Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,012 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm considering taking a job in Covington and would have to move to the area in the near future. I wanted to see how practical it would be to do a reverse commute from O4W or somewhere similar along I20/402. Ideally I'd like to minimize my commute, while still living around a younger crowd (I'm 30) so I think it makes sense to be close to I20 if at all possible (the commute from anywhere above there seems to be crazy). If I don't opt to live outside Atlanta (to reduce my commute time), are there any good communities out closer to Covington that have some activity with a younger crowd?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:28 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
I wouldn't live anywhere east of Kirkwood along 20 all the way until Covington. It's suburban the entire way out but at least in Covington you're close to work. Young and close to Covington just don't go together at all. But you will be against traffic the whole way.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I wouldn't live anywhere east of Kirkwood along 20 all the way until Covington. It's suburban the entire way out but at least in Covington you're close to work. Young and close to Covington just don't go together at all. But you will be against traffic the whole way.
Yeah that was kinda my feeling and the reason that I asked. It seems it's either commute into Atlanta for things to do, or commute to work.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:19 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Long and dull, but you shouldn't have much traffic except maybe in the afternoons approaching I-285. It's up to 70mph past Wesley Chapel now so it's quicker than it used to be. But Conyers would also be an option if you wish to stay closer to Atlanta but have a shorter drive. Still 10 miles out, but that's a 9 minute sprint down I-20. Only problem with Conyers is it's just plain old suburbia, you have youth sports and chain stores and that's it.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Covington is a charming little southern town, AND it is adjacent to Oxford, Georgia where Emory University has its Junior College. I guess what I am saying is even with Emory at Oxford's small size, it is still not devoid of "a younger crowd".

Old 06-12-2015, 03:13 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Covington is a charming little southern town, AND it is adjacent to Oxford, Georgia where Emory University has its Junior College. I guess what I am saying is even with Emory at Oxford's small size, it is still not devoid of "a younger crowd".
I knew some people who went the Oxford route. It sounded like it really didn't add a college town vibe to Covington.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:10 AM

142 posts, read 168,279 times
Conyers & Covington are great places for families, but I would agree not necessarily the single crowd looking for nightlife, etc. One place in Covington you might check out though is the Porterdale Mill Lofts (Porterdale Mill Lofts - A New Kind of Neighborhood). If you'd rather stay in town, the reverse commute out I-20 is not that bad at all, unless of course there is an accident. But otherwise it is a straight shot. I'd also suggest Decatur. You could take Candler Road from there to hop on I-20.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:04 PM

163 posts, read 156,198 times
I had a coworker with the reverse commute from east ATL to south Rockdale and they said it was an easy commute. Conyers and Covington typical suburban area for families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta