Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:35 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times

Advertisements

So I was thinking....

Norcross, Duluth, and Suwanee are all perfectly connected via rail. They all have historic train depots and are right along the tracks, but Norfolk Southern will never allow commuter rail on those tracks for an affordable price.

But guess what else all these towns have in common? They're all right on, or within easy walking distance to, Buford Highway.

So what if we put a streetcar on Buford Highway? They are always talking about adding a median, slowing down the speed limit, etc....I say, don't put in a median, put in streetcar tracks. Do it where you would put in a median, giving the streetcar its own right of way. And you don't need a stop every mile, just have it stop in downtown Norcross, Duluth, and Suwanee...kind of like, commuter streetcar. Then, have it connect to MARTA so people could actually take it to work and intowners could easily come to these towns for festivals, etc.

If they wanted to, they could even extend the streetcar down Buford Highway all the way to Lindbergh. Why not? There are tons of people intown along Buford Highway that don't have cars that are always getting hit trying to cross the road. Why let all the private Latino taxi and bus companies down there make all the money, let them ride a public streetcar.

Well, that's what I think we should do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 06:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So I was thinking....

Norcross, Duluth, and Suwanee are all perfectly connected via rail. They all have historic train depots and are right along the tracks, but Norfolk Southern will never allow commuter rail on those tracks for an affordable price.

But guess what else all these towns have in common? They're all right on, or within easy walking distance to, Buford Highway.

So what if we put a streetcar on Buford Highway? They are always talking about adding a median, slowing down the speed limit, etc....I say, don't put in a median, put in streetcar tracks. Do it where you would put in a median, giving the streetcar its own right of way. And you don't need a stop every mile, just have it stop in downtown Norcross, Duluth, and Suwanee...kind of like, commuter streetcar. Then, have it connect to MARTA so people could actually take it to work and intowners could easily come to these towns for festivals, etc.

If they wanted to, they could even extend the streetcar down Buford Highway all the way to Lindbergh. Why not? There are tons of people intown along Buford Highway that don't have cars that are always getting hit trying to cross the road. Why let all the private Latino taxi and bus companies down there make all the money, let them ride a public streetcar.

I think Buford Hwy is the perfect corridor for BRT traveling in it's own lane; similar to the HealthLine in Cleveland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HealthLine

Old 10-26-2015, 07:49 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,862 times
Quote:
So I was thinking....

Well, we might actually have a better chance of getting Commuter rail on that route than nearly any other in the city. Assuming this map still holds true, you'll notice that the Noth-East corner of the city isn't all that busy, even compared to the Clayton High-Capacity Transit corridor that MARTA and NS are studying currently. Depending on how NS cooperates with Clayton, MARTA may have grounds to extend Commuter rail service North, assuming Gwinnett is game.

As for streetcars, I wouldn't suggest them. What you're probably looking for is light rail. It might seem like arguing semantics, but it's kinda important here. Streetcars run in the roadway, have close-packed stops, and work best when there's high density. Light rail can have much more spaced out stops and runs in its own dedicated corridor (which would be necessary for Buford HWY), acting a bit more like a commuter train.

As was already mentioned, for the lower-density, but higher ridership areas of Buford Hwy, BRT would probably be more than enough to handle the volume on its own, and would probably fit the hills of Buford Highway, at least closer intown, much better than streetcars would. As in, the vehicles would probably handle them better.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:44 AM

Why not this?

SkyTran's air taxis to debut in Israel. U.S. could be next. - Oct. 23, 2015

Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Why not use the existing roadway and run high frequency bus? It's cheaper and is the most efficient use of our minimal transportation funds.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:02 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
Streetcar, no. Especially since Buford Highway is not in Atlanta city limits, where the streetcar's territory will be.

BRT, heck yeah. Especially once Gwinnett joins MARTA. Let's do a Healthline-style dedicated lanes BRT, that runs along Buford Highway (and Sidney Marcus), from Lindbergh Station, all the way up to Duluth, or even the Suwanee Town Center. And it would connect with a new MARTA Gold line station at Amwiler Rd.

It really is perfect for it, with how straight of a road it is, and how it runs through restaurant districts and city downtowns.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:14 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
A lot of the stations along the way could be little mini park & rides for communities in Gwinnett. It would nicely connect the entire western half of Gwinnett into the Lindbergh hub station.

It would spur a ton of TOD. Really would be so awesome and worth it, for the relatively low cost. A BRT would have the best impact vs. cost, as opposed to light rail.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:17 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,778 times
As long as it serves as a complment to the MARTA Gold Line (and extension into Gwinnett), I could see a BRT/LRT line work well.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Why not use the existing roadway and run high frequency bus? It's cheaper and is the most efficient use of our minimal transportation funds.
Yep, that would make the most sense.

But what it ignores, unfortunately, is human psychology. It's just not sexy.

And if there's one thing we've learned in Atlanta, I think it's that no matter what you do, no matter how you dress it up, no matter how hard you try.....ain't nobody wanna ride a bus.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Yep, that would make the most sense.

But what it ignores, unfortunately, is human psychology. It's just not sexy.

And if there's one thing we've learned in Atlanta, I think it's that no matter what you do, no matter how you dress it up, no matter how hard you try.....ain't nobody wanna ride a bus.
The 39, current bus route, is one of the busiest in the system and most frequent. The ridership exist, making it BRT would attract more demand riders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta