Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Currently live in Snellville, concerned about race relations in Atlanta, racially mixed family, considering moving to more diverse area up north

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan0314 View Post

Realtors are not "walking away from the politically correct robotic line", they CANNOT discuss these issues due to the Fair Housing Act. If they do they can lose their license!

Agent Duties - What are Real Estate Agent Duties to Clients? - What Agents Can and Cannot Do

Expectations for Neighborhoods Populated by Protected Classes
"It comes as a shock to many people when they learn that a real estate agent absolutely cannot address some requests because it is against the law. For example, if a newly married Jewish couple asks a real estate agent to find them a home close to a synagogue in an "adults only" community, the agent can't accommodate that request. Nor can the agent take into consideration the request to be located near any specific church. The agent can't so much as advertise that her listing is around the corner from a parish.

An agent cannot answer questions about the ethnic make-up of a neighborhood. For example, buyers should not expect an agent to show homes in neighborhoods comprised of primarily Latinos, African-Americans, American Indians or any other ethnicity or race. If a buyer was adamant and said, "Tony said I need to buy in an Italian neighborhood or else," the agent must refuse, regardless."
Welcome to the world of political correctness. I can see the trouble with a realtor interpreting the ethnic makeup of a neighborhood and steering people toward or away from a certain area. That steps on a fine line. What I absolutely cannot understand is why a realtor can't take people to see a house that's near a church or synagogue, if the people ask to see houses near to one. Why is that any different than showing them a house near a park or a shopping center. Someone please explain that one to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Atlantagreg30127:

I read this forum because I am fairly new to Atlanta and I usually find your answers very informative but I must say, this time you are wrong!

Realtors are not "walking away from the politically correct robotic line", they CANNOT discuss these issues due to the Fair Housing Act. If they do they can lose their license!

An agent cannot answer questions about the ethnic make-up of a neighborhood. For example, buyers should not expect an agent to show homes in neighborhoods comprised of primarily Latinos, African-Americans, American Indians or any other ethnicity or race. If a buyer was adamant and said, "Tony said I need to buy in an Italian neighborhood or else," the agent must refuse, regardless."
I'm aware of the laws (I know two realtors). I'm just saying that the laws themselves are political correctness in a stereotypically written form, and that most realtors walk the line to fall perfectly within it. However, SOME, do not.

Chances are 9 out of 10 that if you approach a realtor who you do not know or who has not been referred to you, yes, they're going to follow that PC book to the line. But try to find one that is "so-and-sos sister" or a relative, or a friend of a friend, who will tell you like it is (and if they know you're not a "baiter" who might report them, they'll tell you exactly what you need to know).

Laws are fine, but personally I think if a person specifically asks for an all Jewish or all black or all white or a mixed neighborhood for that matter, then a realtor should be allowed to give them that info. Luckily, if you find the right person, they will. I don't blame realtors for not wanting to break laws and get in trouble. I'm just saying relocation is a life changing move - you should get what you want, and if it involves having to dig deep holes to find someone who will be honest with you point-blank, then keep digging.

If I asked someone for a specific neighborhood climate and they told me to, "walk down the street and see who smiles back at you", I'd smile at them... as I walked out of their door to do business with someone else. That tells you nothing about a neighborhood - especially in the South where people will smile in your face and as soon as you're out of range will look at the person next to them and go, "Oh-my-gawd, I hope THEY aren't moving here..."

Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 PM

5 posts, read 29,583 times
You know AtlantaGreg you are so right. I agree with you 100%. Like I said I did meet only one person who did tell me point blank that as soon as a place gets a little to colored people want to sell. She also told me that a lot of people are moving out of Gwinnett county and going to Forsyth, Oconee etc. I think u r right, if people would like to live in an all black, all white, all jewish, all christian etc., then they should at least be given the option to choose. Some people are prejudice, black or white, it's a reality and I accept that. I just want my children to live in a community with people from all walks of life, so that they can be culturally diverse and learn how to get along with people of all races. We had that where I am coming from and I would love for them to have that again. I'm not saying that NY isn't segregated because it is. There is the Italian areas, the caribbean areas, the jewish areas, the I make over 500K a year areas. So I know that it's everywhere, the difference is,there is less of a sprawl issue and if you work, maintain your property and are a good neighbor, no one cares what color you are...just as long as you don't bring their property value down. I just want them to grow up with their friends and form life long bonds. Parents teach children prejudice and it's sad that this still goes on...I guess 40 years ago I wouldn't be having this discussion so things are at least moving forward as slow as the process is. Thanks again, everyone for your input.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:44 AM

483 posts, read 2,093,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Welcome to the world of political correctness. I can see the trouble with a realtor interpreting the ethnic makeup of a neighborhood and steering people toward or away from a certain area. That steps on a fine line. What I absolutely cannot understand is why a realtor can't take people to see a house that's near a church or synagogue, if the people ask to see houses near to one. Why is that any different than showing them a house near a park or a shopping center. Someone please explain that one to me.
Likewise, if it is wrong to help someone find an all black or all white area, it should be equally evil to ask for or help someone find a 'diverse' area. Isn't that just another 'racial' preference? And a rather short-sighted one at that, since we all know that there are very few people who aren't at least a bit 'mixed' already.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 AM

78 posts, read 184,616 times
Default Cime Stats

That information was amazing for the crime statistics in MN! So where can you get crime information for Gwinnett or a particular city? I tried "googling" a few things and couldn't even find a police blotter (I was looking for Lawrenceville's).

Old 01-25-2008, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 10,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaMom View Post
That information was amazing for the crime statistics in MN! So where can you get crime information for Gwinnett or a particular city? I tried "googling" a few things and couldn't even find a police blotter (I was looking for Lawrenceville's).
Check out: ScanGwinnett: Live Gwinnett County Police and Fire Radio

Old 01-25-2008, 07:46 PM

26 posts, read 112,312 times
Can anyone comment, sensitively and intelligently, on what considerations might face a white/asian family considering a potential relocation to Atlanta? We're currently overseas, in a diverse, cosmopolitan, middle-to-upper-income, inner-city neighborhood, with top-rank public schools. All of those characteristics are attractive to us.

We just want to duplicate them, to the extent possible, but this thread makes doing so, or even discussing how close we can come to achieving it, appear to be a minefield in Atlanta. There are other possible US cities to discuss with my company, but Atlanta is the most convenient from a business perspective.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist View Post
Can anyone comment, sensitively and intelligently, on what considerations might face a white/asian family considering a potential relocation to Atlanta? We're currently overseas, in a diverse, cosmopolitan, middle-to-upper-income, inner-city neighborhood, with top-rank public schools. All of those characteristics are attractive to us.

We just want to duplicate them, to the extent possible, but this thread makes doing so, or even discussing how close we can come to achieving it, appear to be a minefield in Atlanta. There are other possible US cities to discuss with my company, but Atlanta is the most convenient from a business perspective.
You'll find that white/asian couples and families are pretty much a non-issue in the immediate metro area at least. Any tensions, raised eyebrows, or paranoia are going to be aimed at black/white couples, and perhaps on a smaller scale, Middle Eastern paranoia, or perhaps toward Hispanic people moving into a house that dare I phrase it this way, "give the appearance of being here illegally".

There is a growing number of mixed/asian families in the area, as well as families who adopt asian children, etc etc., and seriously, no one bats an eye at it. The tension problems in Atlanta are again for the most part a "black and white thing".

Old 01-27-2008, 11:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Strangely enough, Cobb County has something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta