Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 03:29 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
It's also a paid park with an etiquette code. It's really more of a gardens anyways.
How does that make a difference vis a vis the point I'm making?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 03:38 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Here's an example of a quarry converted to park space many decades ago, unbarricaded with no collateral damage whatsoever.

Butchart Gardens: once a limestone quarry, today one of the most beautiful gardens in Canada - Walls with Stories

Apparently the Canadians don't share our hysteria over such matters.
Lake Clara Mera in Piedmont Park doesn't have a barricade around it. Now, it is also not a converted quarry, but I fail to see what difference that distinction makes. I think you're right - someone may be talking with too many lawyers.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:44 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Alright, well guess we'll wait then and see what kind of "barrier" they do. But having any kind of fence or anything visually ugly ruining that one of a kind view, in the name of liability for stupid people or whatever, would be so completely ridiculously asinine.

A few occasional deaths is worth having a beautiful vista. Sometimes we must make blood sacrifices for the good of Atlanta.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Alright, well guess we'll wait then and see what kind of "barrier" they do. But having any kind of fence or anything visually ugly ruining that one of a kind view, in the name of liability for stupid people or whatever, would be so completely ridiculously asinine.

A few occasional deaths is worth having a beautiful vista. Sometimes we must make blood sacrifices for the good of Atlanta.
LOL well said. Protecting the stupid from themselves can become a full-time job.
From the images posted on this thread, I only saw an observation deck with a railing; the rest of the waterfront was unobstructed.

Old 01-02-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Considering this is very close to "the hood" I don't think parking will be much of a deterrent

I do wonder how much crime this park will "attract". It's so huge and it seems like it will be easy to be alone, which is awesome, but not exactly the safest scenario. Considering how close this is to ground zero for the heroin trade in the SE, I can see a lot of folks attempting to take up residence in the park too.

By no means am I bringing this up as an argument against the park, we need to invest more and more in the westside. But there will be realities to building this in a not so great area. I don't think it is fair to write this off like it will be the same experience as Piedmont Park
Considering the investment being made in the area, methinks this too shall pass. Forty years ago, Piedmont Park and environs weren't so hot, either.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:39 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
I’m wondering if the jail will be visible. Kind of an eye sore if it is.
I doubt you'll be able to see much from the park. All it takes is one line of trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused Husbandad View Post
This city is really getting its act together. This rocks!! Make parking a premium to keep the hood out.
Then you'll just keep everyone out. It's not exactly a walkable area. There's a MARTA station a half mile from the southern border, a single bus line on the northern side, and the Beltline will come around in about 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Lake Clara Mera in Piedmont Park doesn't have a barricade around it. Now, it is also not a converted quarry, but I fail to see what difference that distinction makes.
The difference is that one starts at 0 feet deep and slowly gets deeper, while the other is a direct drop off to deeeeeeeep.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The difference is that one starts at 0 feet deep and slowly gets deeper, while the other is a direct drop off to deeeeeeeep.
Again, I fail to see what difference this would make to anyone not jumping in with concrete overshoes.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:36 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
It's also a paid park with an etiquette code. It's really more of a gardens anyways.
What exactly is your objection with the plan?

Old 01-03-2018, 06:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Sorry but a pretty view is not worth the death of a person.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Sorry but a pretty view is not worth the death of a person.
Even if we infer that said person had no culpability in their own death whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta