Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:45 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,791,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
This isn't always the case.. It may be the case in places like Atlanta or Georgia as a whole but a lot of places and regions just aren't that closed minded anymore and it has nothing to do with people being forced to interact..
Do you know what "generally speaking" means?

Generally speaking that is true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 10:55 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,791,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Hey man, I kinda feel ya and where you are coming from. People are just stupid like that. I remember when I first moved here people would always assume I was from New York or Philly and would be more respectful, when I would say I was from Florida they would behave like I wasnt up on game or something. Some people think that if you are not from a city the size of Chicago then you are not aware of things they think you should be aware of. Social Media and the internet has kind of killed all of that. Everyone is aware of everything now if they want to be. Ill used that Atlanta Hip Hop history doc as a perfect example. Atlanta rappers used to be insecure about New York and LA viewed them locally and Atlanta rap acts used to emulate the New York and West coast rappers until Outkast and Dungeon dropped. The City man will always be attractive to the country woman until the city man insults her way of life lol. I say let it go or move to a bigger city if it means that much to you. Atlanta folks will never respect Macon the way they do Chicago or DC or Philly. Until Macon has everything they have.
Lol...I hope you were trolling. No Atlanta natives never bring up those cities. The only city Atlanta natives may bring up is LA.

Why do we have to "respect" Macon when Macon doesn't respect Camilla or Ty Ty, Ga?

Last edited by afdinatl; 08-03-2015 at 11:07 AM..

Old 08-03-2015, 10:56 AM

719 posts, read 1,334,642 times
Country!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-03-2015, 11:29 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,051,527 times
Quote:
They may or may not, depending on the city but some are more open minded when it comes to certain things especially interracial relationships, I just feel Atlanta is really still closed minded..Most races here still stick to their own and look at you crazy if you're outside that group. You have to travel to experience for yourself, I think u will be plesently suprised.. The point is Atlanta is not the only big city of importance in the south..
You seem to be assuming that people responding here haven't traveled...I would assume the opposite judging from the many comments I've read - people responding here have traveled and are aware of the world outside of Atlanta.

I think most understand that Atlanta isn't the only important southern city...but it is arguably the most important southern city. I also don't generally find people here to be closed-minded, and that is from a viewpoint of having seen most of the US and some of the world as well - and having lived in two other major US cities and in London. Yes, you can find narrow-minded people, but the general population is as open-minded as anywhere. The rest of Georgia is similar in my experiences...a mix of all kinds of people.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:43 AM

2,428 posts, read 2,486,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Lol...I hope you were trolling. No Atlanta natives never bring up those cities. The only city Atlanta natives may bring up is LA.

Why do we have to "respect" Macon when Macon doesn't respect Camilla or Ty Ty, Ga?
Lol, it's funny because I don't find that to be the case that Atl doesn't respect Macon or Vice versa, at least people I have known or talk to. That goes for Savannah or any other 2nd Tiers as well... I think for the most part every one knows their place in the state... Those other places you name no one has rarely heard of if at all

Old 08-03-2015, 11:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,846,198 times
Quote:
You are so right here and i couldnt agree with you More. I guess the whole Point to Get out of all of this is Every State has Major Cities, Hub Cities, Midsized Cities, Small Towns, and a Rural Country Side, including New York and Califorina, some of our Nations most populated and Largest States. Its almost like every state is its own Country with in one nation and they all have their own Capital but the Nations Capital is DC... The Cities Layout may be different in a lot of cases Especially Tennessee Cities(Memphis and Nashville) which hold their population in the Center Making its City larger than Atlanta but Metro Area is Smaller. The population in a lot of states like Tennessee and North Carolina balances out population in its 2nd Tiers more than Georgia does where a Majority resides in Metro Atlanta. For Example Knoxville and Chattanooga Metro gets a pretty healthy Metro Population compaired to Georgia other Metros. But by no mean is Tennessee and Kentucky back woods like a lot of people in Georgia Stereo Type. Their are parts of Louisville, KY way more dense and look and feel far more Urban than most Urban part of Atlanta. Even Check out Covington, Ky just across from Cincinnati and tell me what you think.. Just Travel Guys to see for your self and if you cant just check out Google Earth or Google Maps...Like i said Atlanta and Georgia used to get this Country Stereo Type until it blew up after the Olympics in 1996...Explore you Guys and you will see our Nation is a very Huge place even in places you never thought...

I have been to Louisville and it is a great city IMO. As are many smaller, less talked about cities. I also love Fort Wayne, IN. Toledo, where I am from is similar to Fort Wayne IMO except Fort Wayne is a bit prettier.

People I'm sure will take offense, but when I first moved to Atlanta in the 1990s, I was shocked at how "country" Atlanta was lol!

I had never been to a "big city" that didn't have consistent sidewalks and IMO much of the city itself was suburban in nature. Where I'm from, there are consistent sidewalks in the city and mail boxes are not at the curb and when I was a kid us who lived in the city didn't take yellow buses to school, we took the city bus or walked or rode bikes and only "country" kids or "special" kids took the yellow buses.

So people do have different views of what is country and what it city. But IMO, a city with more than 100K people is not "country" or "rural" for the most part. Now that I know more about the development of Atlanta, I see how the things I saw that were "country" are just based upon the history of the city and the suburban communities that became a part of Atlanta in the 1800s and 1900s.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Lol, it's funny because I don't find that to be the case that Atl doesn't respect Macon or Vice versa, at least people I have known or talk to. That goes for Savannah or any other 2nd Tiers as well... I think for the most part every one knows their place in the state... Those other places you name no one has rarely heard of if at all
Savannah seems to be very respected here as the mother-city and historical center of the state. It is probably as known worldwide as Atlanta - or at least a close second. I love Macon and the historic preservation there, so this Atlantan respects Macon, Savannah, and all the other Georgia cities.

I think many outside the state assume that Georgia is just Atlanta...everything else just isn't worth a dime. I've seen it said that way on this site many times, and I'm quick to point out the beautiful cities/towns/countryside outside of Atlanta. I would honestly think that most people who have lived here more than a year or two DO know about the rest of Georgia and have a certain amount of respect for it.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I have been to Louisville and it is a great city IMO.
LOVE Louisville...it's definitely overlooked when discussing great US cities.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:41 PM

2,428 posts, read 2,486,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
LOVE Louisville...it's definitely overlooked when discussing great US cities.

Me Too!!! I love Louisville Kentucky as well. Very unique City... I love the fact its a Two State Metro with Indiana...Two for the price of one city, lol...

Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,960,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Savannah seems to be very respected here as the mother-city and historical center of the state. It is probably as known worldwide as Atlanta - or at least a close second. I love Macon and the historic preservation there, so this Atlantan respects Macon, Savannah, and all the other Georgia cities.

I think many outside the state assume that Georgia is just Atlanta...everything else just isn't worth a dime. I've seen it said that way on this site many times, and I'm quick to point out the beautiful cities/towns/countryside outside of Atlanta. I would honestly think that most people who have lived here more than a year or two DO know about the rest of Georgia and have a certain amount of respect for it.
Being FROM Metro Atlanta (where I visit often) and living in Savannah, I have a real appreciation for both cities and all the things that make each wonderful in their own way. I also have a respect for the other second-tier cities and the the other small towns as well since I have made it a point my life to get to know Georgia from one end to the other and I'm very proud of the state. It is very obvious in this thread that a lot of people who live in metro Atlanta do not know very much about the rest of Georgia -- especially those who moved to Atlanta from other states and have never even given themselves the opportunity to explore the rest of Georgia.

One thing that is very surprising and eye-opening is the sheer mass of tourists who visit Savannah from all over the nation and world who have never ever been to Atlanta. I meet them all the time and in fact on Saturday night had a great conversation with a couple of guys from Ohio who fly down to Savannah all the time but have never been to Atlanta. (Yep, you can actually FLY DIRECT to Savannah from other major cities without going through ATL!) They were asking me what Atlanta is like. Imagine trying to describe Atlanta to people whose only image of Georgia is Savannah? I'm afraid to say they might be disappointed!

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-03-2015 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta