Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 918 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I'll be starting my Master's at Emory this coming August, and I'm lost looking for housing.

I'm 22, and an international student on a government scholarship. Ideally, I don't want to spend more than 600 on rent, and I'm really keen on not having roommates. I've been living with roommates for the past 6 years, and, to be honest, I'm kind of fed up with that sort of living situation.

I'm openly gay, and I'd really like a place where I can meet other people my age and of similar interests.

I most likely will have a car, but, ideally, I'd like a place that MARTA also reaches. A longish commute (30-45 mins) wouldn't be too much of a trouble, as long as the place is worth it.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks

EDIT: Oh, and if it's not too much to ask, a place with a view of the Atlanta skyline would be great. I'm a sucker for skylines :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 07:36 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,164,475 times
You've probably already done this search but if there is a specific place shown that you have questions about, maybe we can offer a yay or nay about it.

Good luck, sir!

Old 06-29-2015, 07:57 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,790,423 times
https://offcampushousing.emory.edu

Old 06-29-2015, 08:06 PM

364 posts, read 418,779 times
Midtown Atlanta is gay central, anywhere ITP generally is gay friendly at least. There are new student housing developments for GA Tech in midtown (I assume a student of any university would be able to rent there though), I don't know the prices (but they are setup so you pay one flat rent fee and all utilities included). Only problem is that both the developments are 100% leased, they also are a block from the Midtown Marta station. Anything else in Midtown is really expensive, near the top of the Atlanta rental market.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,039,041 times
$600 on rent? The only way to do that is with roommates, sorry.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:07 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,401,094 times
Hmmmmm, on $600 per month with no roommate, if you wanna see the Atlanta skyline you'll need binoculars to do it. In town living = VERY EXPENSIVE! I would take Georgia Peanuts advice; otherwise, you're looking at the 'burbs with a definite commute.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:34 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,428,276 times
^ Maybe you guys missed where he said a 45 min commute was ok?

600 is still not very much but you could do it in a less than stellar area a bit farther out at a cheaper complex.

Definitely not in town as stated.

But yeah, a view of the skyline is definitely not in the cards at that price. You would have to probably double your budget for a realistic chance at that without roommates.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,955,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

600 is still not very much but you could do it in a less than stellar area a bit farther out at a cheaper complex.

But yeah, a view of the skyline is definitely not in the cards at that price. You would have to probably double your budget for a realistic chance at that without roommates.
$600 a month with no roommate in a safe area with a skyline view is a very tall order.

Vinings with a roommate in a 2/2 is definitely doable, but I can't think of anywhere else safe solo in a complex at that price. There are countless private places, but they are hard to find online. Try craigslist (be careful) and the University itself for assistance, as others have linked to.

Good luck, juanluisv.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:26 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,039,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

That doesn't mean much. A 45 minute commute to Emory only puts him as far north as Marietta, Alpharetta, or Duluth.

He's not going to live alone for $600/month in any of those towns.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:29 AM

120 posts, read 119,406 times
Craigslist is possible. I see many basement apartments in people's homes around Emory that might work in that price range (or on the off campus housing finder as mentioned). it is possible. Also there are some tiny efficiency apartments near Emory that at least (used to) rent for sub 500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta