Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:10 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Let's not start tooting Atlanta's economy too soon. Atlanta's economy is still in the dumps with a well above average unemployment rate.
No it isn't. The job growth is accelerating toward it's historical norm and it's unemployment rate is falling, corporate relocations have continued, and it's GMP is increasing.

P.S. Has anyone done the "math" yet and figured out who this is??

(The sooner he gets re-banned the better and more peaceful the forum will be.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 09:05 AM

457 posts, read 905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
http://www.cushwakeatlanta.com/wp-co...nfographic.pdf

Atlanta finally beat Dallas with 3.4% job growth vs. Dallas's 3.2% job growth for May 2014 to May 2015.
Atlanta is also tied for first with Miami for forecasted job growth from 2015 to 2018 with 9.0% job growth. Dallas is only forecasted for 8.6%
The growth you are citing is for the entire DFW metro - fair enough. For the record, Forth Worth is lagging, but Dallas is doing great. From the US Dept of Labor:

Quote:
Metropolitan Division Nonfarm Employment (Not Seasonally Adjusted)

In June, nonfarm payroll employment increased in 35 of the 38 metropolitan
divisions over the year and decreased in 3. The largest over-the-year increase in
employment among the metropolitan divisions occurred in New York-Jersey City-White
Plains, N.Y.-N.J. (+139,400), followed by Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, Calif.
(+106,500), and Dallas-Plano-Irving, Texas (+91,400).

The largest over-the-year percentage increase in employment among the metropolitan
divisions occurred in Tacoma-Lakewood, Wash. (+4.7 percent), followed by San
Francisco-Redwood City-South San Francisco, Calif. (+4.2 percent), and Dallas-Plano-
Irving, Texas (+4.0 percent)
LINK to PDF

I spend a great deal of time in both Atlanta and Dallas. My perception is that Atlanta is doing well, but Dallas is operating at a completely different level, at least for the moment. In any case, it is good to see Atlanta back in the game.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:03 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Yeah, Dallas is still generating more jobs than Atlanta is. The suburbs there are growing like crazy.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:36 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
The growth you are citing is for the entire DFW metro - fair enough. For the record, Forth Worth is lagging, but Dallas is doing great. From the US Dept of Labor:

LINK to PDF

I spend a great deal of time in both Atlanta and Dallas. My perception is that Atlanta is doing well, but Dallas is operating at a completely different level, at least for the moment. In any case, it is good to see Atlanta back in the game.
If you'll read this release carefully, you will see that some of that is not MSA's but "metropolitan divisions" instead. There are often several "divisions" within a single MSA. Dallas's MSA contains Ft. Worth, but that 91,000 figure doesn't include it-only Dallas-Plano-Irving. Dallas and Houston have surely burned rubber this decade and have created lots of new jobs. Dallas is not as affected by the energy industry as Houston is, but to some degree, Texas is cooling as the energy boom declines. Houston's job growth is slowing dramatically.

Houston is bordering on a job crash:
Economist: Houston employers to create as few as 13,000 jobs this year - Prime Property

Old 08-01-2015, 11:21 AM

457 posts, read 905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
If you'll read this release carefully, you will see that some of that is not MSA's but "metropolitan divisions" instead. There are often several "divisions" within a single MSA. Dallas's MSA contains Ft. Worth, but that 91,000 figure doesn't include it-only Dallas-Plano-Irving.
Correct, the Dallas division is doing very well, the FT Worth division is growing, but not so much. Something I love about statistics is that they can tell a different story depending on how they are sliced.

Anyway, my production team has been trying to lease studio space in Atlanta for our show without much success. A couple of weeks ago, our banker actually suggested that we would make more money building a new studio from scratch, and then leasing it when we were done with it.

Another anecdote: I was in LA in June, and when I told the locals that I was from Atlanta, one would think that I just pissed in their coffee. Atlanta is clearly eating LA's lunch for TV production and they are not happy about it one bit.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:38 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Let's not start tooting Atlanta's economy too soon. Atlanta's economy is still in the dumps with a well above average unemployment rate.
Your posting history proves that you are not qualified to speak on anything related to Atlanta.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:55 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Your posting history proves that you are not qualified to speak on anything related to Atlanta.
Any of us can post anywhere on this forum actually. I lived in Atlanta for a year.

It is quite easy to post on the economics of Atlanta. If you scroll down to the bottom of this list, you will see your city.

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Old 08-01-2015, 02:18 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Hi, Mathman.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:56 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Any of us can post anywhere on this forum actually. I lived in Atlanta for a year.

It is quite easy to post on the economics of Atlanta. If you scroll down to the bottom of this list, you will see your city.

Of course any of us can post anywhere on this forum. HOWEVER that isn't the same thing as being qualified to speak with any authority or credibility on a place, of which you have zero of in regards to Atlanta.

And the unemployment rate only tells part of the picture. Only Dallas created more jobs in raw numbers than Atlanta did in the past year, and people continue to move here in droves. I know it doesn't fit your anti-Atlanta agenda, but that is hardly the definition of "in the dumps."

Old 08-01-2015, 03:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:

Well when you have a metro area that people were still moving to in droves even while the economy was in the doldrums, it will take time for job growth to catch up. Clearly Atlanta is now on the right path which is what counts. If you don't like that, oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta