Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 20,871 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in NY and I'm planning on possibly moving to Atlanta for a few reasons.My main reasons for going, outside of feeling like I need a new environment and more living space, are entertainment based:

- I've acted in a few movies and commercials already and I'm curious to see if I can get bigger roles out there.

- I do music, both performing and producing.

- I'm a photographer/videographer; I've filmed numerous music videos for not only myself, but youtube personalities, local rappers, and known dancehall reggae artists. I've also done video work for Hot97/ThatsENuff.com, DJs, Massive B, concerts and events, and more. If I can expand on that down there and make a living off of video work, it would be truly ideal.

Now I wouldn't move out there with just a hope and a dream, my current situation is:

- I'm currently working as a high school teacher teaching digital recording and video production; with a salary of about 70k/annually.

- I live in a 2 bedroom apartment that in a house my mother owns, paying about $550-950 a month (depending on the con ed bill).

- I have a car I'm paying $640 a month on, gonna refinance in October for a lower payment.

- In my free time I still do video work, bringing in anywhere from $300 to $1,500 extra a month.

- My monthly bills including 2 loans, car insurance, and phone bill totals to $380.

It would be nice to find the same kind of teaching position out there but I know those subjects are not carried in every school. I also have a background in IT, being A+ certified and working in IT for a few years. I also have a big background in being a service technician for camera rental houses. I've serviced, prepped, and demonstrated cameras. Created cables and repaired other accessories. I did a search and saw there's like 8 or more camera rental houses in ATL, I'm just not sure what their pay scale would look like.

My question is, based on what you see here, if I'm unable to make a good living off of video work down there what are the odds that I could find a job paying at least 50k and up? Housing wise, i'm looking for a 3 bed room or a big 2 bedroom home relatively cheap, maybe like $600-900 a month with utilities. And also if anyone has any tips regarding my situation/motives for going down it would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 09:01 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,620 times
I have a home in both NYC and ATL. You should not have a problem, especially with the IT background. Just gotta grind. You should be used to that.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:19 PM

Hopefully so. I'm planning to save up 4-5 months rent so I can explore the entertainment opportunities when I go down there , then see where things lead me from there.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:56 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
2-3 bedroom home at 900 monthly rent max including utilities

That is not going to be easy to find. Most rentals that I see start at 1200 and that does not include utilities

Old 06-23-2015, 01:07 AM

Saw some houses for 600-700 without utilities, how much the monthly total will be i will depend on the utilities I guess. Not sure what to expect out there in terms of that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta