Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 AM

8 posts, read 12,422 times

Advertisements

Hi,

First, I know I posted Fayetteville county instead of Fayette County. I'm trying to fix that!

I know that may sound like a very open ended question, but I actually am looking for some very specific information. I know most American high schools have some issue with drugs and alcohol.

I'm moving there this summer, and I have a friend in the area (just moved there) who's been asking around for me. My children are in elementary school, but I'm looking ahead. I've gotten a good feel for how the schools compare academically. But what I hear from my friend is that McIntosh and Starrs Mill have serious problems with illegal drugs. So much so that they are discouraging people moving to the area from attending those schools.

If anyone has an opinion on this, I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Is Whitewater the better alternative? And why does no one seem to have an opinion on Fayetteville? Are McIntosh and Starrs Mill really becoming that dangerous?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:47 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
It's a high school. There are always "drug problems". There is no way to escape it.

I was raised in the area, they are all great schools. You can't do much better in the state of Georgia. Watch out for the Fayette County busy bodies. So many people around here just complain about everything because it isn't exactly how they remembered it 20 years ago. But in reality, it was just as bad or worse. It is pathetic.

I love Fayette County. But there is an inherent fear of black people in some of the citizens. Realize that many of the older folks that moved into the county moved here because they white flighted themselves out of Forrest Park, Morrow, College Park, etc.

These people skew negative and hold on to the ideas of white flight and really they are the cancer that screws things up. Fayette County has great bones; nice homes, big lots, very limited multi-family housing, and not many tract homes that inevitably plummet in value. You will hear from people all the time how terrible Fayetteville is getting but it is just fine, especially considering how close it is to a major metro. Fayette County will remain a great place to live.

These negative attitudes stem from racism and a rose colored memory of how things used to be. Realize that when you have these conversations with people. With that said, I love people here in Fayette County, despite these faults. They are generally very nice, just kinda stuck in old, outdated stereotypes.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:50 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
I would think that most any high school has some kind of drug problem in 2015.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:55 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,935 times
I graduated from Starr's Mill in 2002, I don't recall any drug issues there but McIntosh has always been a haven for pill heads. I don't know about the others

Old 05-06-2015, 12:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I would think that most any high school has some kind of drug problem in 2015.
2015, 2005, 1995, 1985, 1975.....

I would be shocked to find a high school in America in any "modern" era that didn't have it's fair share of drug use among students. Its what a lot of people do.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:20 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
Funny, McIntosh had the same reputation when I was in high school at Forest Park, and that was 20 plus years ago. We always supposed it was because McIntosh students had more "pocket money" than most of us had. Still, in those same two decades, they have held to the same high academic standard. Perhaps it was more of a perception than reality.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:10 PM

148 posts, read 232,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Funny, McIntosh had the same reputation when I was in high school at Forest Park, and that was 20 plus years ago. We always supposed it was because McIntosh students had more "pocket money" than most of us had. Still, in those same two decades, they have held to the same high academic standard. Perhaps it was more of a perception than reality.
+1. McIntosh had a great academic reputation in late 90s/early 2000s, but also had the reputation that the poster is referring to here. I guess nothing has changed in that regard, and probably no different than any other school with mostly middle to high upper middle class/wealthy students.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:16 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
OP, kids everywhere experiment with drugs....especially the kids from affluent neighborhoods.

Hopefully your child is not a follower

Old 05-06-2015, 03:23 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
2015, 2005, 1995, 1985, 1975.....

I would be shocked to find a high school in America in any "modern" era that didn't have it's fair share of drug use among students. Its what a lot of people do.
True, but it's much more widespread now than in past years. I know in the 80s it was pretty much limited to certain groups - the stoners - but the majority just drank a little. Now it's pretty socially acceptable to smoke weed in high school and many do much more than that.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:50 PM

145 posts, read 166,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viningsgt View Post
+1. McIntosh had a great academic reputation in late 90s/early 2000s, but also had the reputation that the poster is referring to here. I guess nothing has changed in that regard, and probably no different than any other school with mostly middle to high upper middle class/wealthy students.
+1 also. My mom taught for a year at McIntosh during that time, while my sister attended. I went to a private, catholic HS in Ft. Worth known for being alcoholics (keg parties and such). Just teach your kids right from wrong and you'll be ok. Can't protect them when they leave the nest, typically for college.

Dangerous? Hardly. More kids commute on golf carts than drive, or so it feels. More cops per capita with nothing better to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta