Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 3,091 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the DC metro area for close to 8 years. At this time, I'm definitely interested in a change.

Four years ago, I worked on a short-term business related project at my organization's Atlanta Regional Office. Needless to say, I really enjoyed the experience. I've been with the same employer and intend to stay with my current employer (note that I work from home primarily and go into the office once (or twice) a month). My employer has regional offices all over the country. Therefore, I can relocate to Atlanta and simply go into the Atlanta regional office once a month, as approved by my division director.

I wanted to relocate because I love the topography and I'd like to purchase property. I'm fortunate to make a very good salary. I can only imagine the difference, in terms of the quality of life and increased buying potential if I moved to Atlanta. Also, I travel quarterly for work (out of state), therefore, I know that the international airport would be an added plus (given the fact that there are many direct flights out of Atlanta).

Given all of the bonuses of relocating to Atlanta, you may ask, what is my hesitation? Well, my primary hesitation is my sister. She currently resides in Atlanta (and she absolutely hates it). My sister has sporadic employment and hasn't been able to solidify herself as a professional. The same is true for her husband. As a result of her financial/employment problems, she was hoping to relocate to the DC metro area and start anew (while living with me). I however do not want to remain in the DC metro area. Although I've done well for myself, I've told her that the taxes and cost of living is very high (even for someone like myself who makes a low six figure salary). My sister is not very pleased with the idea of me moving forward with my plans to relocate to Atlanta. She constantly mentions the crime rate, and the general lack of customer service in the South.

My sister and I are very close, therefore I feel bad about possibly moving forward with my plans (knowing that she is trying desperately to leave). Given the circumstances, what would you do??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 06:55 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,606 times
Don't feel bad, people can experience the same scenario very differently.

Not everyone likes it here, but since you do, that's really all that matters.

By coming here, your positive experiences may change hers, fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2015, 07:14 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,787,954 times
One needs these two things in order to love Atlanta or any other places....

- Good job (or money)
- A nice place to stay

As long as you have these two things you will be happy.

Basically your sister is a hater. She hasn't succeeded in Atlanta and she wants everyone to hate Atlanta. We have one particular lonely troll on here that does the same on here. Another thing you are grown. You do not need your sisters approval to move anywhere. I say move. You would love it here. Plenty of festivals, music festivals, restaurants, cheaper COL, our grocery bags are free, less taxes, better nightlife, etc are here. Try to get here soon because it's so much of stuff going on. The period from Labor day to the second week in Oct we will have one huge concert or music festival that will bring in between 20,000 - 70,000 people daily each weekend. The moral of the story is your sister is grown. She is free to move where she needs to move and you can do the same. She is grown and isn't a little baby. Tell her to stop being a hater, control her life and move if she has to on her on and stop dragging you down with her

Last edited by afdinatl; 07-09-2015 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
One needs these two things in order to love Atlanta or any other places....

- Good job (or money)
- A nice place to stay

As long as you have these two things you will be happy.

Basically your sister is a hater. She hasn't succeeded in Atlanta and she wants everyone to hate Atlanta. We have one particular lonely troll on here that does the same on here. Another thing you are grown. You do not need your sisters approval to move anywhere. I say move. You would love it here. Plenty of festivals, music festivals, restaurants, cheaper COL, our grocery bags are free, less taxes, better nightlife, etc are here. Try to get here soon because it's so much of stuff going on. The period from Labor day to the 2 week in Oct we will have one huge concert or music festival that will bring in between 20,000 - 70,000 people each day during each weekend. The moral of the story is your sister is grown. She is free to move where she needs to move and you can do the same. She is grown and isn't a little baby. Tell her to stop being a hater, control her life and move if she has to on her on and stop dragging you down with her
I agree, but I wouldn't exactly state that she is a hater. My sister relocated to Atlanta to be w/ her husband. Her husband had gainful employment but lost his job 2 years ago, and hasn't really found another gig that pays significantly above minimum wage. Their household income is very tight, and as a result, she is looking for a region with greater employment opportunities. I'm very sensitive to her issues, because I know that financially they are really struggling.

It may sound a little selfish, but at this stage in my life, I need to do what is best for me. I'm tired of the higher cost of living in the DC metro area. I do believe you get a lot, but since it's not a requirement that I remain here (due to my telework schedule), I'm looking to transition further South.

I lived in Midtown previously and really enjoyed my time in Atlanta. Again, I just feel slightly bad about moving forward with my plans, when my sister is trying to relocate out.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,014,275 times
You need to do what best for you, and your family.

Odds are if your sister and her DH moved to DC, they would be in the same boat, if not worse, as they both would need work. And i seriously don't think you want them living free in your basement for the rest of your/her life.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,787,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_2016 View Post
I agree, but I wouldn't exactly state that she is a hater. My sister relocated to Atlanta to be w/ her husband. Her husband had gainful employment but lost his job 2 years ago, and hasn't really found another gig that pays significantly above minimum wage. Their household income is very tight, and as a result, she is looking for a region with greater employment opportunities. I'm very sensitive to her issues, because I know that financially they are really struggling.

It may sound a little selfish, but at this stage in my life, I need to do what is best for me. I'm tired of the higher cost of living in the DC metro area. I do believe you get a lot, but since it's not a requirement that I remain here (due to my telework schedule), I'm looking to transition further South.

I lived in Midtown previously and really enjoyed my time in Atlanta. Again, I just feel slightly bad about moving forward with my plans, when my sister is trying to relocate out.
Cool. Tell her to try TX instead since the COL is similar and they have more jobs. I wouldn't move to DC broke unless she has a T'S clearance or is a lawyer etc.

Remember you only live once. While you are here on earth you have to make yourself happy and not anyone else. Do what's makes you happy. If she really loves you she would support your decision. She needs to worry more about her family instead of you. I said she a hater because she is what a call a dream killer. She wants to kill your dream. Her dream should be for you to be happy. Hell if my sister wanted to move to Antarctica I would support her because it would make her happy

Old 07-09-2015, 07:57 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
...... I wouldn't move to DC broke unless she has a T'S clearance or is a lawyer etc.
I've got a TS/SCI with poly and you can't FORCE me to move to DC.... lol

Old 07-09-2015, 07:57 AM

696 posts, read 1,302,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_2016 View Post

BINGO!! You just answered your own question and solved your dilemma. It is one thing to care about your family or help them when in need; it is another thing to jeopardize personal, long-term life goals for people who really have not done a good job of getting their lives together (i.e. your sister). Something for you (and possibly your sister) to think about – if she has not been able to succeed in Atlanta with its cheaper cost of living and many opportunities, how is she going to compete in DC with its extremely high cost of living and extremely competitive Northern lifestyle/stressful life? Looks like she is getting ready to make the next big mistake in her life?

To give you some additional perspective, I am the youngest member of a really large family and like you I have a very long history of making extremely good life decisions. The few mistakes I made here and there I have been able to snap out of and get back on track. I occasionally help some of my siblings with good advice, financial help etc. when they need but also know when to separate/isolate myself and take care of my priorities and not wrap myself in their problems and trust me they have many!

If you feel moving to Atlanta is the right decision for you at this point of your life, then do it. You can still help your sister with moral support and financially if necessary but in the long run it is up to her to get her life back in track regardless of where she chooses to live.

By the way, I was in a similar position last Summer as you are in now – I was living in Richmond, VA but wanted to move to Atlanta because I liked the city, so I transferred within my existing company with a promotion in job grade. Best decision ever. Now I live happily in Midtown (bought my own condo), walk to work and enjoy all that Atlanta and the surrounding areas have to offer in my free time.

Best wishes to you with your decision, whatever it may be !

Old 07-09-2015, 08:08 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,928 times
I'd go ahead with the move. Whether you want to help your sister is a separate matter/concern which you should not conflate with your desire to live in a new place.

Yes, the job market in Atlanta is definitely tougher than in D.C.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:20 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,384,943 times
Why not just swap houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta