Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:08 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,891,306 times

Advertisements

MARTA Is Making A Comeback, With Or Without Funding | WABE 90.1 FM

Quote:
MARTA is no longer a four-letter word in metro Atlanta.

For years, MARTA has been the battered and neglected transportation stepchild in Georgia. But today, it's on the rebound.

The ninth largest transit agency in the country operating in the black. Its ridership is up. Its trains are running more often. It's even improving its bus service ─ cut during the Great Recession and tight budget years.

In November, Clayton County became the third county to join the regional transit system ─ the first in 40 years ─ adding to MARTA's momentum. The Atlanta Streetcar's launch in December was the first expansion of a new rail line in years.

MARTA is the largest transit system in the country to receive no annual operating revenues from the state. For more than four decades, only two counties have been paying the 1 cent MARTA sales tax ─ Fulton and DeKalb ─ even though the entire region has benefited from the investment in transit.

Think about it.

Atlanta would never have won the 1996 Summer Olympic Games bid without MARTA. Or either of the Super Bowls. Or the Final Four. Or any of the other major sporting events we get on a regular basis. What about our major conventions? And how about our direct MARTA line to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport? It's hard to imagine how horrendous our region's traffic would be if MARTA was not taking thousands of cars off our highways and roads every day.

Despite the regional and statewide benefits of MARTA, two counties have been shouldering the financial burden of the system for decades. Because we have not invested more in MARTA, it has not expanded into the five-county system that was originally envisioned.

At long last, state leaders are willing to say the world "transit." Some even mention the word "MARTA" in mixed company. A joint Legislative Study Committee released a report that actually called for the state to fund transit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 02:20 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,252,624 times
Here's a novel idea. Since the topic is Marta's comeback, let's discuss that. There are a million threads discussing its issues and failures. There is plenty of debate on the subject on various threads, we don't need the same droning negativity in this one.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:25 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,379,655 times
Good story to read. I've been anxious to see MARTA be the system it was dreamed of being. It is definitely a superlative for Atlanta. It's the ONLY heavy rail in the south, and will be for a very long time it appears. I don't think Georgia should keep it afloat, but I do think they could part with some money to aid it's viability. They could help it with maintenance, refurbishment, and expansions. First and foremost, it needs to be ran correctly and efficiently. Priority number one is doing the best with what it is presently. If increased ridership leads to more money in the system, it will do no good if mismanaged. Still, adding rail to Alpharetta is in the best interest of the region, IMO.

MARTA, like so much of metropolitan Atlanta, has been largely a success IN SPITE OF Georgia's apathy. Long live MARTA.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,131,949 times
Next up: getting people to write "MARTA" instead of "Marta" or "the Marta."

Old 01-22-2015, 08:01 PM

284 posts, read 591,454 times
Can't give Gulch more rep so

Old 01-22-2015, 08:38 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,849,345 times
Keep it up, MARTA.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,959,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
Can't give Gulch more rep so
Same here.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:52 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,959,564 times
I was a regular Gold Line rider from Brookhaven to Civic Center before I started working from home over two years ago.

I recently took the train to the Airport for the first time in months, and I definitely noticed a difference. The headways are SO much better, the arrival/departure info is live again and much improved, the stations and trains were clean, I saw several cops in the stations and on the trains and it seemed much busier and more vibrant.

The almost 11% increase in ridership shows. Now if only they would take care of the landscaping pots and planters outside of the stations that used to be so beautiful a few years ago.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:45 PM

165 posts, read 170,157 times
Quote:
MARTA is no longer a four-letter word in metro Atlanta.
Uuuuuumm....

Old 01-23-2015, 04:37 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,490,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Good story to read. I've been anxious to see MARTA be the system it was dreamed of being. It is definitely a superlative for Atlanta. It's the ONLY heavy rail in the south, and will be for a very long time it appears. I don't think Georgia should keep it afloat, but I do think they could part with some money to aid it's viability. They could help it with maintenance, refurbishment, and expansions. First and foremost, it needs to be ran correctly and efficiently. Priority number one is doing the best with what it is presently. If increased ridership leads to more money in the system, it will do no good if mismanaged. Still, adding rail to Alpharetta is in the best interest of the region, IMO.

MARTA, like so much of metropolitan Atlanta, has been largely a success IN SPITE OF Georgia's apathy. Long live MARTA.
Yeah, after the I-20 East expansion of heavy rail occurs which has already had its environmental impact, etc. done which has been in the works much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta