Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 12:26 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I was not aware and most people I know except those who live there are also unaware.
All airports have information areas to ask about these things because most infrequent visitors won't know about mass transit options to and from the airport or the logistics of those options.

Quote:
Many people don't want to get on a bus with there luggage.
The Sprinter bus has luggage racks and wide aisles because it directly serves the airport from Uptown. It's not much different than the silver line in Boston which serves Logan Airport in that respect.

Quote:
Not to mention what of you need to go further in town?

MARTA will take you 40 miles North and several miles east and weat..
You specifically mentioned transit options from the airport to downtown, so that's the point I'm correcting you on. We all know that MARTA is an overall larger system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 12:53 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,186 times
Quote:
So a city of 46 Sq miles a population of over 800,000 in the city and over 8 million in its metro to Atlanta with a land area of 147 Sq miles and a population under 500,000 metro 5.5 million.
San Francisco's MSA is 4.5 million. The San Jose-San Francisco CSA is 8.47 million. (2013)

Atlanta's MSA is 5.5 million. The Atlanta-Athens CSA is almost 6.2 million. (2013)

If you're going to use CSA figures for one, you must use for all.

San Francisco's land area is almost 47 square miles. Atlanta's land area is 132 square miles.

Not being a know-it-all, I just like to keep things factual.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:58 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Having visited Atlanta for the first time in 30 years transportation is the only real pressing issue that stood out to me. MARTA could be a lot better, particularly when I had to wait for 5 minutes in front of the airport for the car to actually pull into the airport while we waited for another train to leave. Sure, you have multiple urban cores but I actually prefer that to having everything downtown.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:49 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayoticworld View Post
This is where you lost me? Please quote where I've said anything about Charlotte in this forum. As a matter of fact the only time I've even mentioned Dallas, Houston or any other cities by name was in the list of cities I think are doing better at infrastructure improvements. Which was like 2 post ago. Are you sure you even talking to the right person?
No you did not bring up Charlotte specifically.i did get your comments confused but my point still stands about Atlanta compared to other cities.
I don't think Atlanta is behind nor is ahead compared to most cities.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
All airports have information areas to ask about these things because most infrequent visitors won't know about mass transit options to and from the airport or the logistics of those options.

You specifically mentioned transit options from the airport to downtown, so that's the point I'm correcting you on. We all know that MARTA is an overall larger system.

I'm not disagreeing with any of it but I think most people.are going beyond the reach of where the shuttle will take them.
Also It's a bus that can get caught on traffic and has limited capacity.Still better than nothing but in many cities in America because of time constraints, buses are ignored.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:34 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with any of it but I think most people.are going beyond the reach of where the shuttle will take them.
Also It's a bus that can get caught on traffic and has limited capacity.Still better than nothing but in many cities in America because of time constraints, buses are ignored.
You know, it's really not that hard to say "I was mistaken on that point about Charlotte; thanks for the information." You're still trying to find a way to be right but nobody is right about everything all the time.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:52 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
I was surprise to see that article. Charlotte Metro is not on the same level as Atlanta, it is doing its on thing.
Downtown Atlanta is 4 square miles Charlotte is 2 square miles.

Charlotte is in a build boom but it would have to take a lot of building to just catch up with the city of Atlanta.
I think the city of Charlotte for 2014 will go over 800,000. Charlotte gains about 20,000 people a year.

I known Atlanta took a dip in population, but its still has a big center city, that is bigger than any city in North Carolina.

Last edited by CLT1985; 02-22-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I think the citizens of Atlanta react that way due to the fact that Charlotte sometimes has an "in-your-face" attitude at times. Most Atlantans are aware that the cities are economic competitors in terms of attracting business and investment. But competitors in terms of economic size? Certainly not. Charlotte is doing well, and it is likely to keep growing, but it also has to compete with Raleigh now too. Raleigh-Durham is growing faster and is likely to overtake Charlotte one day soon. Wake county is about to overtake Mecklenburg as the largest county in the state. Raleigh's metro area is growing faster too. Raleigh-Durham CSA is only slightly smaller and is adding more people than Charlotte's CSA. Charlotte's attempts at arrogance are a little misplaced and feeble given that it won't likely remain the dominant region in the Carolina's for much longer.
Wake County is bigger in size than Mecklenburg County, one day it will.

From 2000 to 2013 Charlotte gain 223,004 people, out gain Raleigh by 81,442 people and Durham by 166,399 people.
From 2000 to 2013 Raleigh gain 141,562
From 200 to 2013 Durham gain 56,605

Charlotte out gain Raleigh & Durham by 23,837 people.

Last edited by CLT1985; 02-22-2015 at 07:48 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 07:50 PM

Forbes always says Raleigh is the fastest growing city in the US, but it is not the fastest growing city in North Carolina.

The more people you have a metro, it takes longer sometimes to get unemployment down. Charlotte gain 100,000 jobs in the last 5 years, but it is just staying a head of the curve.

Think how many jobs Atlanta metro would have to create just to stay even. Your metro is gaining people more than Charlotte so it may take longer. If the economy stays ok , I feel that Atlanta will do ok.

Last edited by CLT1985; 02-22-2015 at 07:59 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You know, it's really not that hard to say "I was mistaken on that point about Charlotte; thanks for the information." You're still trying to find a way to be right but nobody is right about everything all the time.
I thought I did say "I did not know.."You definitely rather take what people say instead of you trying to make someone see things like you.I gave you my answer and that's it.

YES A BUS IS TRANSIT.However buses are not always practical.Especially on a smaller city like Charlotte.

No it never occurred
to me in most cases if the city does not have an extensive light rail or a subway to look for anything else other than a taxi.or private car for hire.
I don't know for a fact but I would be surprised if the majority of people coming from the airport ride the shuttle versus other means.i could be wrong but this is my reasoning.You don't have to agree but yiu will accept it or prove it wrong or move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta