Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 06:49 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times

Advertisements

Charleston SC has little to no skyline to speak of, and it's a fantastic city, and far more dense than Atlanta. It's all about the street experience.

Washington DC doesn't have skyscrapers. Los Angeles only has a few for its large size.

Not to mention old European cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 07:05 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Remember most people who live in Midtown are empty nesters or Millennials without children so schools don't really matter and Midtown is hot because it's the most walkable urban neighborhood in Atlanta.
I honestly don't know the current demographics but it seems like there are still a lot of single family homes with families. One of ours lives in Midtown and when we over there recently there were kids all over the place.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I honestly don't know the current demographics but it seems like there are still a lot of single family homes with families. One of ours lives in Midtown and when we over there recently there were kids all over the place.
Yes, the Midtown Garden District

Old 01-19-2017, 10:40 AM

364 posts, read 418,335 times
I live in a high-rise in Midtown and there are two families on my floor alone with kids, and I live near the top of the building. It is feasible to live in a high-rise with children apparently.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I sure wish that the once-proposed symphony building had been constructed. Sigh...

Me too.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:33 PM

749 posts, read 887,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Dynamo X View Post
From a residential standpoint, the school ratings are not great. One would think otherwise based on that hot location. Why is that? I guess this is only a good place for businesses?
Not really sure where you're getting that info from. Could you share the source?

Midtown is zoned for Springdale Park Elementary and Inman Middle, both of which have great rankings and are Atlanta Public Schools. Grady doesn't score terribly high, but I've heard good things. Grady's rankings should only go up as more families move in/opt out of private school.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Charleston SC has little to no skyline to speak of, and it's a fantastic city, and far more dense than Atlanta. It's all about the street experience.

Washington DC doesn't have skyscrapers. Los Angeles only has a few for its large size.

Not to mention old European cities.
I wouldn't call Charleston SC "far more dense" than Atlanta...it's a tiny coastal charming town with a walkable downtown area, but that's it. Far more dense would be NYC, Chicago, Philly, Boston, SF...the big urban cities of the country. In fact, on a ppsm density scale, it's actually "far less" dense than Atlanta with only 137k people living in 109 square miles. Atlanta has 465k people living in 133 square miles.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:42 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanConquistador View Post
Midtown is zoned for Springdale Park Elementary and Inman Middle, both of which have great rankings and are Atlanta Public Schools.
Springdale Park and Inman are crackerjack. A lot of folks move there specifically because the schools are excellent.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I wouldn't call Charleston SC "far more dense" than Atlanta...it's a tiny coastal charming town with a walkable downtown area, but that's it. Far more dense would be NYC, Chicago, Philly, Boston, SF...the big urban cities of the country. In fact, on a ppsm density scale, it's actually "far less" dense than Atlanta with only 137k people living in 109 square miles. Atlanta has 465k people living in 133 square miles.
Well, all I know is, that entire peninsula which contains the large downtown area, looks and feels and operates like a real city. I've been to every city big and small and medium sized, and nothing is quite that urban at least in the southeast quadrant, in my view. Charleston is an urbanist's dream. Everything about its design is what a city should be. Thoroughly exploring it was the most amazing few days' experience for me. (And I must have walked at least 5+ miles every day while I was there. Without even trying.)

Atlanta is an amazing city and an amazing place. But if you could take every building in Atlanta and all of its population, and compact that down into an area of about 20 or 30 square miles... it would be one of the greatest cities in the entire world. Most beautiful, most charming, most visited, all that. It would be unreal.

Scale really makes all the difference. Most of Atlanta is unfortunately not at human scale. Even Midtown.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:52 PM

One thing Atlanta could actually realistically do that would help dramatically: narrow every vehicle lane on every street and road by 1 foot per lane, and add the difference to the width of the sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta