Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:19 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times

Advertisements

While there are certain things we can do to prevent crimes like keep a car clean of bags and electronics. The latest stream of car breakins from Buckhead, East Atlanta, and Midtown is getting out of hand. Within past 48 West End has had 6 car break ins and one home invasion. These are mainly teenagers and unfortunately they are putting their life and others in danger. Just a reminder to be more viligant. We cannot let these punks win. Policing and locking them up has been ineffective. Be careful folks and go to public places in pairs and not alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 08:35 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Do not leave anything visible in your car and they will not waste their time breaking into it.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:44 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
These are mainly teenagers and unfortunately they are putting their life and others in danger . . . Policing and locking them up has been ineffective. Be careful folks and go to public places in pairs and not alone.
I think the fact that it's mostly teenagers doing these crimes is the reason locking them up has been ineffective. We can only lock up a teenager so long for a vehicle larceny or burglary, right?

Also, it's worth noting that Strikemasters are your friend if you live in a neighborhood with burglaries and home invasions.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:05 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Victim Blaming in 3 2 1........

Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Even if you leave nothing in your car, most cars have trunk latches by the driver seat. So, a thief could break into a car with nothing visible inside just to see if there's anything stashed in the trunk. That's one of the pros (and cons) of driving a hatchback.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Even if you leave nothing in your car, most cars have trunk latches by the driver seat. So, a thief could break into a car with nothing visible inside just to see if there's anything stashed in the trunk. That's one of the pros (and cons) of driving a hatchback.
Why would they waste their time doing that when they could just move onto another car? I have never heard of anyone doing that in my neighborhood, but I am sure it has happened.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:51 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why would they waste their time doing that when they could just move onto another car? I have never heard of anyone doing that in my neighborhood, but I am sure it has happened.
We're not talking about a lot of time. A car break in takes five seconds.

People often say their car was broken into even though they left nothing inside. I don't know if I believe those people, but this is one reason why a thief might do that. I have never had my car broken into, except one time, and that was because I left my backpack on the back seat. I left the bait, and a thief took it, so I blame myself. I had to learn the hard way.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:55 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Victim Blaming in 3 2 1........
This type of crime is one in which I do blame the victim. Not that the victim deserves to have their car broken into, but in almost every case, the victim's actions directly resulted in the crime.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:55 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This type of crime is one in which I do blame the victim. Not that the victim deserves to have their car broken into, but in almost every case, the victim's actions directly resulted in the crime.
It's certainly wise not to leave things in the car, but it's the thief's actions that result in the theft. They don't have to steal things simply because they see them. Most of us are not going to drive across town in the middle of the night to break out people's car windows and steal their stuff.

In addition, thieves sometimes break into cars just to hunt around. One of our vehicles was broken into some years ago -- the thief smashed the window and busted open the glove box, although there was nothing in there.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:55 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
in almost every case, the victim's actions directly resulted in the crime
Kind of like all those beautiful women that wear short skirts out on the town, asking to get raped?

You can't ever blame the victim of a crime, no matter what they do. Even if you leave a case of iPhones in your backseat with the door unlocked all night in Bankhead, you still don't deserve to have them stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta