Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 06:48 AM

3 posts, read 3,335 times

Advertisements

Good Morning! I have been reading this forum for years. You all are a wealth of information. Forgive me ahead of time if any of my questions/comments may come off as ignorant. I am here to learn from people. I have used Google for a lot of questions but I am really looking for opinions.

I recently started a job near the Mercer University day campus on the Chamblee Tucker exit of I-85N. I am wanting to relocate so that my commute is less than the current 50 miles (one way). My budget is low and circumstances are of an entry-level sort but I am looking for a recommendation for a clean, decent apartment complex or even just an area with which I can look.

I had been doing research here and saw that Peachtree Corners was recommended. Well yesterday I checked out an apartment in the area and encountered 3 Gwinett County Sheriffs who ALL told me that Norcross was the worst area in Gwinett, including Peachtree Corners. I respect that opinion. They also informed me that they did not live in the area. They recommended Lawrenceville, Snellville and the Mall of GA area. That is a bit further than I wanted. If anyone could recommend anything area wise or apartment complex specific, I would be so grateful. The city is getting so expensive! I used to live in Atlantic Station and loved it. I just would rather not pay $1100 for a 600 sq ft apartment. I would humbly ask that anyone with negative or rude comments please keep them to yourself. I am just asking because I do not know. I know the West side of Atlanta and downtown like my own hand. But Dunwoody to Decatur is not an area that I am familiar with. Thank you for your time.

1. Under 850 a month/rentwise
2. I am interested in house/apartment/anything that I can rent basically (Preferably a 2 bed 2 bath but 2 bed 1 bath is awesome too.)
3. I commute to the Chamblee Tucker area in the Mercer University Office Park
4. I currently have a 1 year old and this is a temporary move so schooling is not too important at this time. I would like to find an area where I can either walk, or drive somewhere to walk with the stroller and let her play. Possibly a nice sized park.
5. I am fine with either Suburban or Urban ways of life. My husband is country and I'm a little bit rock n roll ;-) (He's from the country, I'm a city girl. We're fine in either location)
6. Access to Marta or a public transit would be nice but is NOT a major factor.
7. I would like to find a nice area that is diverse. I am not looking to be in a "Hood" area, or a "trashy" area. I don't mind locking my doors at night, but I don't want to be scared to walk to my car. Safety is a priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:06 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
I don't know.... but the reality is probably a little more nuanced, and sheriffs are not the most nuanced people (in my experience). I would agree that low end apartment complexes around Norcross and Peachtree Corners are not always desireable, but there is a difference between Norcross proper, and other areas of Norcross which are not within the city limits.

I live in Norcross. If I had to work where you do I would also consider Chamblee, Doraville and the North Druid Hills Rd area east of I-85

Under $850 is going to be very difficult to do near the city. Basically unheard of for a 2 bedroom.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:13 AM

Thank you for that reply. I feel the same way. Like I said this is an "entry level" position within this company so the pay sucks. I think we will consider a 1 bedroom since my daughter is still a toddler. I have been looking at both 1-2 bedrooms and the price is still pretty high. Gotta love that the company will pay you to work somewhere that you can't afford to live decently. smh. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:20 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Quote:
3 Gwinett County Sheriffs who ALL told me that Norcross was the worst area in Gwinett
I agree with the poster above. I would certainly never argue with a Gwinnett county sheriff, but I have a really difficult time believing this. And for them to tell you to move to Mall of GA....hell, why not just tell you to go to South Carolina and call it a day?

As Tarzanman indicated, if you are in the city of Norcross or city of Peachtree Corners, you are under the jurisdiction of those city local police forces, which are generally more proactive than the county. I bet the sheriffs were referring to the unincorporated areas of Gwinnett county often referred to as Norcross, which yeah, can get pretty rough.

But here's the rub: At your price range, for what you are looking for, pretty much anything south of the Mall of Georgia is going to be hood. There may be some diamonds in the rough here and there, but there's really no way around capitalism: if you want nice, big, and safe, that comes at a price. That price varies depending on location, and anything really south of the 985 split is going to be deemed convenient enough to command a higher price than that.

Maybe you do want to look around Suwanee/Mall of GA/Hamilton Mill. Most people wouldn't consider that very convenient, but if you are currently commuting 50 miles, it would certainly be an improvement over that.

Also, this is just my personal experience....I've lived in lots of different places, from walking distance to Lenox Mall in Buckhead to pretty grimey parts of unincorporated Gwinnett county off I-85 between Pleasantdale and Jimmy Carter. While the living experiences were night and day, I actually didn't have a problem with crime either place and walked to get my mail at 3am with impunity in each location.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:46 AM

ATLTJL Thank you so much for pointing that out about the sheriffs. I try to remember that all they see will typically be negative on their patrol. If they were to patrol another area, it would probably be a similar warning. Maybe. I don't know. But I can see how city vs county could vary. As I rode through Peachtree Corners, I felt pretty comfortable. I am not needing a "Pleasantville" neighborhood. Things happen. You have to be safe EVERYWHERE you go. :-) I have had similar experiences of walking in the West End, Buckhead, and many other places in the wee hours. I have never had an issue with crime. Thank you so much for both of these posts. That actually put it into focus for me. I think I will ride through Peachtree Corners near The Forum and near the police stations to see what I can find apartment wise. Again, thank you both so much for excellent replies. At the end of the day, it is up to myself and my husband to protect and make wise choices for our little one and our own safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta