Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 09:43 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times

Advertisements

How does everyone feel about the license plate readers all over the city of Norcross?

I don't have a problem with them on police cars but I dislike the idea of scanning every car coming through their jurisdiction.

Any other cities in N. GA using a system like Norcross?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 10:15 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
I think if they start installing them on personal property without the property owner's permission, that'll be a problem. Otherwise, I'd be more concerned about what opponents are trying to hide and why opponents don't do what they need to do in private in the privacy of their own homes. Maybe that'll change someday in the far future, but the self-motivated behavior of miscreants in society is a far greater concern than making note of what people do in public.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:21 AM

651 posts, read 1,562,177 times

just more money in tickets..

Old 07-08-2015, 10:40 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
I don't like it.

Especially because where does all the license plate data go? I'm sure it goes into a central database somewhere, making it possible for authorities, or hackers, to track a history of your whereabouts.

In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't matter because your cell phone is already doing that with much more accuracy. But why add another layer to Big Brother's Big Data?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Are worried big brother is watching because they can already track you by your cell phone. Cobb County uses technology called Blue Toad that tracks bluetooth signals of cell phones passing by responders to get live data about traffic speeds.
https://bluetoad.trafficcast.com/map...creen=1&auto=2

Old 07-08-2015, 04:26 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,363,504 times
Pretty soon we won't be able to take a sh__ without it being watched.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,024 times
The technology could be a great tool, but my comfort depends on how long they retain the data and how it's shared. Seeing how other companies in other sectors work, it's likely they are storing the data in the device manufacture's servers. I seriously doubt they will delete it. It is almost certainly is shared with and recorded by the data vacuum that is the NSA. Ugh

It sucks because this can be such a useful tool. But the a-wholes at the NSA have an addiction which will always abuse technology like this.

I swear soon enough the relationship with our government will be something like standing at the pearly gates while St. Peter reads over all your sins...

Old 07-09-2015, 05:45 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
How does everyone feel about the license plate readers all over the city of Norcross?

I don't have a problem with them on police cars but I dislike the idea of scanning every car coming through their jurisdiction.

Any other cities in N. GA using a system like Norcross?
Norcross is hardly north Georgia. I live in Norcross, and I see them regularly on cars even though not all of their cars have them.

I'm not thrilled about them, but the real question is what the data is being used for. I agree that the location data it gathers shouldn't be accessible without a warrant.

However, all the po-po has to do to figure out where I live and work is to pull my DMV and state income tax data.

Also, a warrant will get them all of my local usage details and location history from the GPS data my smart phone uploads to Google every couple of minutes.

Its tough to be anonymous and live a life of convenience in this age.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:26 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Norcross is hardly north Georgia.
Isn't anything north of Macon "north Georgia"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: