Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 08:31 AM

74 posts, read 74,742 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can somebody please tell me what is the current eviction process for the state of Georgia? My friend may be getting evicted and reached out to me, however, I no longer reside in the state to provide accurate information. Therefore, any help would be greatly appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 09:27 AM

84 posts, read 123,811 times
There is so much missing information. I would advise your friend to contact legal representation, or do the actual research himself.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:28 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
It's also depends on the county. The quicker you start the process the better.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Assuming that you know nothing, here is a little bit of background info that is not a substitute for getting legal help--but just to give you a very general idea how it works some places.
(Btw, some counties have FAQs for landlords and tenants on their magistrate court websites.):
In Gwinnett and Barrow what I've seen (more or less) is that the landlord first lets the tenant know that he wants them out. Then files a dispossessory notice with the county. The sheriff tacks the notice on the door. Tenant then can choose to fight the dispo in magistrate court or not. Assuming the tenant fights the dispo and everyone shows up and the tenant loses in court--the tenant may be given a certain amount of time to move out on their own, after that time the landlord can bring a writ of possession to the Sherrif and arrange for the tenants possessions be brought to the curb. I've been told that if the landlord accepts any payment after the dispo has been filed, then the process has to start over (but that would have to be proven).

Old 10-13-2015, 12:32 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
"Your Friend" could just pay the rent or leave, problem solved.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
"Your Friend" could just pay the rent or leave, problem solved
Exactly.

Who wants to live in a place that wants to evict you, anyway? And if your friend can't afford to pay the rent, he should find a cheaper place pronto.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Assuming that you know nothing, here is a little bit of background info that is not a substitute for getting legal help--but just to give you a very general idea how it works some places.
(Btw, some counties have FAQs for landlords and tenants on their magistrate court websites.):
In Gwinnett and Barrow what I've seen (more or less) is that the landlord first lets the tenant know that he wants them out. Then files a dispossessory notice with the county. The sheriff tacks the notice on the door. Tenant then can choose to fight the dispo in magistrate court or not. Assuming the tenant fights the dispo and everyone shows up and the tenant loses in court--the tenant may be given a certain amount of time to move out on their own, after that time the landlord can bring a writ of possession to the Sherrif and arrange for the tenants possessions be brought to the curb. I've been told that if the landlord accepts any payment after the dispo has been filed, then the process has to start over (but that would have to be proven).
Of course it would be best to work things out with the landlord (pay the rent or leave), so he does not file a dispo at all.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:28 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
It depends on the reason for the eviction. If it is non-payment of rent, then either your friend can prove they paid it or they can't. If it is for some other reason like violation of the lease or maybe an illegal eviction because the landlord didn't like the way the food they cooked smelled, then they'd have to go to court to prove otherwise.

The basics are the landlord files, a deputy serves the tenant with the notice (or places on door and a decision is made in court whether or not it is a valid reason.

If the landlord wins, then the only real difference with the process between counties is how long it takes for the actual removal of property. For instance, in Cobb County, the person will likely be out with locks changed before the end of the month. In Fulton, it may take two months or longer.

What part of the process is your friend confused about and where in the metro do they live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta