Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 12:04 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times

Advertisements

Found this cool map tool where you can map one area and compare to another so I "roughly" overlayed the NY subway system over Atlanta. Basically Manhattan, Bronx, Kings, Queens.

Basically you can fit that entire system ITP. I know there's the Long Island Rail that goes farther. My wife has family on Long Island and they drive everywhere except for the one guy that works in Manhattan and does take the railway.

My background, born (1978) and raised in Acworth. Lived downtown for about 8 years during college at GT and some after graduating, then to Pebblebrook/Smyrna area for 2 years and moved back to Acworth once married, took CCT Xpress 480 from Acworth to Downtown for almost 7 years. I now work in Acworth.

I don't think Cobb needs rail, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to other forms of transit. I've always talked about density, both home and job density, to justify the cost/overhead of rail. We're just not set up for it, so that's why I don't see the value, especially after living downtown and then also doing the commute.

Anyway, didn't start this thread to debate, but here's the map. You can create your own to compare or move this one around. I tried to basically overlay it on top of the current Marta system. The interesting thing is how small the area of coverage actually is.

MAPfrappe - Move Outlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM

253 posts, read 303,388 times
Isn't Brooklyn alone bigger than the entire city of AtlantA?

Old 09-22-2015, 12:16 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmereEsquire View Post
No.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:24 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Brooklyn: 71 sq. miles
City of Atlanta: 132 sq. miles

Old 09-22-2015, 02:44 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Yep! We need to focus on better transit coverage closer in and thus being able to support more density.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:23 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Queens is the closest in size to the city of Atlanta at 109 square miles. All together though, all five boroughs add up to 303 square miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Found this cool map tool where you can map one area and compare to another so I "roughly" overlayed the NY subway system over Atlanta. Basically Manhattan, Bronx, Kings, Queens.

Basically you can fit that entire system ITP. I know there's the Long Island Rail that goes farther. My wife has family on Long Island and they drive everywhere except for the one guy that works in Manhattan and does take the railway.

My background, born (1978) and raised in Acworth. Lived downtown for about 8 years during college at GT and some after graduating, then to Pebblebrook/Smyrna area for 2 years and moved back to Acworth once married, took CCT Xpress 480 from Acworth to Downtown for almost 7 years. I now work in Acworth.

I don't think Cobb needs rail, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to other forms of transit. I've always talked about density, both home and job density, to justify the cost/overhead of rail. We're just not set up for it, so that's why I don't see the value, especially after living downtown and then also doing the commute.

Anyway, didn't start this thread to debate, but here's the map. You can create your own to compare or move this one around. I tried to basically overlay it on top of the current Marta system. The interesting thing is how small the area of coverage actually is.

MAPfrappe - Move Outlines
You know, a lot people always say that MARTA needs to cover as much area as the NYC Subway, but as your map shows it already does. The difference comes in with how many lines there are. Obviously, there is no need to for MARTA to have as many lines as the subway does (34) given the extreme difference in population. Not to say MARTA doesn't need to or should expand, but it's a red herring for someone to list out what's wrong with MARTA and then point at the NYC subway like such a system would even be needed here.

Thanks for sharing though. It is quiet an interesting map to look at. It just blows my mind to think that the five boroughs of NYC is roughly the same size of ITP, but where we have just a little over 1 million people there are 8.4 million in the same physical space in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta