Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 04:58 PM

125 posts, read 227,946 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Chattahoochee high has Accelerated Science program wherein u can do Bio H & Chemistry H for 6 mo each in freshman yr. Benefit is since ur done at freshman, your schedule gets opened to take any other science course in sophomore. I am highly confused and not able to decide whether we should go for it or not. Though they will have an extended half hour period , still it won't be equal to 2 years of study. I would be so much thankful if I can get guidance on this . Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 05:00 PM

My daughter wants to do robotics & debate team also which will be time consuming as well. Has taken AP US Govt this yr

Old 06-17-2015, 08:03 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
As long as you are disciplined and have set aside enough study time (there will not be much room for part time jobs or extra-curriculars)

Old 06-18-2015, 05:41 AM

550 posts, read 989,506 times
Well, I would say that depends on the kid. How much time does your daughter currently devote to studying? I assume she has As and high test scores in science? Does your daughter want to do the compacted sciences in one year? Is science what she is passionate about? This could make a lot of sense for some kids. But it will increase an already heavy work load and yes, debate is time consuming. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:01 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
My son did robotics. It's pretty much of a breeze class class so I would scratch that off of your concerns list err I you. If your daughter is diligent, this schedule will be just fine.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:11 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
I cannot think of any reason not to go for it as long as she's good in those subjects. Isn't the point of an accelerated program for it not to take as long to complete? It does not mean that less subject matter is addressed.

When you are good at something, taking an uber long time to cover it can be exhausting and bore you to death. It feels more stimulating to move at a pace that is at least fast enough to make it a challenge instead of sitting around twiddling your thumbs (or to bring the phrase to 2015 "Twittering") while waiting for others to catch up.

I think sometimes that far too much emphasis is placed on the number of hours needed for someone to understand a topic.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:02 AM

550 posts, read 989,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I cannot think of any reason not to go for it as long as she's good in those subjects. Isn't the point of an accelerated program for it not to take as long to complete? It does not mean that less subject matter is addressed.

When you are good at something, taking an uber long time to cover it can be exhausting and bore you to death. It feels more stimulating to move at a pace that is at least fast enough to make it a challenge instead of sitting around twiddling your thumbs (or to bring the phrase to 2015 "Twittering") while waiting for others to catch up.

I think sometimes that far too much emphasis is placed on the number of hours needed for someone to understand a topic.
I totally agree with this! If the kid is capable. But, even without this kind of compacting there is a lot of pressure on these kids. My understanding is robotics is not a class, but outside of school hours and a very large time suck.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:40 PM

deacongirl yes to all your qs.Robotics is not a class . They prepare very diligently to compete

Old 06-22-2015, 04:47 PM

deacongirl . She devotes a lot of time to studying

Old 06-22-2015, 05:53 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
What does the school say? What does sophomores who have actually gone through this say?
These two entities are the only ones likely to really have a sense of what this will be like for your daughter. Does she have any friends who have done this? I would ask them and/or their parents about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanhi View Post
Hello,
Chattahoochee high has Accelerated Science program wherein u can do Bio H & Chemistry H for 6 mo each in freshman yr. Benefit is since ur done at freshman, your schedule gets opened to take any other science course in sophomore. I am highly confused and not able to decide whether we should go for it or not. Though they will have an extended half hour period , still it won't be equal to 2 years of study. I would be so much thankful if I can get guidance on this . Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta