Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 02:34 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,171,669 times

Advertisements

Looks like an interesting idea, it will be interesting to see if this idea gains traction and goes anywhere...

Quote:
Buildable intown land is at a premium right now, large green spaces are relatively scarce and, generally speaking, parks generate jack in terms of revenue. So what's a city like Atlanta to do? Create linear parks in the airspaces over our plentiful interstates — that's what! For years, we've been calling for some sort of beautified, public-accessible cap to be built over a portion of The Connector. More recently, Buckhead movers-and-shakers have come together to put a bona fide plan into action — one that will seek expert proposals on how to build it next month. And now, from a historic neighborhood that was sliced in two by interstates 50 years ago, comes the newest unfunded but glorious vision. This extraordinarily detailed idea is the brainchild of Rob Smith, a longtime Grant Park resident and real estate agent with a heart for preserving history. Have a gander at Smith's potential game-changing interstate park after the jump, and then demand that your local representatives make all of this stuff happen. Phase I - Build a linear overpass over the section between Hill Street and Grant Street. This would include a structure that would immediately begin to make use of the space: a small, reversable open-air amphitheatre. Local performances and smaller events would utilize the seating in the theatre itself, while larger events would have the stage performance face the green space while seating would be set up on the "mall" facing the stage.

Facilities like maintenance, restrooms and other necessary in-strucure needs would be housed under the amphitheater seating. The east-facing entrance/exit ramps from Hill Street to I-20 would have raised coverings topped with grass, shrubs and trees, and would terminate close to Hill Street itself. The amphitheatre would have an elevated back or elevated topography with trees and shrubs in the back tied in with the inner walls of the raised entrance/exit ramp coverings so as to mitigate any noise from Hill Street as well as the entrance and exit ramps themselves.

Crushed gravel east-west sidewalks under tress would bank the north and south of the mall, all the way down to a reconnection of the current termination points of Grant Street with a traffic-calming roundabout. The roundabout would be surrounded by a semi-structural garden hedge along with a hedge banking the eastern edge of the overpass that would help mitigate the interstate noise from the mall pending the construction of Phase II...
Highway-Capping Fever has Spread to Grant Park - Fund This Now - Curbed Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 02:40 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,757 times
Sounds good. I wonder what happened to the national mall idea for MLK near the Capitol?

Old 09-30-2015, 02:41 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
All these caps are great ideas, but who pays for it?

Old 09-30-2015, 05:22 PM

561 posts, read 781,723 times
It's always easy to propose projects when dealing in Monopoly money.

Unfortunately, it doesn't spend though.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:25 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It should have been done when the highways were originally built. But I think having highway users pay for it now still works too. Seems appropriate to reverse some of the damage done by the highways.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:37 PM

770 posts, read 604,211 times
The Buckhead and Midtown/Downtown Connector ones make more sense financially, real estate prices would rise dramatically, so in that sense, while the cost upfront would be great, it could earn it back in time potentially with a decent sized park in those regions and the improved growth and development around those areas, particularly in Buckhead, where there is a lack of green space right near there.

Too bad, they can't use that hotel taxing plan for capping some of this stuff, to improve the city as a whole too, clear out the highways.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:48 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,242,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It should have been done when the highways were originally built. But I think having highway users pay for it now still works too. Seems appropriate to reverse some of the damage done by the highways.
This logic checks out.

I love the idea. This is another good idea that helps make a great city.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:19 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Put another penny on the folks in that neck of the woods.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:52 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,125,655 times
Depending on the grade of the freeway, this would likely require demolishing many of the homes immediately adjacent to I-20 and raising the surrounding land to prevent the "berm" effect.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:40 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,832,279 times
Yeah creating a nice, flat, linear "mall" park like you've got in DC requires a consistent grade along the highway, and matching grades from the north to the south side. It's not like you can just build a flat "ceiling" on I-20 and call it good. I'm guessing there is quite a bit of undulation in the terrain along the route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: