Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I've been in that office before and it is envious. It would be nice to catch a 20 minute nap at lunch... Living Walls did a lot of MailChimp's walls, totally awesome
One of my favorite things about MailChimp's artwork is that you very quickly realize that you can see more of it for free, in public, in neighborhoods in the city. You can see a piece by Trek Matthews in Cabbagetown, Agostino Iacurci in Reynoldstown, or Swampy in Inman Park. As great as their artwork is, it's just like a miniaturized version of the amazing murals all of us get to enjoy every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 02:16 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,318,373 times
We visited PCM this weekend. (Yes, contrary to the opinions of some, many of us who live in Cobb are actually interested in and more than willing to visit the center of Atlanta itself.)

The structure is fantastic, and I am pleased to see that it has been saved rather than greeted with the wrecking ball. The only time I had ever visited the inside of this building before Saturday was years ago, when a friend's car was towed by APD and I drove him to the substation in City Hall East. The building was a total mess then, and it's amazing what they were able to do to bring it back as a useful and aesthetically pleasing structure. It reminded both me and my wife of the Ferry Building in San Francisco, and that's a very good thing.

It's a shame that the food hall isn't really up and running yet. It might end up being great but in all truth, it's too soon to say. We did enjoy some gelato from Honeysuckle but honestly have had better elsewhere.

We enjoyed going through the Williams-Sonoma and Anthropologie stores, but have a couple of each of those closer to us so we won't be going to PCM just for these. The Frye shop was interesting - hadn't been in one before - but I prefer Allen-Edmonds shoes. The hat boutique is a cool idea but it's such a niche market that I can't see them lasting too long.

I chuckled when someone else in this thread mentioned liking the smell of the place. What smell I did notice on the inside was pleasant enough, or at least inoffensive. However, we followed the stairs up to the large open area in the back that leads to the Beltline, and we found a pervasive and very unpleasant smell of cooking oil - fast food style grease smells, really - there. I suppose at least one of the food establishments has their exhaust fans blowing into this courtyard rather than up through the roof. My wife and I remarked to each other that we would be pretty annoyed if we were paying some pretty serious rent for the apartments in this place only to put up with that cooking oil smell everywhere, particularly if you wanted to open your windows. But to each his own, I suppose ...

Overall, this is a pretty interesting place and an asset to the area. Too soon to tell if it will qualify as a true destination - we need to see what a fully open food hall brings to make that determination - but if you're in the area it's certainly worth checking out from time to time.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:27 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,903,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
We visited PCM this weekend. (Yes, contrary to the opinions of some, many of us who live in Cobb are actually interested in and more than willing to visit the center of Atlanta itself.)

The structure is fantastic, and I am pleased to see that it has been saved rather than greeted with the wrecking ball. The only time I had ever visited the inside of this building before Saturday was years ago, when a friend's car was towed by APD and I drove him to the substation in City Hall East. The building was a total mess then, and it's amazing what they were able to do to bring it back as a useful and aesthetically pleasing structure. It reminded both me and my wife of the Ferry Building in San Francisco, and that's a very good thing.

It's a shame that the food hall isn't really up and running yet. It might end up being great but in all truth, it's too soon to say. We did enjoy some gelato from Honeysuckle but honestly have had better elsewhere.

We enjoyed going through the Williams-Sonoma and Anthropologie stores, but have a couple of each of those closer to us so we won't be going to PCM just for these. The Frye shop was interesting - hadn't been in one before - but I prefer Allen-Edmonds shoes. The hat boutique is a cool idea but it's such a niche market that I can't see them lasting too long.

I chuckled when someone else in this thread mentioned liking the smell of the place. What smell I did notice on the inside was pleasant enough, or at least inoffensive. However, we followed the stairs up to the large open area in the back that leads to the Beltline, and we found a pervasive and very unpleasant smell of cooking oil - fast food style grease smells, really - there. I suppose at least one of the food establishments has their exhaust fans blowing into this courtyard rather than up through the roof. My wife and I remarked to each other that we would be pretty annoyed if we were paying some pretty serious rent for the apartments in this place only to put up with that cooking oil smell everywhere, particularly if you wanted to open your windows. But to each his own, I suppose ...

Overall, this is a pretty interesting place and an asset to the area. Too soon to tell if it will qualify as a true destination - we need to see what a fully open food hall brings to make that determination - but if you're in the area it's certainly worth checking out from time to time.
I smelled the exhaust from the kitchens as well, but when I did I saw a room where people were working on the exhaust system so I doubt it will be permanent. No reason to spend tens of millions on a development to have something so small overlooked.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:33 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,318,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I smelled the exhaust from the kitchens as well, but when I did I saw a room where people were working on the exhaust system so I doubt it will be permanent. No reason to spend tens of millions on a development to have something so small overlooked.
I hope, and, indeed, expect that you are correct!

Old 10-06-2015, 04:03 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,993,483 times
Wow, that was rude...did I miss something?

Old 10-06-2015, 04:06 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,993,483 times
Oh never mind...i certainly did miss something.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:28 PM

145 posts, read 166,293 times
the wife and i checked it out today. seems like a very cool spot to hang out with a good variety of food options, obviously with more coming. we tried the szechuan food and bar and sat outside. we later tried hop's chicken. holeman and finch was a mad house the entire time.

i think the concept is great, but definitely has a hipster-like feel. ironically, south park's latest episode felt quite familiar at PCM.

The City Part of Town - Full Episode - Season 19 - Ep 03 | South Park Studios

we'll come back again after the rest of the food hall gets built out.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:27 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,452,693 times
Great , but get the parking together. It should be more than one machine to pay at near the West Elm parking. It was a long single line to pay for parking. I love how Atlanta is coming together. This is a game changer. Who needs the suburbs and stop coming into the city clogging up our roads.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,131,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Great , but get the parking together. It should be more than one machine to pay at near the West Elm parking. It was a long single line to pay for parking. I love how Atlanta is coming together. This is a game changer. Who needs the suburbs and stop coming into the city clogging up our roads.
Parking needs to be pay while exiting (like in Atlantic Station) instead of the current pre-pay system.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:03 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,188,351 times
Minero, opening today at Ponce City Market.

We LOVED the one in Charleston!

Sneak a peek at Sean Brock’s Minero, opening today at Ponce City Market | Atlanta Restaurant Scene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: