town....

Discover Mills has a decent food course for people that work in the area and just need to get out. Typical Mall stuff, but at least it is all open and busy. We occasionally go there for the Shoney's. It reminds me of when we were kids. We always stopped there on road trips.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:22 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,411,149 times
There's a Dave & Busters there? I remember when Mills had a knock-off called Jillian's.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:33 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
There's a Dave & Busters there? I remember when Mills had a knock-off called Jillian's.
Same place, D&B bought them out years ago. It's a decent place for food/beer, games, bowling, pool, etc.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:05 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
If you haven't seen that part of town in 10 years, yeah it's changed - a lot.

It's much more built up now along the Satellite corridor from Gwinnett Place to the North.

Even along Brown Road across from Sugarloaf Mills there are mid-rise office buildings, townhomes, new neighborhoods with big homes on tiny lots (but very nice), new parks, etc.

Gwinnett is fast approaching 900,000 people.

Oh, and as far as the NCR buildings - they lease about 3 or 4 mid-rise buildings on Satellite North of Gwinnett Place for their main HQ's. I'm sure those buildings will lease up when they leave for Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta