Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:50 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
That was less than a minute of noise. And it really wasn't even that bad. What do you do when a police siren or a firetruck or a train goes by? If you want no standard city noises, you need to move to the Country and haul your own trash to the dump. It's not like it's 30 minutes of jackhammering at 5am. Or chainsaws.
Yeah, there's a Quick Trip adjacent to my street, and I sometimes hear trash pickup early in the morning before I get up, but I've never thought of complaining. If you live in an urban environment, you can't expect perfect quiet, and if a person can't handle 30 seconds of noise like that once a week, then it's time to move to the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 05:54 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
And this my city-data friends, is why Unions and collective bargaining are totally necessary.

Only in an ignorant backwoods hillbilly state that nonsense like this is possible. This is simply human rights abuse. Did the guy even have a choice in going out to work early?

I am waiting on pins and needles for the day that Georgia's voting population becomes blue enough to kick these idiots out of power.

These "conservatives" and the laws they create are very dehumanizing and totally suck.
I can't wait until we are blue and businesses stop moving here!

Follow the law/ordinance and you won't have a problem.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:56 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
One factor I "love" about local corporate media: They always go out of their way to protect the identity of the company in most situations.

What is the name of the sanitation company Mr. McGill was employed at at the time of his arrest? How many fines was this "un-named" company given for collecting trash too early?

Is the company on contract with the city of Sandy Springs? If so, why is there not a stipulation in the contract against trucks collecting trash too early?

I've worked at a few private businesses and they typically have made it known in no uncertain terms what they expect of me. And that I can easily be terminated without warning for violating those terms.

That being said, I find it hard to believe that a private company...especially in an "At will" employment state like Georgia, is so lackadaisical with enforcing policy. You mean to tell me that no one at this "un-named" company stringently told Mr. McGill not to collect earlier than 7am?

Come on, now.

WSBtv as usual is lacking extremely in detail. And just seemingly goes for "shock & awe"/"click bait" reporting at the expense of informative journalism.

Hey newsboy, where are you? Fill us in on the details, why don't ya?

Last edited by AcidSnake; 03-09-2015 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: Because the Georgia citizen is being deprived of real reporting

Old 03-09-2015, 05:59 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,372,544 times
I don't know which is more pathetic: that Sandy Springs would throw a worker in jail over this, or that its residents would call 911 with a petty noise complaint.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:03 AM

I never had to complain about Dekalb County Sanitation. But then again, they are a government agency, not a private one.

Take this posting any way you want it.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:04 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
One factor I "love" about local corporate media: They always go out of their way to protect the identity of the company in most situations.

What is the name of the sanitation company Mr. McGill was employed at at the time of his arrest? How many fines were this "un-named" company given for collecting trash too early?

Is the company on contract with the city of Sandy Springs? If so, why is there not a stipulation in the contract against trucks collecting trash too early?

I've worked at a few private businesses and they typically have made it known in no uncertain terms what they expect of me. And that I can easily be terminated without warning for violating those terms.

That being said, I find it hard to believe that a private company...especially in an "At will" employment state like Georgia, is so lackadaisical with enforcing policy. You mean to tell me that no one at this "un-named" company stringently told Mr. McGill not to collect earlier than 7am?

Come on, now.

WSBtv as usual is lacking extremely in detail. And just seemingly goes for "shock & awe"/"click bait" reporting at the expense of informative journalism.

Hey newsboy, where are you? Fill us in on the details, why don't ya?
Yes, the reporting on this incident is so thin that it leaves me with the same questions you have. It's not even clear from the story where the trash pickup took place - was it residential or commercial pickup? Did this driver even know it was against the local noise ordinance to pick up trash at that time, and was he issued any sort of warning prior to being charged?, etc...

Last edited by stillinthesouth; 03-09-2015 at 06:14 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 07:02 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
I'll have to find the article again.

He works for Waste Management. Been with the company about 3 months now. The solicitor took a hard stance because the fines weren't working. Another driver has been convicted and sentenced for the same "crime." They decided that fines arent working so jail is the only option at this point.

People complaining must live near commercial locations or apartment complexes.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:29 AM

I thought private agencies were supposed to be more responsive, efficient, and results-oriented than public ones. At least that's how this privatization stuff was sold.

Go figure.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:33 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I don't know which is more pathetic: that Sandy Springs would throw a worker in jail over this, or that its residents would call 911 with a petty noise complaint.
Sandy Springs uses 911 as a number for non-emergency calls apparently.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:41 AM

I'm just wondering: What exactly would arresting the employees of these Sanitation companies for collecting trash too early accomplish?

Are the employees supposed to exert some sort of pressure on the employer? Should they walk out on the job?

In this "at will" "right to work" state, workers trying to strike are looked down on and demonized.

So what exactly is it that the City of Sandy Springs is expecting as an outcome here by attacking the little people on the totem pole?

Gosh, what a dumb contradictory city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta