Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 01:02 AM

18 posts, read 60,296 times

Advertisements

I have visited the Atlanta area twice over the past 3 years. I'm a mom of 7th and 8th graders, tired of the cold winters, snow and ridiculously high property taxes of Jersey and ready to make a move to Atlanta. I have no family there, the nearest relatives are in Hollywood FL, but I fell in love with the amount of house and type of swim/tennis community the Atlanta area has for the money (as compared to Jersey/Philly/Delaware). I like the good schools and low taxes of Forsyth, but am a little concerned about lack of demographic diversity. The schools I've researched in S. Fulton seem subpar so that's kind of scared me off that area. As an LPN I can't afford the better school districts of N. Fulton. I'm tired of paying for private school so this move needs to be the best of schools, taxes, and property value.
Also, here I do make a fairly decent salary, but I've heard that LPN's don't make as much in the south. Most job searches don't post salary info. Any help with information of areas with LPN positions and decent salaries (are most of the hospitals RN staffed only there?) and safe subdivisions in diverse areas with good schools would be so appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 01:47 AM

9 posts, read 33,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillykat View Post
I have visited the Atlanta area twice over the past 3 years. I'm a mom of 7th and 8th graders, tired of the cold winters, snow and ridiculously high property taxes of Jersey and ready to make a move to Atlanta. I have no family there, the nearest relatives are in Hollywood FL, but I fell in love with the amount of house and type of swim/tennis community the Atlanta area has for the money (as compared to Jersey/Philly/Delaware). I like the good schools and low taxes of Forsyth, but am a little concerned about lack of demographic diversity. The schools I've researched in S. Fulton seem subpar so that's kind of scared me off that area. As an LPN I can't afford the better school districts of N. Fulton. I'm tired of paying for private school so this move needs to be the best of schools, taxes, and property value.
Also, here I do make a fairly decent salary, but I've heard that LPN's don't make as much in the south. Most job searches don't post salary info. Any help with information of areas with LPN positions and decent salaries (are most of the hospitals RN staffed only there?) and safe subdivisions in diverse areas with good schools would be so appreciated.
I moved here from Charlotte about 15 months ago. I am currently working as a LPN here in home healthcare. If you want to float in order to check out what the hospital scene is like, work with NurseFinders. There pay is good and they do hospital staffing. If you would like home health, try Maxim for good pay and plenty of work, PSA for plenty of work with average pay and lax office staff, and Bayada Nurses---a good place to work for, but they are the new kid on the block, and therefore, struggling to build a large caseload. I live in Sandy Springs and I love it. You should be able to find an apartment within a LPN salary range here. Sandy Springs is in N. Fulton. Also, try Dunwoody which is next to Sandy Springs. Cobb County Schools are good, paricularly East Cobb. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 AM

Thanks for the reply, I will def look into these staffing agencies.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 PM

Default Help, info needed about Forsyth v S Fulton

Anyone know anything, good or bad, about the Concord Farms subdivision by Aston Woods in Cumming or Evans Farms by McCar Homes in Cumming. We visited these two communities in October, both seemed great, but it's so hard to base a new move from a weekend visit to the area. If anyone is familiar with the area and has insight into what the neighborhood/communities are really like, or any experience with those builders please reply.

From what I've read on this site thus far Forsyth seems to be one of the less diverse areas, but the quality of the schools is very important to me. We also visited Legacy at Palmetto Falls and Palmer Falls. Palmetto Falls is in the higher taxes of S Fulton and the less desirable school district. I did find info that the high school has a highly touted Science magnet program. Any insight into this, please share.

Thanks for any info that I can use to help guide my search and get my family out of New Jersey!

Old 01-02-2009, 05:27 PM

20 posts, read 52,886 times
I'm an LPN in Philly that will be moving to Atlanta at the end of February. I do have a 13 year old daughter and I will be visiting Atlanta the week of January 19th. I've been researching Atlanta for about a year. Up here in Philly I make a great deal more than down south, but the cost of living is low. If I come across and info that may help you, I will pass it along to you. Good Luck.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 PM

Thanks for looking out.
Good luck to you with your move.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 AM

10 posts, read 69,186 times
Default Buckhead!

I suggest Bennington Towers in Buckhead

24 hr concierge

Close to all the major interstates

Best school systems

More secure area- mostly residential area

Close to shopping center

Old 01-15-2009, 03:04 PM

114 posts, read 475,901 times
Uhhh, watch out for ATLFun. He/she has posted the exact same thing on numerous threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta