Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
MARTA is not being given the funds to grow.

That is the problem. And South Dekalb where I'm at has been denied a new rail station or two for a long time now.

South Dekalb was supposed to be given funds for a new rail station back when Roy was in. But when he was deep-sixed at the polls...so too, went our rail station.

That, amongst other items, are the crux of the issue.
That's part of the problem with rebranding. MARTA is RIGHT NOW fighting for a solid funding source for bonds. They are as close as they've ever been (that I can think of) to actually getting the required funding for expansions.

That's five new HRT stations in South-East DeKalb, and nine new LRT stations in Mid-West DeKalb.

When MARTA is as close as they are, with such renewed faith in their name as we've seen, any attempt at conglomeration or rebranding would, in my mind, throw a huge wrench into ANY plans for the future. Anything going on now, whether it be expansions, station upgrades, bus service rerouting, train replacements, etc. , would be stalled until the dust settled.

Depending on who ended up in control at the end of it all would determine what the long-term held for the new / rebranded agency. If Keith is still in charge, he's lost a few years of oversight for growth. If it's a new agency, the expansion priorities will most likely change, and render the current studies / work outdated soon after.

All for what, the possibility of maybe sorta winning people who never liked the agency to begin with? I much rather let the agency's actions speak for it instead of its name. If the people who don't support MARTA now can't see how it'd different from past years, then I hardly think they'll suddenly support it with a new name and paint scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 02:43 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
I do not understand this thought that for the entire metro counties to be joined under 1 transit agency, it either has to be a new agency or renamed MARTA. Do they forget that MARTA is a state agency, originally setup to provide transit to the 5 core Atlanta counties? There is no need for a new agency or GRTA to take over, because MARTA was setup from the beginning to provide transit to all the counties. If Cobb or Gwinnett does not want to pay the sales tax to be part of MARTA, then let they sit in congestion and pay for half-a**ed transit from their general funds.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
That's part of the problem with rebranding. MARTA is RIGHT NOW fighting for a solid funding source for bonds. They are as close as they've ever been (that I can think of) to actually getting the required funding for expansions.

That's five new HRT stations in South-East DeKalb, and nine new LRT stations in Mid-West DeKalb..
You are going to have to cite the sources on that one.

Until I see a bill passed by the Georgia Senate and House and signed by the Governor throwing their full support behind MARTA, I ain't budging from my position.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:00 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Do they forget that MARTA is a state agency, originally setup to provide transit to the 5 core Atlanta counties?
Yes.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:04 PM

150 posts, read 152,323 times
Why not just call it the "Metro" like most places in the world do. Its pretty universal and well-understood.

Or ATL Metro, ATL MTR, or just leave it alone as Marta.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselah25 View Post
Why not just call it the "Metro" like most places in the world do. Its pretty universal and well-understood.

Or ATL Metro, ATL MTR, or just leave it alone as Marta.
This. Leave it the name Atlantans have known it as for 35 years.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:35 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
ATL sounds better, but who cares about the name.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 PM

150 posts, read 152,323 times
marta is pretty catchy in itself.. I think if they 're branded' themselves, and to give off a new identity that could help (different color schemes, logo, intercom announcements on trains and buses).. It seems like they are this in some regards, but lacking in others.

Like some other posters have said, an 'all-in' push may be better and more advantageous than incremental over the "long" haul. Take China for instance, when they build infrastructure, they complete the whole thing on the front end, 'hoping' and 'knowing' residents and commuters will use it, because its there for the taking. From there, whereever populations and business centers shift, they add on. This may not be a good approach from a monetary / assets / debt standpoint, but like a Kevin Fostner movie once said, "if you build it, they will come"

Old 07-27-2015, 08:14 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselah25 View Post
Take China for instance, when they build infrastructure, they complete the whole thing on the front end, 'hoping' and 'knowing' residents and commuters will use it, because its there for the taking. From there, whereever populations and business centers shift, they add on. This may not be a good approach from a monetary / assets / debt standpoint, but like a Kevin Fostner movie once said, "if you build it, they will come"
The Chinese do not mess around.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
[quote=cqholt;40582646]I do not understand this thought that for the entire metro counties to be joined under 1 transit agency, it either has to be a new agency or renamed MARTA. Do they forget that MARTA is a state agency, originally setup to provide transit to the 5 core Atlanta counties? There is no need for a new agency or GRTA to take over, because MARTA was setup from the beginning to provide transit to all the counties. If Cobb or Gwinnett does not want to pay the sales tax to be part of MARTA, then let they sit in congestion and pay for half-a**ed transit from their general funds.[/quote]

Read this column from the AJC (Cobb’s rapid transit bust | Kyle Wingfield). It is spot on. Cobb leaders are a bunch of morons! Only in Cobb and Gwinnett may follow (Shaking my head in disbelief).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta