Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 10:25 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Wait, couldn't connecting Cobb to Atlanta via a PATH allow 'those people' to access Cobb and rape/pillage the residents?
Those urban people will be carrying stolen TVs back into the city on their bikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 01:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Wait, couldn't connecting Cobb to Atlanta via a PATH allow 'those people' to access Cobb and rape/pillage the residents?
Strangely enough, "those people" have had cars for decades. Of course, the folks in Cobb who have their head in the sand haven't noticed those little trends.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:29 AM

The first phase of the design of the Southside Trail, focusing just on the Bill Kennedy Way section which is particularly challenging, has been progressing very nicely. They have had a few rounds of public meetings now to narrow down the design. Yesterday they presented these (still not final) plans for a "shared street" design through Glenwood Park that would be a first in Atlanta. The community was very supportive of the plans. It looks very promising.

http://beltlineorg.wpengine.netdna-c...-7.25.16-1.pdf

Old 07-26-2016, 08:46 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Man, that third pic really wanted to drive home the transit aspect. Two MARTA buses and a streetcar.

Anyway, these look nice! I can't believe I'm about to say this, but traffic sure seems like it'll be an issue. I fully support the neighborhood wanting to shift to a more 'local destination' kind of street, but I'll be surprised if the drivers stay with that vision, given the ramps and limited crossings of I-20 in that area.

I'm not sure what can realistically be done about that, other than closing the rams, and maybe building more bridges? Perhaps they could just move forward with the capping of that section if I-20, and reintroduce a lot of the removed street-grid?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The first phase of the design of the Southside Trail, focusing just on the Bill Kennedy Way section which is particularly challenging, has been progressing very nicely. They have had a few rounds of public meetings now to narrow down the design. Yesterday they presented these (still not final) plans for a "shared street" design through Glenwood Park that would be a first in Atlanta. The community was very supportive of the plans. It looks very promising.

http://beltlineorg.wpengine.netdna-c...-7.25.16-1.pdf

Eastside of Bill Kennedy is ideal as it removes the conflict with the I-20 ramps.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Anyway, these look nice! I can't believe I'm about to say this, but traffic sure seems like it'll be an issue. I fully support the neighborhood wanting to shift to a more 'local destination' kind of street, but I'll be surprised if the drivers stay with that vision, given the ramps and limited crossings of I-20 in that area.

I'm not sure what can realistically be done about that, other than closing the rams, and maybe building more bridges? Perhaps they could just move forward with the capping of that section if I-20, and reintroduce a lot of the removed street-grid?
I think this plan will end up being a great example of how you can cut down on traffic with road design. There is no miracle solution (well, yes, closing those ramps would do a lot to help) but I think this street will be very pleasant to travel down via any method. However, don't expect to roll along any faster than 10mph in a car. If you are trying to cut through you will quickly learn this area is a better place to live / visit than to try to quickly cut-through in a car.

Quote:
Eastside of Bill Kennedy is ideal as it removes the conflict with the I-20 ramps.
Yes, that was one of the key things that was being evaluated and running the trail on the eastside was the obvious choice.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:03 AM

687 posts, read 745,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Man, that third pic really wanted to drive home the transit aspect. Two MARTA buses and a streetcar.

One of those MARTA buses is clearly behind schedule

Old 07-26-2016, 10:13 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I am okay with the shared street idea in appropriate circumstances.

There could be situations where the local taxpayers prefer not to have a zillion people walking or biking down their street.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am okay with the shared street idea in appropriate circumstances.

There could be situations where the local taxpayers prefer not to have a zillion people walking or biking down their street.

There is always Cobb County for that. ^^^

Old 07-26-2016, 11:29 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Why would placing the trail on the west side even be considered?

Anyways, this looks way better than I expected. For some reason, I didn't think they would add on to the width of the bridge. With the extra room, this looks a lot more doable. Not sure if this or the Krog St crossing will be the crummiest part of the Beltline now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta