Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:44 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,837,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I read an article this morning about a recently-announced upgrade to Houston's transit lines that makes me very very hopeful for the results of MARTA's Comprehensive Operations Analysis. If the changes MARTA makes to its bus system are as good as this, I'm going to have to give riding the bus a shot.

Human Transit: houston: transit, reimagined
I like that.

Changing bus routes is very political, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 AM

6 posts, read 6,976 times
Buses can be a solution to transit, but it is necessary to make efforts at changing the system. Before moving to ATL (>20 years ago) I lived in a city with excellent bus service and I took it almost everyday to and from work. Here are the characteristics of the success of that system : 1. Buses were frequent, particularly at rush hours, always within 10 minutes; 2. Schedules were posted at every stop and were adhered to with high reliability; 3. Stops were spaced at reasonable walking intervals; 4. Stops were often covered or near a place where one could wait outside of the elements; 5. Payment was always prior to boarding and no contact with the driver was necessary; 6. In congested areas, buses and taxis had a priority lane that was strictly enforced, only turning cars could use those lanes during posted rush hour times. All of these factors meant a busy, efficient and dependable bus system, more efficient and dependable than driving to work by car. Two additional things that have been added since those days: 1. traffic lights that are tripped in advance to clear dedicated lanes so that red lights do not interrupt flow of transit vehicles and 2. electronic signs at bus stops that tell passengers when the next bus is arriving at the stop (all totally possible with GPS). All of these factors add up to more people using transit for commuting to work and a reduction in congestion for everyone.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:29 AM

284 posts, read 591,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
As long as Marta continue to ignore Hispanics patrons, it will not have a good reputation in the Hispanic communities.
Hispanics need to see Hispanic faces, spanish speaking people working in Marta, they represent a big chunk of Marta revenue but Marta still hire very few Hispanics.

The Hispanic buses (the orange ones) are more efficient than Marta buses
When I lived in Decatur we used to take MARTA to Chamblee then use the grey jitney that not only went up & down Buford Hwy (stopping jusssst before the offical MARTA stop) but actually pulled up to the storefronts so you didn't have to walk across a huge parking lot to carry groceries to the bus. I know MARTA mobility will do that when it goes to Kroger/Publix/Wal-Mart etc but not the regular buses as far as I know.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:32 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,841,178 times
I took MARTA every day for many years as a college student and at my last job I took the train pretty regularly so here is my view:

- Buses are slow, like others have said, they stop for so many other people - they also get you stuck in traffic like a car. I remember having to go to an interview on Clairmont Rd and being late because of the bus being held up in traffic. Trains don't get stuck in traffic so people prefer them

- Weather, no one wants to sit and wait for buses in extreme heat or cold or in the rain and won't do it unless they have to

- Annoying people, people in general IMO are pretty annoying lol. Funny but IMO true and I also have a sensitive nose and don't want to smell funky people on the bus

- Not my personal factor but I know it is other people's factor - being afraid. Though I think people are annoying, I 'm not afraid of people in general, they just have the tendency to stink in large groups and be loud and get on my nerves. But many people are always afraid of crime and I don't think there is a way to ever stop that from occurring. Heck, people are afraid to ride on trains

- Having a family and needing to go multiple places. This is the reason why I didn't ride MARTA so much after college. I had a kid and needed to get him to daycare/school along with going to work myself. Taking the bus/train/bus combo twice would take me nearly 2 hours each way to do those things. I could drive it in less than an hour. Time is important to families and it is not feasible to take the bus when you have multiple stops in most instances.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
As long as Marta continue to ignore Hispanics patrons, it will not have a good reputation in the Hispanic communities.
Hispanics need to see Hispanic faces, spanish speaking people working in Marta, they represent a big chunk of Marta revenue but Marta still hire very few Hispanics.

The Hispanic buses (the orange ones) are more efficient than Marta buses
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
No, the Spanish speaking people need to learn English.
Though I agree with Ansley, I do think MARTA should hire more hispanics or at least make an effort at recruiting more hispanic workers as they do make up a large amount of riders. I lived on Buford Hwy when I was in college and practically everyone was hispanic on the bus. Many times I felt the driver was VERY insensitive and disrespectful to the spanish speaking riders.

Though I am all for learning English while living in America, I also understand that it is hard to learn a second language as an adult. Most of the kids with the hispanic riders knew English and studies have shown that by the 3rd generation, many immigrant grandchildren lose their grandparents tongue so I am not all that worried about the adults speaking English. Hispanics spend their money to ride MARTA and should be respected and have some sort of accommodation to encourage more ridership since they are less fearful than other demographics of buses IMO. There is no reason to make it harder for them when something simple like announcing things via the computer in Spanish can be done for low or no cost. Also there is not reason not to hire hispanic workers.

ETA: On the English speaking thing, I know a lot of Polish people in my hometown whose grandparents only spoke Polish. I knew a few Italians and Greeks with grandparents that were the same. We should be cognizant of the fact that a large majority of those of European descent in this country are not that far off from their country of origin and it is highly probable that the first generation to come to this country did not speak English and never learned.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:39 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,790,160 times
So if someone takes the bus to the train station daily how much will that be?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
So if someone takes the bus to the train station daily how much will that be?
Depends on what sort of pass you buy. Last I took the train it was $2.50 to take the bus to the train station but that would also get you another ride on the train and maybe another bus if you need it. You can buy a weekly or monthly pass for unlimited rides for a specific fee. Students can get discounted monthly passes. When I was in college my monthy pass was only $30 a month but I know they are substantially more now since a ride back then was only $1.25.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,790,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Depends on what sort of pass you buy. Last I took the train it was $2.50 to take the bus to the train station but that would also get you another ride on the train and maybe another bus if you need it. You can buy a weekly or monthly pass for unlimited rides for a specific fee. Students can get discounted monthly passes. When I was in college my monthy pass was only $30 a month but I know they are substantially more now since a ride back then was only $1.25.
Ok. Thanks

Old 02-19-2015, 10:11 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,642,628 times
free popcorn?

Old 02-19-2015, 01:39 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,386,148 times
They could make it a trolley? the old clang clang kind..

I have never been a fan of busses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta