Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 06:31 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times

Advertisements

does anyone have info on this riding school or others ITP or just OTP?
this location would be PERFECT for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 07:57 PM

401 posts, read 1,732,483 times
Well, I'm a hunter/ jumper gal so I can't stand the dressage folks. Dressage folks don't usually like hunter/ jumper people either so I guess that makes it even.

I'm not into dressage at all... I had to do it for a while in Pony Club and to me it's no fun. But if dressage is your thing - I have heard it's good.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:20 AM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Smile can't handle H/J anymore

When I first learned to ride it was hunter/jumper. I had a big gap in adulthood but now that I have MS, I've been working with a therapeutic group and have discovered dressage. I don't really need the thera. setting anymore, I'm doing really well. Its like some people prefer ballet and some prefer figure skating. They both take athleticism but in a different style. I'm getting too old to jump anyway. Me and Anne Romney who also has MS and is a champion dressage rider. I won't ever show but that's for other reasons. I still love horsies tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Well, I'm a hunter/ jumper gal so I can't stand the dressage folks. Dressage folks don't usually like hunter/ jumper people either so I guess that makes it even.

I'm not into dressage at all... I had to do it for a while in Pony Club and to me it's no fun. But if dressage is your thing - I have heard it's good.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,887 times
Default Highly Recommend Vogt

Actually, I ride at Vogt, and I have been for the past 1.5 years. The first time I ever took a lesson on a horse was at Vogt, and I highly recommend this facility. It isn't cheap. Private lessons are now $75 for 45 minutes and group lessons (which there is a long waiting list for) will run you $275/mo to ride twice a week; however, it is worth it.

Sheri Davis-Pruett is one of the trainers. I have never trusted/admired/learned from somebody as much as Sheri. She's great and meticulous, so you don't have to worry about being taught the wrong basics. She is tough, but very rewarding.

It doesn't really matter if you've never ridden dressage, or if you have been riding in another discipline. Sheri will begin with the basics, as the two styles are so different. Take a trip over there one evening--there are lessons up until 8 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays (8 p.m. being the Advanced class which consists of mostly adults) and other days lessons go until about 5:45.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,463 times
This is a barn I have very mixed feelings about. I am surprised to see such positive feedback. I rode there for over ten years, and when I left, I kicked myself for not leaving sooner. AVH is a great rider, sometimes a good teacher... but on other's horses I would see her be quite crewel, and with her clients downright rude. AVH is one of the most awful people I have ever met. Students would refer to themselves as her slaves; she never asked you to do something, you were told. Good luck getting anything back that you put in, as far as duties around the barn. The way she would argue (regularly) in-front of clients with her parents or sister was embarrassing. I won't even discuss her horrible nature towards Bill the stablehand, who loved the horses more than their owners. In my opinion, if you like to be tortured, you like tough love and you want to be put to work every time you step onto the property, ride here. Or, if you have a child that won't behave and they need discipline, Vogt is a good place. Otherwise, drive a little further to friendly horse people who will let you ride bareback, or get out of the ring and do what real horse people do. (all the horses are ring sour and get very little turnout)

Old 11-17-2008, 11:42 AM

96 posts, read 405,468 times
Default riding in Atlanta

Try Dana McDaniel - Horse Training. Located very close to Atlanta, caters to Atlanta riders who do not want to commute 45 minutes to ride and is also reasonably priced.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 PM

25 posts, read 77,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnC View Post
Try Dana McDaniel - Horse Training. Located very close to Atlanta, caters to Atlanta riders who do not want to commute 45 minutes to ride and is also reasonably priced.
Are there any other dressage barns nearby (I live in midtown). I went to Vogt over the weekend (unannounced - just drove up) and watched some kids during a group lesson. It seemed like an OK place - and the trainer seemed to be good with the kids - but I was hoping to find someplace with an indoor arena as I'd like to ride year round (and it was coooollllddd this weekend!)

Thanks

Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,089 times
vogts good for the basics. but unless you started out early there, (i was at another barn and then transfered) there is no hope to actually board or event from there. not much support from the trainers, and i see people stuck in a rut all the time, vogt only goes so far. but it is close.good for not serious horse back riders.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:12 AM

401 posts, read 1,732,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntertodressage View Post
vogts good for the basics. but unless you started out early there, (i was at another barn and then transfered) there is no hope to actually board or event from there. not much support from the trainers, and i see people stuck in a rut all the time, vogt only goes so far. but it is close.good for not serious horse back riders.
My take on the place exactly.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:03 AM

28 posts, read 120,154 times
We had one of our kids at Vogt for years. We got a lot out of it, but we're glad we're not there anymore.

The right kids thrive there. I'm proud of what mine learned, but ultimately it just wasn't for us.

Are you looking for riding lessons for you or for your kids? Either way, it's easy enough to visit. You wouldn't even have to introduce yourself; just park and watch what goes on in the barn and in the arena some afternoon. You'll pick up on the vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta