Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times

Advertisements

http://saportareport.com/leadership/...ative-to-cars/
Quote:
Research shows that MARTA has an opportunity to:

Increase awareness of where the system goes, both region-wide and at the local level. Many potential customers don’t know if there is a stop or station near where they live, work, or travel for personal business.
Use MARTA rail as an introductory point to the system; potential riders are far more likely to try rail first.
Increase awareness of the value of MARTA – which is a flat fare system that costs $2.50 to ride (and $1 for a Breeze card) with free transfers.
Increase participation among area employers in the Employer Partnership Program, targeting those with their workers who are the most likely to ride.
Promote MARTA’s safety and low-crime rate, particularly among non-riders.
Improve customer service through better employee training
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 11:00 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Breaking news!

I'm glad MARTA commissioned a study to discover those hidden points.

I wonder how much money was spent to do so.

If there's anything in the world MARTA needed…it was another study.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:02 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
Although I hear concerns about safety touted a lot among non or less regular riders, I don't think concerns about safety are the real thing that holds us back.
  1. The major thing holding back potential riders in the suburbs who may be transplants and have been accustomed to using public transit in the past is lack of access. Something has to be done to expand the system to reach these people. In short, it's not so much that's not a viable option but not an available option.
  2. Some of the communications on the Website and at the train stations read like go up and make a turn next to the tree where the old church used to be. The Website has some serious usability problems reagarding consistency of information. It appears to be designed for people who already knew how to use transit to get where they were going. Yes, I know there's a phone app that should provide current information but how does it help me to find out when a bus is arriving somewhere 20 stops away when I don't even know where the stops are? I want to here when it's arriving where I am.
  3. Some of the systems need updating. I bought my Breeze Card at a train station after reading a long list of instructions that could have been way more concise about how to get on the train. 1. But the card for a dollar. 2. Add some money to it. 3. Tap it at the entrance you're standing to nezt to while reading this. 4. Tap it at the exit when you leave if you want a transfer. I digressed a bit there, but my point was going to be when I went online and bought a week of service for my card, the first thing that happened is that my card did not work on the bus for that initial ride. I was like oh ok (to the bus driver), well, how much is the fare to stay on this bus for now. He said if I could just show him the email from when I bought it the night before, that would be fine. He said that sometimes, the card has to be used at the train before it's used on the bus. I would have liked to have like to have known that before I boarded the bus. Something needs fixing there.

Of things that are right, I have never called customer service and not gotten a question answered quickly accurately. I have never felt in danger. I think what are supposed to be what are the new buses (don't really recall what the old ones looked like) are comfortable and the a/c worked quite well.

Overall, I'm pleased with MARTA, I just wish I had a less convoluted description of how to get from Point A to Point B.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Although I hear concerns about safety touted a lot among non or less regular riders, I don't think concerns about safety are the real thing that holds us back.
  1. The major thing holding back potential riders in the suburbs who may be transplants and have been accustomed to using public transit in the past is lack of access. Something has to be done to expand the system to reach these people. In short, it's not so much that's not a viable option but not an available option.
  2. Some of the communications on the Website and at the train stations read like go up and make a turn next to the tree where the old church used to be. The Website has some serious usability problems reagarding consistency of information. It appears to be designed for people who already knew how to use transit to get where they were going. Yes, I know there's a phone app that should provide current information but how does it help me to find out when a bus is arriving somewhere 20 stops away when I don't even know where the stops are? I want to here when it's arriving where I am.
  3. Some of the systems need updating. I bought my Breeze Card at a train station after reading a long list of instructions that could have been way more concise about how to get on the train. 1. But the card for a dollar. 2. Add some money to it. 3. Tap it at the entrance you're standing to nezt to while reading this. 4. Tap it at the exit when you leave if you want a transfer. I digressed a bit there, but my point was going to be when I went online and bought a week of service for my card, the first thing that happened is that my card did not work on the bus for that initial ride. I was like oh ok (to the bus driver), well, how much is the fare to stay on this bus for now. He said if I could just show him the email from when I bought it the night before, that would be fine. He said that sometimes, the card has to be used at the train before it's used on the bus. I would have liked to have like to have known that before I boarded the bus. Something needs fixing there.

Of things that are right, I have never called customer service and not gotten a question answered quickly accurately. I have never felt in danger. I think what are supposed to be what are the new buses (don't really recall what the old ones looked like) are comfortable and the a/c worked quite well.

Overall, I'm pleased with MARTA, I just wish I had a less convoluted description of how to get from Point A to Point B.
I've had that same experience. It took a couple of times for it to happen before a driver told me it needs to be tapped at the train station first to load the rides, even though online it says it can be tapped at any train OR bus machine to load the rides. One driver tried to kick me off, and since I was going to work, I argued for a bit and he let me stay on. When I told him I had the confirmation email, he told me he wasn't allowed to look at it when he was in the drivers seat, and I needed to show him a paper receipt. I understand the "no phone while driving" rule, but what is the point of buying online if you have to print out a receipt when using the bus? If I was going to the train station, I'd buy my breezecard there rather than online. The online loading option is most convenient for using busses since there are no machines at bus stops. I called and complained to MARTA, but didn't really get any response.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post

There is not much MARTA can do about expanding outside the counties that pay the sales tax, it is restricted by GA law. It is more the fault of those counties, so potential suburban riders should be more upset at their local government.

There is a disclaimer when adding value online that it takes up to 24 hours to be available. The way around this is to visit a breezecard machine and check the balance there.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is not much MARTA can do about expanding outside the counties that pay the sales tax, it is restricted by GA law. It is more the fault of those counties, so potential suburban riders should be more upset at their local government.

There is a disclaimer when adding value online that it takes up to 24 hours to be available. The way around this is to visit a breezecard machine and check the balance there.
That doesn't matter. I've done it well in advance before, like days in advance, and it still has the same problem. The bus drivers said that's what happens, it just doesn't work on the busses. That's a big problem that MARTA needs to fix.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
That doesn't matter. I've done it well in advance before, like days in advance, and it still has the same problem. The bus drivers said that's what happens, it just doesn't work on the busses. That's a big problem that MARTA needs to fix.
Has anyone reported it to MARTA customer service, that would be the only way they would know? I had a similar issue at a station, the attendant told me about tapping on the BreezeCard Machine and it worked.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:53 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
Quote:

OK, I don't remember exactly what it said online, but I'm sure I was within the number of hours mentioned. I kinda don't think it was 24 hours, but I cannot argue that. I can say that if I had read that it there had been a possibility from what I read that the card would not have worked, I never would have used it until that time was up.

Alright, but here's the thing about visiting a Breezecard machine, my trip started on the bus. I used the bus to get to the train where is where I assume all the Breezecard "check your balance" machines are.

I am not trying to make major complaints about the system, but that kind of leads me back to one of the Website content conflict things. Perhaps, there is a place on the site that says it takes 24 hours, but that is not what I read. In addition, it should not take 24 hours. If they can charge it in real time, then the card can be updated in real time. I mean if I had charged it at a station, it would not have taken 24 hours; why should it online?

In the end though, it did not take 24 hours, it just didn't work on the bus for the first.trip.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Has anyone reported it to MARTA customer service, that would be the only way they would know? I had a similar issue at a station, the attendant told me about tapping on the BreezeCard Machine and it worked.
Called and complained. Customer service didn't know the answer and provided an email for somebody else. That person never responded, so I gave up. Now I just make sure that when I am coming from a train station and have 1 trip left, I load it at the train station for next time (the bus is always my initial trip, since it's a couple blocks from my house).

Old 06-05-2015, 01:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Kind of funny to see this considering someone got shot at the Five Points MARTA station today and died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta