Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:15 PM

196 posts, read 388,766 times

Advertisements

I moved to Ellenwood in October 2014, and after noticing a foul smell in the air that will not go away I asked neighbors if they can smell it and what it was. I was told that there is a pet food factory nearby, but I haven't found it on a search (Google Maps, Earth, searching the web...). Does anyone know something about this? Its getting to be like chinese water torture - I want to contact them and complain about it. The stench is so offensive, it smells like burning silly putty, and its always there, if even a hint. Its hard to enjoy a meal, or just relax - the stink is always there. If I would have known I would have never moved here. If you know anything about this place, please enlighten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 10:38 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
If it's a factory that was there long before you moved there and nobody seems to care, I highly doubt complaining about it would do a hill of beans of good.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If it's a factory that was there long before you moved there and nobody seems to care, I highly doubt complaining about it would do a hill of beans of good.
Who said nobody cares? I didn't say that. People I talk to cannot stand the stench either, and a factory emitting foul odors does not have precedence over citizens, no matter when they moved in. Furthermore, I asked if someone can tell me about the factory, I don't see how your response is on topic. Furthermore, I'm not asking for a prediction or permission, or an evaluation of my action, or what I plan to do. I could care less about your opinion on whether or not my complaining will be effective or not and I wasn't asking for an opinion on that. I just need to know about that factory, and let me worry about what I do about it.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:10 AM

950 posts, read 3,191,239 times
I believe International Paper have plants/factories very close to Ellenwood.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:57 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times
Why don't you call the city of Ellenwood. Surely, they would know who owns the factory and maybe even be able to provide contact information or history on the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
Who said nobody cares? I didn't say that. People I talk to cannot stand the stench either, and a factory emitting foul odors does not have precedence over citizens, no matter when they moved in. Furthermore, I asked if someone can tell me about the factory, I don't see how your response is on topic. Furthermore, I'm not asking for a prediction or permission, or an evaluation of my action, or what I plan to do. I could care less about your opinion on whether or not my complaining will be effective or not and I wasn't asking for an opinion on that. I just need to know about that factory, and let me worry about what I do about it.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:31 AM

950 posts, read 3,191,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Why don't you call the city of Ellenwood. Surely, they would know who owns the factory and maybe even be able to provide contact information or history on the situation.
Ellenwood is an unincorporated community not a city.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:26 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
I moved to Ellenwood in October 2014, and after noticing a foul smell in the air that will not go away I asked neighbors if they can smell it and what it was. I was told that there is a pet food factory nearby, but I haven't found it on a search (Google Maps, Earth, searching the web...). Does anyone know something about this? Its getting to be like chinese water torture - I want to contact them and complain about it. The stench is so offensive, it smells like burning silly putty, and its always there, if even a hint. Its hard to enjoy a meal, or just relax - the stink is always there. If I would have known I would have never moved here. If you know anything about this place, please enlighten me.
Call your local county government (Dekalb, Clayton, or Henry depending on what part of ellenwood you live in) and ask them to give you more info. May I ask exactly what area you live in also to get an idea of where the smell's coming from. I've driven near 675 and Anvil Block Rd. and that's where the factory would be because the smell is strongest there.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:37 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
Dekalb County also has their landfill nearby (further up Moreland inside 285) Depending upon which direction the wind is blowing......

Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 PM

Thanks for your input everyone. I have sent a communication to Dekalb County (I guess I need to send it to Clayton too) and am waiting a response. There is also SP Petroleum Transport very near me. The name doesn't tell all of what they do - they process and recycle fuels and oils, and a lot of other stuff that could be a factor. I am very close to the Walmart on Anvil Block Road - you can smell it inside thd store too. Its also an eye irritant, and my wife and I have felt a blow to our energy since moving here - we literally cannot stay awake for very long. I suspect, as usual, this is more than a foul smell and its time someone does something about it...

Old 07-08-2016, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,566 times
Default Foul smell in Ellenwood Nothing more than the Landfill on Clevemont

My wonder Ellenwood neighbors; What you are smelling is nothing more than that sickening Landfilled on Clevemont Road. It is a environmental hazard that causes many health issues; including cancer. I brought it to the attention of our County Representatives, then CEO, Burrell Ellis, and many other leaders when I became the pastor of County Line United Methodist Church over 10 years ago. When it was first established, it had a life span of 25 years. However, Georgia Power has a contract to buys green gas(which they sell to back to you, among others) from the landfill and it now has a life span of 75 years. Neighbors, your fight is with the Dekalb County government, the Federal Government (EPA), and Georgia Power. I tried to get the support of the community but community organizers were more interested in street lights and sewer lines. I could not fight this fight alone because it is a "Biggie." I came to realize that it too big for me and members of County Line UMC.
I am here if you need me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta