Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 04:45 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,731,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonadea View Post
Okay, I'm stupid. I just realized the house I'm interested in is actually Summerhill. (It's kind of where Summerhill, Grant Park and Peoplestown run into each other.) One good think about that is that it's zoned for Parkside. Is Summerhill considerably better than Peoplestown?
Yes, that is a good area. Parts of Peoplestown are more dicey than others, but the closer you get to Georgia Ave/Hill St the better. The success of Grant Park is spreading westward as the home prices rise, so the area is a bit better the closer to Grant Park. Like CQ said, crime doesn't stop at neighborhood boundaries, but your perception of safety based on the look and general feel of the area will probably be better closer to Grant Park and Summerhill. Parkside is a good school to be zoned to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:23 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,067,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I walk over to DH Stanton Park fairly often, and I've never had any problems. The park is actually REALLY nice. I live in Grant Park, but there are some beltline activities that go on in DH Stanton that I enjoy going to. Most often when I see people outside in their yards, on their porches, or walking on the sidewalks they say hi. It seems like a tightly knit neighborhood and not as scary as some people make it out to be. It's obvious they have some problems, and there is poverty in the area, but I don't think you'd be afraid on a daily basis. Proper crime prevention strategies I'm sure would go a long way.
Yeah it's not that bad...most "scary" areas aren't nearly as bad as the general perception of them.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,948,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda79 View Post
This may not help, but I recall looking at a really cute house over in Peoplestown this past Fall and I felt really uncomfortable there during the day. It was Friday, maybe around 4:00 or so, and I had to drive through what appeared to be some kind of miniature block party in order to turn around on a narrow street, and a bunch of guys starting yelling at me for no apparent reason (I don't know what they were saying--I had the windows up). It seemed like at least 3 houses on each street had people just hanging out in the streets and in their front yards in lawn chairs, drinking, listening to loud music, and I drove around just about everywhere in the area.

I called the realtor and told them I didn't need to see the home.

I'm sure others on here will say that was not a typical day, but I'm a curmudgeon and don't even want that kind of nonsense on a holiday weekend.
Did you fell uncomfortable because they were black? Would you have felt the same way if they were white or asian? They could work government jobs or manufacturing jobs be off on Fridays.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:37 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,798,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yeah it's not that bad...most "scary" areas aren't nearly as bad as the general perception of them.
That's true, but even when it's only 1/10th as bad as people's perception--you can overestimate your desire to deal with it on a daily basis.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:06 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,257,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Did you fell uncomfortable because they were black? Would you have felt the same way if they were white or asian? They could work government jobs or manufacturing jobs be off on Fridays.
I don't think that's fair CQ. If people are posting up in the street and yelling at people driving by, I wouldn't want to live near that crap either. It's simply rude.

I think I know exactly where the poster was too, some narrow streets near a lil corner store, and I've driven through it on random days. People didn't exactly seem friendly.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 AM

445 posts, read 518,252 times
Quote:
CQ, where did she say they were black? You must be racist.

Last edited by Dkeating; 06-05-2015 at 08:34 AM..

Old 06-05-2015, 08:30 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,067,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I don't think that's fair CQ. If people are posting up in the street and yelling at people driving by, I wouldn't want to live near that crap either. It's simply rude.

I think I know exactly where the poster was too, some narrow streets near a lil corner store, and I've driven through it on random days. People didn't exactly seem friendly.
Especially a woman driving alone into an area described like that...doesn't matter what color the folks are, it would be uncomfortable.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

Maybe they were trying to offer her help?

Old 06-05-2015, 09:03 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,390,698 times
Quote:
Having had white people next door to me that lived their entire social lives in their front yard (kiddie pool and everything) and were constantly out in the street, no matter what time of day I would have to agree that I wouldn't want to live on a street where that was the "culture" regardless of what color they are.

This isn't really the culture on my street, and they did have the cops called on them when they were getting overly rambunctious or there was too much traffic stopping by their house (not by me - but apparently others on the street). I'm just pleased they moved and now I have a quiet working couple next door.

Either way - I get the discomfort level.

Last edited by Tryska; 06-05-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-05-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Having had white people next door to me that lived their entire social lives in their front yard (kiddie pool and everything) and were constantly out in the street, no matter what time of, day I would have to agree that I wouldn't want to live on a street where that was the "culture" regardless of what color they are.

This isn't really the culture on my street, and they did have the cops called on them, when they were getting overly rambunctious or there was too much traffic stopping by their house (not by me - but apparently others on the street). I'm just pleased they moved and now I have a quiet working couple next door.

Either way - I get the discomfort level.
The only difference is this behavior would be called trashy, while the other behavior is called 'ghetto' or 'thug'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: